View Poll Results: The better bowler ?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Curtley Ambrose

    60 59.41%
  • Glenn McGrath

    41 40.59%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 171

Thread: Ambrose v McGrath

  1. #121
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    1,026
    20 vote differential is crazy. Most people, I included, have this semi-mythical image of Ambrose stuck inside their heads, whereas Mcgrath seems more earthbound but I'd be happy to have either or preferably both in my all-time attack.

  2. #122
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,849
    If those 20 people think Ambrose is better than McGrath by 1%, whereas everyone that voted McGrath thinks he is better by 10%, how does the 20 vote differential show that those voting Ambrose are overrating him?

    I really think polls are no good for determining the level/amount people rate someone above someone else.

  3. #123
    International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    If those 20 people think Ambrose is better than McGrath by 1%, whereas everyone that voted McGrath thinks he is better by 10%, how does the 20 vote differential show that those voting Ambrose are overrating him?

    I really think polls are no good for determining the level/amount people rate someone above someone else.
    Sorry, but I don't follow your logic.

    If the bowlers are viewed as equivalent by the CW population then surely the counts should be about the same?

    Indeed, any quantitive vote captures the 'mood' of the people and gives a direct opinion of two parties concerned whether they are McGrath and Ambrose, Gillard and Abbott, Conservative and Socialist, or Islamic and Secular.... etc.
    Last edited by watson; 08-05-2013 at 12:08 AM.
    Tendulkar - M.Waugh - Ponting - Richards - Dhoni - Bevan - Kapil Dev - Hadlee - Akram - Garner - Muralitharan

  4. #124
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,849
    But your last two comparisons are different extremes aren't they? Well not on asylum seeker policy when it comes to Abbott and Gillard - they're the same. Ohhhhhhhhh i went there.

    But anyway - It is rare that you'd have someone say "I think capitalism is JUST SLIGHTLY better than socialism". You'd be a fan of one, the other, or neither you'd think.

    Whereas here, you're comparing two fast bowlers who average low 20s with the ball over a long period of time. Who dominated the best batsman in the opposition's team on a regular basis. And a whole bunch of other similarities that I cbf to mention.

    So if 20 more people think Ambrose is slightly better than McGrath than vice versa, it doesn't necessarily mean its not a close contest as per the poll.


  5. #125
    U19 Debutant
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Arachnodouche View Post
    20 vote differential is crazy. Most people, I included, have this semi-mythical image of Ambrose stuck inside their heads, whereas Mcgrath seems more earthbound but I'd be happy to have either or preferably both in my all-time attack.
    Mcgrath was just a skilled and discipline bowler. Ambrose was a skillful and disciplined menace - big difference. If you were going to die and could watch only one of these bowlers for the very last time - who would you choose ?

    If you the two were on TV at the time - which one would you watch ?

    who would you pay to see play ?

    I think Ambrose edge him out here - as a bowler worth watching. Ambrose got his wicket cheaper than him even tho he took longer to get each one - it's the tormenting of batsmen that made ambrose special. It's his appeal - pointing to the umpire - everything about this guy was legendary. His high arm action - classical fast bowling... which is why most would prefer watching him before Mcgrath.

    PS Marshall is the best fast bowler ever..period..

  6. #126
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    1,026
    ^^Personally, I found Mcgrath as riveting to watching as any other bowler. Slow burn can be as much fun, you know. Not all that slow either, as you pointed out, seeing how he took fewer balls to get a wicket.

  7. #127
    International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,583
    McGrath was brilliant to watch. Clinical and precise.

  8. #128
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    21,620
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Sorry, but I don't follow your logic.

    If the bowlers are viewed as equivalent by the CW population then surely the counts should be about the same?

    Indeed, any quantitive vote captures the 'mood' of the people and gives a direct opinion of two parties concerned whether they are McGrath and Ambrose, Gillard and Abbott, Conservative and Socialist, or Islamic and Secular.... etc.
    As Jono pointed out that Islamic and secular are totally opposite philosophies. Comparing McGrath to Ambrose is comparing two very similar. A lot of those 21 people might take McGrath over Ambrose any other day. Or just making decisions on who they enjoyed watching more or whose action they thought was better. Such things don't make Ambrose a better bowler but it gives him an edge in such a poll where people can't really differentiate between their performance and hence look to other factors.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

  9. #129
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sri Lanka
    Posts
    7
    Both very disciplined bowlers. Ambrose was more lethal I thought.

  10. #130
    U19 Debutant
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    As Jono pointed out that Islamic and secular are totally opposite philosophies. Comparing McGrath to Ambrose is comparing two very similar. A lot of those 21 people might take McGrath over Ambrose any other day. Or just making decisions on who they enjoyed watching more or whose action they thought was better. Such things don't make Ambrose a better bowler but it gives him an edge in such a poll where people can't really differentiate between their performance and hence look to other factors.
    Ambrose had way more bounce - he would hurry the batsman up and make the contest more interesting to watch. It also had an effect of troubling the batsman more. He was cheaper than mcgrath so it's not like he was giving away free runs. He just had a different element to him that mcgrath did not have - more assets and overall better record to back it up. Ofcourse more people should vote him ahead of Mcgrath.

  11. #131
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    21,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilovecric View Post
    Ambrose had way more bounce - he would hurry the batsman up and make the contest more interesting to watch. It also had an effect of troubling the batsman more. He was cheaper than mcgrath so it's not like he was giving away free runs. He just had a different element to him that mcgrath did not have - more assets and overall better record to back it up. Ofcourse more people should vote him ahead of Mcgrath.
    Are you trolling or are you serious?

  12. #132
    International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    4,215
    McGrath also did great work in the sub continent, a big plus for McGrath.
    My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

    http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

    http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

  13. #133
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,849
    McGrath was awesome. I have no doubt that, as brilliant as people view him now, his reputation will increase over time just like Curtley's has. Aussies are well aware of how amazing he was but because he was so often a dickwad on the field (as opposed to a great bloke off it), it coloured people's views of him.

    People appreciate him more and more now that he's gone. And this will continue.

  14. #134
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    1,026
    They also made for differing kinds of drama. With Mcgrath, there were so many conflicting emotions. You hated the **** out of him and were always wishing for his comeuppance but you also grudgingly conceded that you were witnessing a true great. I doubt anybody ever "hated" Ambrose, though. Feared, regarded with awe, but universally admired also.
    Last edited by Arachnodouche; 08-05-2013 at 12:49 AM.

  15. #135
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,138
    Would argue not in Australia, tbh. Barely ever gave interviews and to the Aussie press and Aussies in general, that's a big minus for your public CV. Wouldn't go so far as to say he was hated but wasn't liked either. Like McG, though, once he opened up a bit late career, he got some brownie points.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 08-05-2013 at 12:58 AM.
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Ambrose vs. Lillee in Tests. Who was better?
    By Days of Grace in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 28-05-2008, 05:19 AM
  2. Curtly Ambrose vs. Steve Waugh
    By jack_sparrow in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 14-02-2006, 04:03 AM
  3. Who is better McGrath or Ambrose
    By aussie in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 119
    Last Post: 12-08-2005, 01:12 PM
  4. McGrath/Ambrose/Walsh
    By membersstand in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 27-04-2005, 04:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •