101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Curtley Ambrose

60 59.41%
  • Glenn McGrath

41 40.59%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ambrose v McGrath

U19 Captain
    at their best, ambrose. the same traits, but more aggression and more pace, after bradman he is the first name on my all time 11 team sheet. a fast bowling god. mcgrath is in my top 3 quicks of all time though, just that curtly is number one for my money.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    ITSTL, not heard many place Ambrose ahead of Marshall.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

I had to place McGrath ahead of Amby.

My all time quick bowling attack would be McGrath, Ambrose and Marshall.

McGrath really won me over with his propensity for taking wickets on the flattest of flat decks. When he did get something with a bit of juice in it (Lords for example) he was positively dangerous. Ambrose had a stronger aura about him, but bowled in a more bowler-friendly era.

Just because Ambrose bowled more in a time when there were more seam-friendly pitches doesn't mean he didn't get plenty of flat surfaces - and do well on plenty of them.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Just because Ambrose bowled more in a time when there were more seam-friendly pitches doesn't mean he didn't get plenty of flat surfaces - and do well on plenty of them.
    I love how this coincides with our debate in the other thread.
    ★★★★★

Amazingly enough I've just said exactly what I said about Ambrose here about Tendulkar there.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Amazingly enough I've just said exactly what I said about Ambrose here about Tendulkar there.
    And it's not like Kallis never got bowlers bowling brilliantly or the pitch being lively and still made runs...

Indeed he did, because Kallis is a good player, something I've never countenanced saying otherwise to.

Aye, but who would be your first pick quick for taking on a tour to India? McGrath for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Aye, but who would be your first pick quick for taking on a tour to India? McGrath for mine.
    When did India become the sole proving ground for being a great fast bowler? I think we place too much emphasis on how a fast bowler does in India versus ne where else. For me the ultimate proving ground these days for fast bowlers is Australia, as they are by far the best players of pace bowling. I too chose Mcgrath over Ambrose (slightly) but not because of ne India factor
    Cause Slifer said so.........!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    I'd be quite delighted with either.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slifer View Post
    When did India become the sole proving ground for being a great fast bowler? I think we place too much emphasis on how a fast bowler does in India versus ne where else. For me the ultimate proving ground these days for fast bowlers is Australia, as they are by far the best players of pace bowling. I too chose Mcgrath over Ambrose (slightly) but not because of ne India factor
    On the money for mine, I am sick of hearing about how different the pitches are around the world, there are some differences but it is not like the old days when we had matting, un covered pitches, real stickies in Aust as compared to England, when they did not cover the foot marks for the fast bowlers either.

How much flatter could you find pitches around the world than we have in Aust atm?
    You know it makes sense.

None flatter, but that's not the point - it's only the last 6 years that surfaces Worldwide have become universally flat. Before then there was still a huge amount of variation country-to-country, even if not as much as in the days of uncovered surfaces in some countries (and at one point in all) and matting wickets in some countries.

In any case, as has been said so many times, not everything is about the surface, there's more to the difficulties of bowling than purely what the surface is like.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    None flatter, but that's not the point - it's only the last 6 years that surfaces Worldwide have become universally flat. Before then there was still a huge amount of variation country-to-country, even if not as much as in the days of uncovered surfaces in some countries (and at one point in all) and matting wickets in some countries.
    Come on, Richard. The differences in the 90's between countries wasn't that significant. There were just as high scores in South Africa in the 90's as there were in Australia as there were in the WI. Subcontinental pitches haven't changed for many years now and England's decks have improved too but largely due to the time of year Tests are played these days.

In Australia, the only really dramatic change has been how flat the WACA is these days. Aside from that, Adelaide and Tassie are still batting paradises, Melbourne has pace, Sydney still turns and the 'Gabba is green for a session then flattens out for the rest of the Test. Nothing has changed there in years.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

The SCG still turns? Hasn't seemed to - anywhere near as much - since about 2002\03 TBH.

And I thought The 'Gabba was supposed to have been a seamer's paradise throughout the 1990s? That's what you always told me when saying Hayden couldn't be a non-seaming-track bully.

TBH, I'd say tracks in India have changed - hugely. You could be almost certain of at least two real, proper turners - quickish, uneven, really offering big turn. Now a whole series can go by without it.

Pitches in West Indies might have started becoming slower and lower in the mid-1990s rather than the early 2000s, true - it's the bowlers rather than the pitches that changed there. The only two that were ever (generally) that quick at any time, though, were Sabina Park and Kensington Oval were they not?

And over here - well, times of play have changed, sure, but if anything you'd expect it to have made things more seam-friendly, not less - Tests in May and September used to be a never-never and almost-never (respectively) before 2000. Between 2001 and 2006, in domestic FC cricket, there was an absurd explosion in runscoring (though that had as much, IMO, to do with balls as pitches). This was mirrored in Tests from 2002. A seaming deck has been a relative rarity here since then - and IMO a non-seaming deck should be the exception not the rule. These isles are supposed to be about a challenge from seam and swing.

There's been immense disquiet over here, and in India, and finally (it seems) in Australia about flat pitches. Sure, there are a few grounds that've remained the same (The Oval's square in 1976 could be transported 30 years on and it'd be almost the same) but I'm surprised anyone would perport that little has changed.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information