• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Long term bets..

Flem274*

123/5
Who do we have coming up?

He's played 1 tests apiece against India and the West Indies.

2 more against West Indies (away)
3 against Pakistan (away)
3? against Sri Lanka (home)

Then what? We have an England tour next year don't we?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure.

Given he's a reasonable player of spin he might not get completely destroyed in the UAE. Might average low 20s or something.

Sri Lanka at home should be the money series, except that McHesson will probably opt for green pitches which will nullify our massive pace advantage and make our openers sacrificial lambs.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka
1st ANZ Test 26 – 30 December, Hagley Oval, Christchurch - 1100
2nd ANZ Test 3 – 7 January, Hawkins Basin Reserve, Wellington - 1100

1st ANZ ODI Sunday 11 January, Hagley Oval, Christchurch - Day
2nd ANZ ODI Thursday 15 January, Seddon Park, Hamilton - D/N
3rd ANZ ODI Saturday 17 January, Eden Park, Auckland - D/N
4th ANZ ODI Tuesday 20 January, Saxton Oval, Nelson - Day
5th ANZ ODI Friday 23 January, University Oval, Dunedin - Day
6th ANZ ODI Sunday 25 January, University Oval, Dunedin - Day
7th ANZ ODI Wednesday 29 January, Westpac Stadium, Wellington - D/N

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
**** Yeah! If Herath and Sanga are still playing tests by then I reckon I'll cross the tasman

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Update
- Mitchell Johnson less then 1 test hundred
PEWS (kind of weird that he did it an innings defeat)

- Dale Steyn will average over 25.00 with the ball
PEWS - I concede defeat.

- George Bailey will average more then Sarwan in Test Cricket (Bailey must play a test)
PEWS - I guess you never know, he might play Tests again.

- Chris Martin to make a test match 10
NUFAN - Thank god for Shahadat Hossain

- Mahendra Dhoni will average more then Brad Haddin at test cricket (Haddin must play a test).
NUFAN - Dhoni 38.09 vs. 32.98. This one is probably over but Dhoni would be really high on my list of retired Test players most likely to make a comeback.

- Alastair Cook will average more then Graeme Smith in test cricket
PEWS - Smith 48.25 leads Cook 46.35 - I needed Smith to play for longer but you never know Cook might get ahead.

- Yuvraj will average 40 in both forms of the game
PEWS - Yeah, this looks like a completely dud bet. I thought he was a talented, exciting player and if things changed i.e. he moved to the top 3 in ODIs he was certainly capable of achieving 40+, in Tests he underwhelmed.

EDIT - I forgot about this bet..

Prince EWS thinks Krejza will be the best spinner in terms of average in Shield Cricket, min 10 wickets.
NUFAN - Nathan Hauritz 16 wickets @ 35.25, Chris Simpson 14 wickets @ 41.64*, Aaron O'Brien 14 wickets @ 40.57, Jason Krejza 11 wickets @ 50.72 *Average to go up after Shield Final no doubt.

So by my count 7 of the 8 bets are determined, so I owe you $10 PEWS.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Also,

Steve Smith will never average under 35 as a bowler or over 45 as a batsman after 10 test matches.

Morne Morkel will never average under 28 as a bowler.

Broad and Sharma will never average below 30 as bowlers.
2 dud calls there champ.

Flem274*

123/5
Because he's just an average bowler. Can tear through sides when conditions suit and he is in good rhythm, but up against a decent batting lineup I feel as though he'll get hammered. Definitely not sub-25 material. Probably 27 or 28.
i wish perm was still here so those of us not brave enough to make the big calls could give him **** for this

Flem274*

123/5
Jeetan Patel 150+ ODI Wickets

McCullum ODI ton.
Nah, doesn't get selected enough.

Nah, too dire.
I think McCullum will be given ample opportunity under Bracewell to score one. Unwisely being constantly put up the order he's bound to eventually hit one. A very talented batsman, who just needs to calm down at the crease IMO, yet I have no real problems with the way he plays if stuck in his rightful place down the order.

Jeeves deserves the wickets.
Personally, I don't think McCullum is that talented as a batsman at all. As I said in the other thread, he creates the illusion of talent by attempting lots of shots, often off good balls. It usually causes his downfall but on the odd occassion it comes off, he looks great. It's nothing that any batsman couldn't do if he actually thought it would be a good idea, which it isn't.
But he can play all the shots that's the thing. Just uses them wrong, eventually I think he'll get lucky and hit himself a ton.
We are playing Bangladesh soon... ;)
Syed Rasel, Mashrafe Mortaza, Abdur Razzak.

I think not.
My point is that virtually every batsman can play all the shots. They just choose not to, because it's not the best idea to do so, especially if you aren't particularly good at them - like McCullum. The fact that he uses them wrongly actually makes him look better than he is, IMO. It's not his downfall; it's actually his only way of fooling people into thinking he should be persisted with, deliberate or not.

Now, his wicket keeping is good and is batting is useful enough if he bats at around #8. But he most certainly is not a good batsman IMO.
Plenty of doubt from where I stand. Obviously he's more talented than your average person, but I don't think he's any more talented than your average first grade club cricket batsman.
#teamathlai