• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest ever One Day Innings

ttm

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Ive been watching highlights of old games lately and have to say Allan borders 127* against the West Indies in 1984/85 is the best one day innings Ive ever seen. Much better than anything Ponting, Gilly, Tendulkar etc have ever played. It was the 1st final and the Windies had not been beaten for 10 or 15 games. He came in at 2/7 against Garner/Marshall/Holding and cut, hooked and cover drove them to all corners of the ground. Every boundary was a good 80 to 90 metre hit against quality bowling.

Here is the scorecard.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/...NEYS/WSC/AUS_WI_WSC_ODI-FINAL1_06FEB1985.html

kwigibo

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ive been watching highlights of old games lately and have to say Allan borders 127* against the West Indies in 1984/85 is the best one day innings Ive ever seen. Much better than anything Ponting, Gilly, Tendulkar etc have ever played. It was the 1st final and the Windies had not been beaten for 10 or 15 games. He came in at 2/7 against Garner/Marshall/Holding and cut, hooked and cover drove them to all corners of the ground. Every boundary was a good 80 to 90 metre hit against quality bowling.

Here is the scorecard.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/...NEYS/WSC/AUS_WI_WSC_ODI-FINAL1_06FEB1985.html
Was that world series classics on fox sports? It's hard to judge the quality of an innings when they show 50 overs in 20 minutes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Although he played some (or should I say "a lot") of blinders he was never going to completely destroy attacks in a violent way, kind of just ground opponents into the turf
He never did in international cricket, but he did in domestic cricket in England (and presumably in Australia) countless times. You don't become as impossibly good as Bevan without being able to do it, and I've seen him any number of times come in at three with the field up in the first 15 and smash it all over everywhere.

Fiery

Banned
He never did in international cricket, but he did in domestic cricket in England (and presumably in Australia) countless times. You don't become as impossibly good as Bevan without being able to do it, and I've seen him any number of times come in at three with the field up in the first 15 and smash it all over everywhere.
Well Hamish Marshall can murder county attacks too ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But he can't do the job at ODI level... :mellow: Nor, unlike Bevan, in his own country.

Despite, unlike Bevan, being given the opportunity.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year

Here is the scorecard.

Welcome to the forum mate. :)

That innings is often overlooked these days but it still ranks at or near the top of any ODI innings I've ever seen. The pasting he gave that magnificent pace attack that day was something to behold.

We won that game, and then racked up 3/271 batting first in the second final - I actually dared to believe we were going to win the series... :(

Fiery

Banned
But he can't do the job at ODI level... :mellow: Nor, unlike Bevan, in his own country.

Despite, unlike Bevan, being given the opportunity.
I was just having a go at county cricket...but I think you know that....you argumentive sod :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH, while there is much about the English domestic game to have a go at, there's also stuff which is done better now than in the 1980s or before.

And that's before we even mention its comparison to the New Zealand domestic game...

Fiery

Banned
TBH, while there is much about the English domestic game to have a go at, there's also stuff which is done better now than in the 1980s or before.

And that's before we even mention its comparison to the New Zealand domestic game...
well played :p

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Best one I have ever seen is the 175 by Gibbs, but this one by Bevan where he got 90 something* was pretty good as well.