• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kevin Pietersen vs Michael Hussey

Who is the better batsman?

• Total voters

pasag

RTDAS
There are certain flaws in doing this right after a guy makes a century, but I am quite interested to know who people think is the better batsmen including such things as who is greater at the moment, who will be greater at the end of both of their careers, who would you rather have in your side, who do you rather watch, who is more valuable to their side and does the fact one plays for one country and other plays for the other impact your decision at all?

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Hussey has played 30 less innings and has only 1000 (1000/30=33.33) less runs? I pick Hussey.

I'd rather have Hussey on my side as he is a better batsman IMO, better fielder and all-round seems to be the better personality. I think Pietersen is more valuable to his side than Hussey is to ours, but I think that doesn't really reflect well in this comparison as it has more to do with their teams than them. I think Pietersen looks more brash at the crease and that gives great pleasure in viewing his batting, but when Huss is scoring and confident, you don't think anyone is going to get him out, bar himself.

Last edited:

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Hussey is better, I guess, but Pietersen has it way harder.

How could would Hussey be if he was playing for New Zealand, for example?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Hussey's an amazing batsman to watch IMO. His shot selection and placement is absolutely unbelievable.

The_Bunny

State Regular
Hard to say, Probably Hussey simply due to his record so far.
Both of them have the ability to be all time great batsmen, even given Hussey's age.

And despite them living in a very batsmen friendly era, I would back both of them to score big runs in any era really.

sideshowtim

Banned
Hard to say, Probably Hussey simply due to his record so far.
Both of them have the ability to be all time great batsmen, even given Hussey's age.

And despite them living in a very batsmen friendly era, I would back both of them to score big runs in any era really.
Yeah, same. You don't average (what's Huss averaging now, 87?), scoring 7 tons and 8 fifties over 18 Tests without being of significant quality.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Pietersen is the more talented player however Hussey atm is certainly the more complete batsman, the way he eliminates all risk early in his innings really is remarkable, the bowler knows if he's going to get Hussey out early he needs to bowl an exceptional delivery. He knows his limitations so well and I really dont think theres a more adaptable batsman on the planet atm.

Hussey a better player, yet Pietersen as has already been mentioned certainly more valuable to his side. And I get the impression history will remember Pietersen as the better player, he's going to have a significantly longer career (100+ tests compared to Hussey who might play 60) and he certainly hasnt reached the peak of his powers in terms of maturity and the mental aspect yet, theres still much improvement in him, whereas Hussey is at his peak right now.

Fiery

Banned
Hussey's an amazing batsman to watch IMO. His shot selection and placement is absolutely unbelievable.
IMO he's a bit like Michael Bevan. Despite the phenomenal amount of runs he scores he's strangely unattractive to watch, like a lot of stiff-armed left-handed run-machines from Aussie like Langer, Hayden, Taylor, etc. Give me a Gower any day

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pietersen will obviously almost certainly have a longer career - I just don't understand how Hussey keeps on churning-out the runs the way he has done to date (I mean, he's had the odd let-off but all those would mean would be that he averaged 70 instead of 80) having had a good but certainly not remarkable First-Class career of many years.

I can't ever see Pietersen doing what Hussey's done (ie, 3 years of virtually non-stop scoring), but then again I couldn't have seen Hussey doing it until he did. So it's anyone's guess TBH. You'd always go for the person who's done it right now, obviously, so Hussey it is. In any case, Pietersen, while he's played plenty of damn fine innings, has had more than his share of luck so far in his Test career.

And yeah, I'd be amazed if both batsmen couldn't be successful, if not this successful, in a more bowler-friendly time.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
At the moment, Hussey. But Pietersen will win more matches for England over his career that Hussey will for Australia... so in the long term I think Pietersen.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The better question would be Pietersen or Bradman, otherwise it just isn't close :ph34r:

Nah, I'm gonna be one-eyed as ever and say that KP hasn't rached his peak yet and when he does so will be better than Hussey. We'll see though.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Harmison to Lecter, no run, oh my it looks like the batsman is having a word with the bowler here.

"What is your father, dear? Is he a coal miner? Does he stink of the lamp? You know how quickly the boys found you... all those tedious sticky fumblings in the back seats of cars... while you could only dream of getting out... getting anywhere... getting all the way to the English test squad."