• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brad Williams - a historical misnomer?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
One of the more curious careers of recent times has been of the Victoria\WA seam-bowler Brad Williams. Making his ODI debut at the age of 27 in the VB Series in 2001\02, he bowled one decent spell (10-31-0) and then stood down.

He was recalled when something which almost resembled an injury crisis struck Australia the following year, and was once more impressive, taking 10-33-1, 7-20-1, 10-57-2, 10-22-2 and 10-46-1 - just one really poor spell in 5.

When another injury crisis hit Australia the following spring, he went to India. The hosts collared him pretty effectively (10-67-1, 5-20-0, 8-43-0, 7-30-1) but against the Kiwis he was deadly, taking 9.4-22-4 and 10-53-5. He was near the front of the queue by his 3rd VB Series, and though the Indians started well against him again (9-52-2, 8-40-1) even they eventually fell to him as they begun to run-out of steam on that tour (7-23-1, 10-38-1, 6.2-12-2).

He then played 2 games in Sri Lanka, having a poor time once and a good time the other (5-28-0 and 9-29-1). This was the last he was seen of, as the following summer, aged just 30, he had a fit of pique about being dropped, fell-out with the WACA and was cut from the squad. At nearly 33 as of this post, his state career now appears over.

Yet his ODI record (against ODI-standard teams) reads damn impressively: an economy-rate of 4.14-an-over, and an average of 25.62. His List-A-one-day record is less impressive, though still certainly not poor at all: 72 games, economy-rate 4.43-an-over, average 23.21.

I must admit, to me Williams never looked any great thing in the making, just someone who was often in the right place at the right time (England were downtrodden in 2002\03, those New Zealand games were day\nighters with some incredibly seam-friendly conditions in the evenings, and as said India were running-out of steam when he got his best figures against them). And about the only Aussie I've ever spoken to about him recalled how he'd once attempted to sign an autograph without clicking the pen on (he's back on this forum now, and I hope he'll remember that).

If there's one thing that annoys me, though, it's a loose-ends career. Ideally, I'd have liked to see Williams play more and get clattered around the park; but if not, you'd hope someone'd play more games and continue with such a good record.

I mean, there's been some average bowlers play ODIs for Australia of late: Cullen, Dorey, Lewis, Clark, White (he was initially picked with some bowling in mind), Hopes, Hauritz. Even Johnson, Tait and Watson are yet to completely convince, though all three have done well in their most recent games. So it seems a little odd that one of Williams' reasonable performances didn't get a few more games.

Mind, having said this, a brilliant performer like Nathan Bracken couldn't get into the team until 2005\06.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
My most hated cricketer ever, he was such an arrogant prick for no reason at all. I could add more to the argument but its 3:20am, and I reckon because of this thread I'll have nightmares tonight, for various reasons.

a) he's so ugly
b) he ever wore a baggy green in an era of Australian cricket dominance, EVEN if it occurred during injuries of Glenn McGrath and Jason Gillespie
c) the fact that he ever dismissed Tendulkar in a test match

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What's worse, I was sitting at the MCG when Tendulkar went for a cover drive off Williams bowling, edged it and it landed safely into Gilchrist's gloves. I died a little inside that day.

In all seriousness, he was a decent bowler who IMO achieved more than he should have, partially through the stars aligning for him, as you pointed out. I thought he bowled **** in India in 2003 tri-series with NZ when conditions didn't suit. But when they did, he happened to land it in the right spot, and good on him, but there are a few bowlers I can think of that would have done equally as good, if not better, when given the chance. Plus I remember him having a bitch after Bracken was selected in the first test ahead of him vs. India. How he came out and said Bracken was only selected because of what arm he bowls with. Probably true, but you're hardly an established player yet, how about respecting Australian test cricket and keeping your mouth shut.

I don't think he was ever better than Stuart Clark, though I don't think Clark is anything special at ODI cricket. But if Clark went to India, he would have done well in those day-nighters too. The fact that Kaspa was left out, and Williams played both tests and ODIs was awful really.

