• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tubby Says "It's time to go Steve"

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mark Taylor has come out in the media today saying its time steve waugh retired and also noting that there is no longer room in the team for him. remember this coming from a guy that said Matthew Hayden had no future in test cricket 5 years ago.
Anyway Steve doesnt deserve to be dropped, if he retires well so be it, but hes still good enough to be in the team.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I'll repeat what I said in another thread, he belted 200odd for NSW not long ago so it show's he hasn't lost it!

Simon

Mark Taylor denies Steve Waugh newspaper report
The Fordham Company (Media Release) - 19 February 2003

Former Australian cricket captain and Nine Network cricket commentator Mark Taylor today vigorously denied quotes attributed to him in a Sydney newspaper calling on Steve Waugh to retire from international cricket.

The back-page report in today's Daily Telegraph was based on comments supposedly made by Taylor on the World Cup's official website.

"Since arriving in South Africa on February 9 I have not made any public comments concerning Steve Waugh, nor have I given any interviews on the subject," said Taylor. "And in the two World Cup matches that I have so far been part of as a commentator I made no reference to Steve whatsoever."

Taylor said: "I completely refute comments attributed to me in a so-called interview reported on the official ICC World Cup website dealing with Steve Waugh and several other issues."

"I have steadfastly stayed clear of the public debate concerning Steve Waugh's future," Taylor said from Johannesburg.

"Having been through something similar myself back in 1997, I can well appreciate what Steve is going through. That's why I have consistently refused to enter the debate as to whether he should keep playing or retire."

(Issued by Mark Taylor's management, The Fordham Company.)

krkode

State Captain
Well weather he really said it or not, I too fully agree that no team is too good for Steve Waugh. That's right. I believe that there's no team that is too good to welcome Steve Waugh with open arms.

Personally, I felt that he should have captained Australia this world cup. Despite their stalwart form, they'll probably come against a hic up sometime this world cup like most teams do (few teams have perfect world cups - maybe only the windies), and that's when they'll miss steve Waugh the most, because, as he is called, true to his ability, he is Mr. Reliable - as a captain and a player.

He Definetely shouldn't retire. He is still a really good player and deserves to be in the team. I dont know about him being in the ODI team. He was playing really bad. So was Mark Waugh. I hope that he can continue playing.

Btw, What do you think about Ponting as captain of the test team when Steve finally calls it quits?

Cloete

International Captain
yeah well he seems to be coping well with the ODI captaincy. i think he'd be a fine test captain. also gilly is no doubt a gr8 help to him.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Steve Waugh is still capable, he got two centuries against England & so far for NSW he's got a century & a double ton.

Eclipse

International Debutant
broncoman said:
gilly should take over as captain when steve retires.
Hell no!

Gilly just has to much of a work load on him vice captain is more than enough.

Ponting has so far done nothing wrong as a captain of the ODI team and IMO deserves his chance.

Simon

Gilchrist did nothing wrong in the times he has captained the test and one day sides either, so i think he deserves a shot at it.

krkode

State Captain
Well, i doubt we can judge either Gilchrist's or Ponting's captaincy skills as of yet. Neither has had a real testing period, neither has had to "save" his team, neither has really had to lead by example...The rest of the team is so good, they don't even need that yet...

Right now, personally, i believe almost anybody could lead the aussie team to many a victory. When they hit a recession, that's when they'll need a real captain, and that's when Ponting's and Gilchrist's true ability shows up...

Simon

i honestly believe that lehmann is the best skipper australia has, but he doesnt have a long enough future at the top level to be handed the captaincy.
I do agree anyone could lead that Aussie team, and i think now u will notice that ponting seems to go to a lot of the senior players a lot in the field for advice, so looking at it i would say the (c) is just a tag right now.