Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Curtley Ambrose

60 59.41%
  • Glenn McGrath

41 40.59%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ambrose v McGrath

3 years ago I think I would have answered Ambrose, and he was one of my favourite bowlers ever as I was brought up as a kid watching him tear batting line-ups apart. I could probably link to a post or two with me choosing Ambrose.

But McGrath's exploits from 2004 till his retirement were amazing, and IMO are enough to edge him ahead of Curtley, just.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Not sure about surfaces changing, we have had 5 Test series in the past all being drawn in India but I remember on one occasion Bill Lawry winning the toss and inserting the Indian team, I can't remember the scores but I do recall it seaming
    You know it makes sense.

First Class Debutant
    Amby for me....McGrath, great that he is, would not provide the retaliatory ammo necessary to counter a rampaging quickie with bad intentions.

This exact question has been done in the recent past. I've always had Ambrose ahead of McGrath, for much the same reason that Warne provided in his top 50 - they're both exception in very similar ways, but Ambrose was also slightly quicker and had an even greater degree of 'extra bounce' in his deliveries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Curtley Ambrose for me.

I think there are circumstances where cricket fans recall the highs and lows of cricketers such as Brian Lara, and they'll judge him harshly because they remember the lows. Then there are times when cricket fans only remember the highs of great cricketers, and I think Glenn McGrath is an example of this.

McGrath is a great, but when people say he didn't need pace or swing etc I think their memory is somewhat selective. I can recall times when I thought McGrath was lacking... granted there were very few moments when that happened... but if McGrath was doing poorly on a bouncey wicket, I could say to myself "Curtley Ambrose could've gotten a wicket here with some extra bounce" or "There's a chance for swing, but McGrath doesn't swing the ball." There have been times when I didn't think McGrath was all too threatening as well.

Curtley, in my opinion, looked more threatening as was more successful in moments where McGrath was suceptable to failure. I think people also tend to forget that whilst McGrath's main bo was his unbelievable accuracy, there's a few bowlers in history who fall into the same category of accuracy... among McGrath are players like Hadlee and yes, Curtley Ambrose.

Curtley never gave interviews during his career, but I was interested to see him interviewed not long ago and aside from the fact that he seemed like a very nice fellow (which his field presence didn't indicate), what intrigued me was that Ambrose didn't consider himself as fast bowler. He said Brett Lee was fast, he wasn't. Ambrose said his greatest attribute was accuracy... and I agree completely with that.

I think that's what made him so special. The great pace was delivered the ball with was simply a given because he was a great athlete. So was the bounce he extracted... that was a given because he was so tall. But his accuracy is what made him great. One of the freak athletes of cricket.

All that said, I think McGrath has a greater legacy than Ambrose. As well as Australia performed against Sri Lanka, their dominance, I think, will mostly be attributed to Warne and McGrath. Ambrose has a great legacy, and as a kid he was the number one bananna in a West Indian side still considered the best in the world... but I think McGrath will be better associated with cricket glory.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    McGrath's exploits from 2004 till his retirement were amazing
    Agree completely.
    and IMO are enough to edge him ahead of Curtley, just.
    Disagree.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    I think there are circumstances where cricket fans recall the highs and lows of cricketers such as Brian Lara, and they'll judge him harshly because they remember the lows. Then there are times when cricket fans only remember the highs of great cricketers, and I think Glenn McGrath is an example of this.
    Same with Curtly, though. There were times when he was quite impotent and completely disinterested. He was fairly ineffective in all bar one Test of the 1995 win by the Aussies for example. Ditto the follow-up series in Australia in 1996/97. Didn't give away many runs of course but didn't look like taking wickets either.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

It's true, though, virtually no-one ever talks about that. Sure, it happened, as did McGrath's failures here and there (every game on a non-seaming pitch between 2001 and 2004\05 for instance )

Whereas with Allan Donald, oh no, all anyone ever wants to talk about is the bad points. If it's not that hook by Elliott, it's the run-out in WC99; if it's not that it's those last 3 infernal Tests that I so, so wish he hadn't played; if it's not those it's WC2003 which is pretty similar; if not that it's something else.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It's true, though, virtually no-one ever talks about that. Sure, it happened, as did McGrath's failures here and there (every game on a non-seaming pitch between 2001 and 2004\05 for instance )
    Care to explain? I think I know what you're referring to, but I'd like to be sure.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Nah, would risk a server-crash.

Look back at some posts from late 2003 and early 2004 if you really want to know. Much of the said still applies. Do try to resist the temptation to dig though.

Disagree.
    Lol, fair enough too.

Look, a month from now I'll probably throw in my old Frank Worrell Trophy DVDs from the 90s and change my mind again and select Ambrose.

International Debutant
    McGraths final test match at the SCG
    no assistance for quicks..very flat track with sun baking down

England 1/150 or something ... cant remember... McGrath clean bowls Bell with an offcutter then gets KP soon later and England are in trouble all of a sudden..

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    McGrath...because of Richard's ridiculous idea that about 3 years of his life was spent getting wickets through luck...would prefer to be Ambrose though if I could pick between the two. A scarier bowler.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Ambrose all the way
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

ambrose just in front for me...

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information