The fact that he faded away into the wilderness gives me great pleasure. I remember him getting Ganguly out in a ODI at the Gabba, and getting all up in Ganguly's face and making the ugliest facial reaction whilst doing so I think I've ever seen. I almost threw up.

Then the heat at the Gabba got to the fat bastard, and his face got all red and stuff and he needed to go off the ground. Best moment, I laughed for so long that Lee running in and bowling at 150km/h could take the heat, but he couldn't. Difference in athleticism and fitness was amazing.

I really don't like him at all though, so I may be a teeny bit biased.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I remember him getting Ganguly out in a ODI at the Gabba, and getting all up in Ganguly's face and making the ugliest facial reaction whilst doing so I think I've ever seen. I almost threw up.
Yeah, remember that well.

Right, then, we've finally found a way to rile Jono. All - take note. :p Quality ranting.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Brad Williams was quite sharp early on, probably mid 140's. Had a career struck by injury more often than others and was probably picked too late. That said, if you look around at who in Australian cricket was bowling well when McGrath was injured, he was up there so had to be picked. Right timing, really. Was never going to last long due to injuries, though.

Julian87

State Captain
Yeah, he was very quick in his prime, a bit quicker than Johnson from memory.

I think he got in trouble with the law or soemthing in Perth meaning he was sacked from the state squad.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Is Richard suggesting that it's a misnomer that he was ever called an ODI bowler? Or otherwise?

Never made too much of an impression on me, to be fair. Another one of those interchangable blonde sportsmen usually called "Brad" or "Shane" that Aussie sports teams seem legally obliged to include a certain % of.

Fiery

Banned
Is Richard suggesting that it's a misnomer that he was ever called an ODI bowler? Or otherwise?

Never made too much of an impression on me, to be fair. Another one of those interchangable blonde sportsmen usually called "Brad" or "Shane" that Aussie sports teams seem legally obliged to include a certain % of.
:D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Misnomer's not the perfect word TBH but I CBA to think too hard and find a better one.

If you can think of one, suggest it and some Mod can change the title.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What am I? Your sub-editor? 'Cos we've got to have a serious discussion about your content if so... :p

What about "anomaly" or "aberration" tho?

Chubb

International Regular
Anomaly? so "Brad Williams- A historical anomaly?"

Williams got smacked around a bit by Stuey Carlisle when he scored 118 in Williams' debut test. Got to thank him for that even if he was a bit of a ****.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What am I? Your sub-editor? 'Cos we've got to have a serious discussion about your content if so... :p

What about "anomaly" or "aberration" tho?
Anomaly no way, has far too much of a history for mine. Aberration, maybe, but it doesn't sound quite right - makes it appear Williams made the aberration when it was more a case of selectors. I did think about it but thought... well, thought what I've just written.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I'm suprised his record against decent teams stacks up quite so well, the only thing he really had going for him was a bit of pace and agression, he was pretty one-dimensional with no variation at all, not very accurate, and he'd very occasionally jag one off the seam but not alot.

He was still very much in the frame right up until he picked up a bad back injury in Zimbabwe in 2004, he said it felt like he'd been stabbed or something, but he was still named in the squad for the top end tests against Sri Lanka in 2004...however his back injury dragged on for a long time and his career never really recovered. As they looked to develope guys like Tait and Johnson rather than go back to him.
Then last season (I think) he chucked a fit at training when he was told he'd been dropped so the WACA sacked him and last I heard he's a plasterer in Queensland.

If not for the timing of that injury he would concievably have played more for Australia, but I for one think things worked out okay in the end because a) he was a dickhead b)he wasnt actually that good.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My most hated cricketer ever, he was such an arrogant prick for no reason at all. I could add more to the argument but its 3:20am, and I reckon because of this thread I'll have nightmares tonight, for various reasons.

a) he's so ugly
b) he ever wore a baggy green in an era of Australian cricket dominance, EVEN if it occurred during injuries of Glenn McGrath and Jason Gillespie
c) the fact that he ever dismissed Tendulkar in a test match
Haha, are you my twin?