• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

what will be the Australian squad to tour the Windies?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
they take 15 for this tour dont they?
if so this is what i think it will look like

- Matt Hayden
- Justin Langer
- Ricky Ponting
- Damien Martyn
- Steve Waugh (captain)
- Darren Lehmann
- Adam Gilchrist (vice captain)
- Brett Lee
- Brad Hogg
- Jason Gillespie
- Glenn McGrath
- Martin Love
- Andy Bichel
- Stuart MacGill
- Brad Williams

Ive left warney out for obvious reason, however if he goes MacGill wont. Clarke was hard to leave out but Love deserves his spot on the tour and taking 8 batsman just wont happen.
Steve Waugh will go, the selectors would be mad to drop him now.

krkode

State Captain
There really isn't much debate on the topic of a first 11 for the aussies... :D

They've got a great solid test batting line up and a good deep ODI line up all the way to Gillespie/Lee.

I just wish Fleming was playing once again - a 4 man pace attack with those names would be devastating... :O

Simon

fleming is passed it, hes going to struggle to play much first class cricket anymore

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i think steve waugh will retire

Hayden
Langer
Ponting (c)
Martyn
Love
Lehmann
Gilchrist
Lee
Hauritz
Gillespie
McGrath

the reserves
Hogg
Clarke
Bichel
Bracken

Watson misses out through injury
Warne will get a 3 month suspension and miss the tour but be allowed to play for Hamps

The team that we have at the moment is great. But if Warne doesn't get to play because of a ban I would pick Hauritz and instead of Love I would put Clarke in. He deserves a match in the Test Team. He is a really good player and has a great future ahead of him.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
RickyPonting14 said:
The team that we have at the moment is great. But if Warne doesn't get to play because of a ban I would pick Hauritz and instead of Love I would put Clarke in. He deserves a match in the Test Team. He is a really good player and has a great future ahead of him.
Yes but the question is...has Love done anything wrong? And the answer is...no. So Love will go. If I had to I would drop Lehmann, it's tough as he hasn't had much of a chance, but then he hasn't really grabbed it when he did play. Clarke...this guy has only started performing well this season, for all we know it could end up as a one season wonder. If he can keep it up then pick him later. There's no point in picking youth for the sake of it. He will play tests in the future, but Love is more deserving at the moment.

Last edited:

Simon

rik, clarke actually started performing last season. some say the reason lehmann was picked and not him in the test team is because he was so consistent at the start of the season.
The only chance Love has had he performed so i see no reason to say he isnt next in line.
and on the subject of Waugh retitring, id be very surprised if he does now.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh ok fair enough. It's up to the selectors to decide if he's worthy of a place. People have only started to notice him playing this year.

On Waugh, he belted a 200 for NSW. I doubt he will retire.

Simon

steve is in as good as form as hes been in for a few years, he will realise that, he wants to go and the selectors have no reason to drop him, because he is still in the top 6 batsmen in the country.

Top_Cat

Guys, why pick Clarke? He's certainly a very talented player but he'll get his turn. Part of making the Test team is more than just being talented as both Lehmann and Love are that. It's about performance too and Clarke hasn't performed for more than this season yet (yes he scored a hundred last year but so did Shane Watson). He'll get his chance if he's good enough and as I've said before, even Rick Ponting had to wait until he'd played at least two full seasons of FC cricket before he was even considered. Clarke will be the same, provided he can back up one good season with another.

Honestly I don't see why people sem so eager to rush Clarke into the team on the basis of one season. I keep hearing of how talented he is but both Love and Lehmann are equally as talented and showed the same promise just as early in their FC careers too. Hell, Lehmann was 12th man in a Test against Pakistan at 19 years old! Even Clarke can't claim that.

He deserves a match in the Test Team.
I disagree completely. Love deserves a run as does Lehmann as they've all performaced consistently for long periods of time. Tell me, just what has Clarke done in this season which makes him more deserving of a Test spot than both Lehmann and Love? He sure looks like a good player, no argument there. But does this make him more deserving of a spot when those guys have got long-term performance runs in the bank ahead of him?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Very true T_C...as usual :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

I'm a bit worried about Martyn, he's not exactly set the world on fire at number 4 and another un-productive series could see more pressure put on him to perform.

Simon

i dunno about martyn, he seems to do nothing and then from no where he scores a century, he averages 50 in test cricket, so really even though he appears to be struggling hes still going well!

Eclipse

International Debutant
Martyn has lost his flair he used to be considerd a very very aggresive batsman who could and almost always would play all the shots in the book. Now days he is genraly thought of as a more deffensive player (and he is) witch is sad because he does posses some of the best cricket shots you are likley to see.

I think untill he decideds to start batting like he used to he will start to fade.

Just look at his proffile that was written about 2-3 years ago he was a real dasher back then. Infact even going back to the ashes series in England were he was in brilliant form and he was playing every shot in the book and was scoring his runs in test cricket at a strike rate of about 70.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Being in younger players i will go for this:-

Waugh
Gilcrist
Hayden
Langer
Martyn
Ponting
Lehmann
MacGill
McGrath
Lee
Gilcrispie

Bracken
Clarke
Hogg
Haddin
Love
Bichel
and that other young opener for queensland

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
broncoman said:
i dunno about martyn, he seems to do nothing and then from no where he scores a century, he averages 50 in test cricket, so really even though he appears to be struggling hes still going well!
47 now mate :)