• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Let's say you were Mike Hussey .......

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
in two years, youve won a couple of Ashes (possibly), played 40 tests, average 65 with umpteen centuries after being "no chance"just a season or two before.

Would you:

a. continue in the full knowledge that you've passed your peak; or

b. retire as a guaranteed legend of the game who is discussed in the same terms as Pollock, Richards, Barrington, Sobers, etc?

Gotta say, as a confirmed capitalist, I'd be outta there like a scalded cat and trading off my name for evermore

Fiery

Banned
in two years, youve won a couple of Ashes (possibly), played 40 tests, average 65 with umpteen centuries after being "no chance"just a season or two before.

Would you:

b. retire as a guaranteed legend of the game who is discussed in the same terms as Pollock, Richards, Barrington, Sobers, etc?

Gotta say, as a confirmed capitalist, I'd be outta there like a scalded cat and trading off my name for evermore
If he's stilling enjoying playing, good enough to be selected then carry on...not to mention the $

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I highly doubt anyone will ever retire until they know beyond a doubt they're passing their peak.

Obviously, no-one's actually expecting him to. Nonetheless, if he did retire - say, due to injury - in 2009\10, with a record such as that, we'd have to very seriously consider him being the 2nd-best batsman since 1900.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
As I read the question it's asking what you would do in his position, not try to guess what he'll do. I think I would probably carry on for as long as possible having had such a late start.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Would you:

Hmm, depends how financially secure I was. If I didn't have to worry about money, I'd likely retire and keep my record.

Perm

He wouldn't be though. He would be discussed as a prolific scorer, but probably not a legend.

Mister Wright

Would you:

Given the amount of time he had to wait to get a test cap, I doubt he'll be retiring any time soon.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Good thing you are not him.
I just gave an honest opinion. If I knew I was on the downside and didn't need the money, I'd retire. No reason to suffer meaningless comparisons and the media's crazy attacks. Better to be remembered for an amazing record.

If I enjoyed playing the game still, I'd keep playing First Class cricket. That way you can focus on your own enjoyment without having to worry about making an impression on selectors or playing for a spot, or worrying about what some moron is going to write in the morning's paper, or a fan burning down your house or whatever.

Obviously, this is assuming I was financially secure. If I wasn't, that would certainly change my decision.

Last edited:

burr

State Vice-Captain
He wouldn't be though. He would be discussed as a prolific scorer, but probably not a legend.
Exactly, just what I was going to post. So given that, I'd continue, particularly since it's fairly certain I'd be vice-captain once Gilly goes :)

Fiery

Banned
I just gave an honest opinion. If I knew I was on the downside and didn't need the money, I'd retire. No reason to suffer meaningless comparisons and the media's crazy attacks. Better to be remembered for an amazing record.

If I enjoyed playing the game still, I'd keep playing First Class cricket. That way you can focus on your own enjoyment without having to worry about making an impression on selectors or playing for a spot, or worrying about what some moron is going to write in the morning's paper, or a fan burning down your house or whatever.

Obviously, this is assuming I was financially secure. If I wasn't, that would certainly change my decision.
*sigh* Whatever happening to playing for the love of the game?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
He should be relishing every opportunity to play for Australia, while he's fit and good enough to imo. I sure he doesn't really give 2 hoots about the comparisons tbh
I'm sure he is. But the question asked what I would do if I had played 40+ Tests and had an avergae of 65+ and knew I was in a decline and that I couldn't keep those stats.

If I didn't need the money, I'd go to FC cricket or find another hobby.

Fiery

Banned
I'm sure he is. But the question asked what I would do if I had played 40+ Tests and had an avergae of 65+ and knew I was in a decline and that I couldn't keep those stats.

If I didn't need the money, I'd go to FC cricket or find another hobby.
You can never have enough of that stuff, (unless you're a Russian English-football club owner, of course)