• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's spin bowling options for the tour Down Under

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I'm guessing India will pick a sixteen man test aquad with twq spots for spinners
Obviously ANil Kumble takes (:p ) a spot.....BUT who do you think will/should partner him ?

The two promising youngsters Chawla and Ojha are almost certainly not in contention - they wouldn't want to blood eiether of them in a test series in Australia.
So its between The Turbanator, Powar and Murali Kartik.

Harbhajan seems to be the favourite (he's an experienced bowler, has been to Australia before on two tours although has played only 1 test there) and is in the squad to face Pakistan.
However, Powar I understand is bowling pretty well in the Indian domestic comp and probably posses more variety than Harbhajan.
He did struggle in the few ODis he played against Australia BUT test matches are a completely different ball game.
And the dark horse is Murali Katik. He copped a real hammering out here in 2003/004 in the Sydney test but by all accounts, he's in the form of his life at the moment. Bowled very well against Australia in the ODIs and had a great county season for Middlesex.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
One spinner is enough for down under. Zaheer Khan - Munaf Patel - One right armer.

That should be the bowling attack, with Pathan if he can fit in the all rounder spot. Sreesanth will make it though I think he'll be murdered tbh (along with the rest, but what are you going to do?)

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I hate saying this but we should go in with a draw as a goal and pick a team based on that. That gives us the best chance for success down under. Pick the guys who will stick around the crease the longest and bowlers who can bowl negatively enough to keep the Aussies from getting away.

I don't see any other way to have a remotely successful tour down under.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I hate saying this but we should go in with a draw as a goal and pick a team based on that. That gives us the best chance for success down under. Pick the guys who will stick around the crease the longest and bowlers who can bowl negatively enough to keep the Aussies from getting away.

I don't see any other way to have a remotely successful tour down under.
Try that and you will get massacred.

You have to pick at least aggressive players - you pick defensive batsmen and bowlers and I'd wager that it will be 4-0.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

You have to pick at least aggressive players - you pick defensive batsmen and bowlers and I'd wager that it will be 4-0.
Agreed. Attack is the best form of defence, especially against Australia.

I'd say Anil Kumble and Harbhajan Singh are going to tour, while Ramesh Powar could well make the trip if he out-performs Irfan Pathan in both batting and bowling between now and the time the squad is named.

pasag

RTDAS
Pretty much the same conservatisim that has plagued visiting selectors on the past couple of tours. Take a page from the book of the only side that has beaten Australia in a series recently - come out firing.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Exaclty, why think so negative? Man India should go out there and really dish it out give it their best, with just one aim in mind, to destroy the Aussies. :cool:

BTW, I know we're gonna' win, I can feel it, we'll destroy them watch! :happy:

Last edited:

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Here's my stab on what India's likely 16 man squad will be

Jaffer
Karthik
Sehwag

Dravid
Tendulkar
Laxman
Ganguly
Yuvraj

Dhoni

Rp SIngh
Sreesanth
Irfan pathan
ZAheer Khan
Munaf patel

Anil Kumble
Harbhajan Singh

I guess the only points of discussion (provided there are no injuries) would be around the places of Harbhajan, Munaf patel and Pathan.
I'd expect Munaf to go if he is fit but will India pick a 3d spinner in place of Pathan ?

Athlai

Not Terrible
I guess the only points of discussion (provided there are no injuries) would be around the places of Harbhajan, Munaf patel and Pathan.
I'd expect Munaf to go if he is fit but will India pick a 3d spinner in place of Pathan ?
Can't see the point in playing two spinners in Australia, if Murali has no luck then you can see how unfavourable Australia is for the spinners. Use the pacers, save the spinners for home.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Can't see the point in playing two spinners in Australia, if Murali has no luck then you can see how unfavourable Australia is for the spinners. Use the pacers, save the spinners for home.

You wouldn't even contemplate the possibility of playing two spinners at Adelaide or the SCG ?

