• Glenn McGrath

41 40.59%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ambrose v McGrath

Banned
    Ambrose

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    McGrath...because of Richard's ridiculous idea that about 3 years of his life was spent getting wickets through luck...
    Still misreprisenting that old cherry?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Spectator
    Ambrose has got Steve Waugh out 11 times, Miandad was dominated by Ambrose, if u want check the statistics and Allan Border was Ambrose's bunny. If u remember Dean Jones tried to upset Ambrose once by asking him to remove his wrist band and Ambrose replied with a five wicket hall in that one-day and then he took 10 wickets at Adeleide and 9 at Perth. Whereas Mcgrath was hit by Sachin for 3 sixes in a One-day and he got frustrated and then when Lara scored 153 not out he upset Mcgrath with his batting and then can anyone forget how Sarwan took on Mcgrath in the Antigua Test? So speaking of being mentally Ambrose is way ahead of any bowler of his generation. How many bowlers have defended 98,120,191,186 in the last innings of a Test. No team has chased and won more than 250 runs against West Indies when Ambrose bowled whereas against Mcgrath 308,417 and 373 have been chased. So now tell me who is better?
    Dream Team since 1970-2012 1.Smith 2.Hayden 3.Ponting (C) 4.Lara 5.Richards 6.Kallis 7.Gilchrist(WK) 8.Warne 9.Ambrose 10.Lillee 11.McGrath 12th man Tendulkar

Dream Team 1870-1970 1.Hobbs 2.Hutton 3.Bradman (C) 4.Hammond 5.Miller 6.Sobers 7.Oldield(WK)8.Lindwall 9.Trueman 10.Barnes 11.O'Reilly 12th man Weekes

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffboycott View Post
    Ambrose has got Steve Waugh out 11 times, Miandad was dominated by Ambrose, if u want check the statistics and Allan Border was Ambrose's bunny. If u remember Dean Jones tried to upset Ambrose once by asking him to remove his wrist band and Ambrose replied with a five wicket hall in that one-day and then he took 10 wickets at Adeleide and 9 at Perth. Whereas Mcgrath was hit by Sachin for 3 sixes in a One-day and he got frustrated and then when Lara scored 153 not out he upset Mcgrath with his batting and then can anyone forget how Sarwan took on Mcgrath in the Antigua Test? So speaking of being mentally Ambrose is way ahead of any bowler of his generation. How many bowlers have defended 98,120,191,186 in the last innings of a Test. No team has chased and won more than 250 runs against West Indies when Ambrose bowled whereas against Mcgrath 308,417 and 373 have been chased. So now tell me who is better?
    So you post all the good things Ambrose did, and all the rubbish things McGrath did, and then say Ambrose was better? Well balanced argument there....

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Lol
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Captain
    I think that 308,417 run chase tilts the balance.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    So you post all the good things Ambrose did, and all the rubbish things McGrath did, and then say Ambrose was better? Well balanced argument there....
    You name the stats McGrath has over ambrose then and we'll see how they balance out?

Banned
    You name the stats McGrath has over ambrose then and we'll see how they balance out?
    Without checking statsguru...an extra 130 odd wickets, better average, a more rounded record.

I'd probably change my vote nowadays. I think my hatred of McGrath at the time coloured a lot of my views. Still hate him obviously, but the pain has lessened.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Yeah Curtley never lost his rag, did he? Lol
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumbinfront View Post
    Without checking statsguru...an extra 130 odd wickets, better average, a more rounded record.
    Ambrose has a better average and better economy then McGrath. Played far less tests then McGrath. If they would have played the same amount of tests ambrose would be ahead in wickets taken aswell. just like if bradman played the same amount as tendulkar he'd have more runs. It's just the same with curtly.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Probably the two best seam/pace bowlers I've ever had the pleasure of watching.

Ambrose has it by a whisker for me, but it's incredibly close.

The mention of run chases against sides where the two men led the attack should not tip the balance automatically, but it does hint at a key difference between the two as bowlers.

Curtly had a certain impact on batsmen and entire line-ups that was unrivalled.

Once he struck early, it's as if experienced international players would go into a tentative shell and play the bowler instead of the ball. Batting collapses were something that Ambrose seemed able to trigger almost at will when he was in the mood.

The other key area of difference IMO is that once Bishop's injurys got the better of him (shame as he was a quality paceman of a very different style), Ambi (ably assisted by Walsh) effectively were the West Indies' attack. Carrying an entire side of the team effort creates a sort of pressure that I don't think McGrath, with the benefit of some quality support, ever had to deal with.

You'd constantly see Ambrose tie down an end, then Walsh pick up wickets as batsmen saw him as a slightly better opportunity to score.

McGrath = great bowler, and cannot be biased either way being English, Both of these guys destroyed us plenty of times...

Wanted to know the thoughts of others on this one as well - could Ambrose bat?

I always got the feeling he had a bit more ability than he showed for any sustained period - have seen him strike some serious blows but also give it away with lazy or rash shots, as though the discipline of batting never really appealed to him.

West Indies have always had notoriously long tails for as long as I've been watching cricker - Ambrose batted at nine on a regular basis and they often had someone else coming in after Walsh in the later years. Interested in any thoughts on why this is...

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Why bother? They're really similar. As if it matters really. In an ATG schoolyard selection scenario, if I got either I wouldn't care.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    True. Mcgrath gets the nod for me based on Curtly's higher s/r which showed Mcgrath was more consistently attacking. CEL Ambrose could tie down an end as well as anyone, but on his day with the right motivation he was unplayable.

State Vice-Captain
    Glenn McGrath.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. M.J Procter 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information