Athlai

Not Terrible
You wouldn't even contemplate the possibility of playing two spinners at Adelaide or the SCG ?
With Warne gone and playing against India I have an inkling that the preparations for said pitches may have changed.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Agreed. Attack is the best form of defence, especially against Australia.

I'd say Anil Kumble and Harbhajan Singh are going to tour, while Ramesh Powar could well make the trip if he out-performs Irfan Pathan in both batting and bowling between now and the time the squad is named.
I must respectfully disagree. There is no way we have the pre-requisite skill or class to play the attacking cricket required to even give them a challenge. If we try that, it will be 4-0 for sure. If we don't, we may draw a couple.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I must respectfully disagree. There is no way we have the pre-requisite skill or class to play the attacking cricket required to even give them a challenge. If we try that, it will be 4-0 for sure. If we don't, we may draw a couple.
5 days is a long time to play all-out defensive cricket.

You would only draw if there was rain, at least aggression gives you a chance to cause the Aussies trouble.

Defensive bowlers (ie Maharoof, Vaas) would not take a wicket and defensive batsmen aren't going to make runs. I don't see where a draw comes from.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
5 days is a long time to play all-out defensive cricket.

You would only draw if there was rain, at least aggression gives you a chance to cause the Aussies trouble.

Defensive bowlers (ie Maharoof, Vaas) would not take a wicket and defensive batsmen aren't going to make runs. I don't see where a draw comes from.
Leg theory. :laugh:

In all seriousness, in batting we need people who will put a huge price on their wicket. Runs are unimportant if you can bat for two sessions, you're in. For bowlers, I'm sure Kumble can keep the run rate down if he tries just for that, and I'm sure we can find another bowler somewhere that can keep bowling all day. If we can keep the Aussies under 3 runs an over for an extended period, I think we've got a great shot at a draw.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
But who does it? Zaheer Khan is utter **** in my opinion, and RP Singh is quite possibly the ugliest man alive.

Zaheer
RP Singh
Sreesanth/Pathan
Kumble?

That attack isn't going to keep runs down in state cricket.

And who could you choose who puts a high price on their wicket? Do you recall Chopra and have him open with Gambhir or Jaffer. Its a terrible opening partnership - Australia feed off defensive players. Do you pick Sehwag, Ganguly and Yuvraj?

I feel they need to pick their best XI, regardless of how defensive or aggressive they are. The trap teams fall into when they tour Australia is by picking players because they believe they can restrict the Australians - those teams get absolutely molested year after year.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
But who does it? Zaheer Khan is utter **** in my opinion, and RP Singh is quite possibly the ugliest man alive.

Zaheer
RP Singh
Sreesanth/Pathan
Kumble?

That attack isn't going to keep runs down in state cricket.

And who could you choose who puts a high price on their wicket? Do you recall Chopra and have him open with Gambhir or Jaffer. Its a terrible opening partnership - Australia feed off defensive players. Do you pick Sehwag, Ganguly and Yuvraj?

I feel they need to pick their best XI, regardless of how defensive or aggressive they are. The trap teams fall into when they tour Australia is by picking players because they believe they can restrict the Australians - those teams get absolutely molested year after year.
Kumble and perhaps one other spinner. Get them in tandem and tell them to bowl as negatively as possible. Keep the RR down below 2.5, 3 at the most. Problem with picking the best XI is they will get massacred 4-0 IMO.

Last edited:

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
They would lose 4-0 if they play that way in my opinion anyway.

I don't think it is possible to keep them under three an over, no matter who you pick. Kumble is the only spinner who could cause any trouble - Harbhajan and Kartik or Powar would go the journey.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Based on what? When was the last time you saw him bowl if I may ask?
I know he did brilliantly in the England series but I simply don't see him being anywhere near effective against the Aussies.

He was picked apart in the one day series consistently by the Aussies and I don't see any different happening in the test game. He's an exceedingly average bowler who has a couple of good series when conditions suit him and always will be.