• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Buchanan's awful plan

sideshowtim

Banned
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22754507-23212,00.html

FORMER national coach John Buchanan has proposed a bold plan to fix world cricket where he believes rival Test nations should aim to poach the next generation of Australian stars.

In the wake of another crushing Australia victory in the first Test against Sri Lanka, Buchanan also called for a world cricket summit to address the growing chasm between Australia and the rest of the world.

As former South Africa batting great Barry Richards claimed cricket had become a turn-off because of Australia's overwhelming dominance, Buchanan advised rival nations to tap into Australia's talent pool of young cricketers.

"Countries should maybe look to recruit young players from Australia, and places like India, to increase their depths of talent," Buchanan said.

"Those players would enhance the domestic competition and hopefully go on to play Test cricket for the country they move to.

"I believe the International Cricket Council should allow this and relax guidelines for the qualification periods. This would be a short-term fix for a more level playing field in world cricket.

"A summit is also a good idea but it would have to be devoid of politics and have the right people in the room.

"We certainly don't want world cricket to become like a horserace when the favourite wins all the time. No one will want to watch."

Ricky Ponting's dominators have rebounded from the 2005 Ashes loss to win 13 Tests in a row - needing another four to snatch the world record for consecutive wins -- and there are growing fears cricket is becoming all one-way traffic.

Buchanan's idea may seem revolutionary but cricket can point to several successful defectors in the past.

Both Allan Lamb and Kepler Wessels have starred at Test level after switching their allegiances.
What a horrendous idea. There are many things wrong with it. First of all, if a kid grows up in Australia, dreaming of one day wearing a baggy green, what the hell makes you think he's going to want to relocate to the West Indies and play for them? Absolutely ludicrous. Cricket is based heavily on history, national pride and nationalism, far more than other sports. Plus, I don't bloody want our future stars stolen and given to another country! They're ours!

Also, this isn't going to help the countries who 'steal' our players in the long run. It doesn't encourage up and coming players, it doesn't attempt to strengthen the game at a grass roots level...It's just taking a player from another country...for a remarkably short term goal..I don't think Buchanan has thought this through very well...

Here's a solution: Mind your bleeding own. While it may be a long process, something needs to be done in 'struggling' cricket nations. And good, strong administration can fix it. Stealing other countries' players isn't the way to go about it!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Inclined to agree with SST. It's one thing when a player switches allegience of his own volition (& serves a full 4 year residence qualification), it's quite another to actively recruit them. Actually, IIRC didn't the Saffies offer a scholarship to a 14-year old Pakistani spinner who'd impressed them in the nets on their recent tour, now I think of it?

Where does it end? With Peter Moores launching an audacious £15 million bid to bring Ponting to England?!?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think it's very likely or anything, but there's no reason to believe it wouldn't help - while the fix might be a short-term one, success tends to breed interest, and beyond question it breeds more interest than failure.

TBH, I've always thought someone should play for whoever they want to. If some Aussie lad wants to play in West Indies and can give his all for them, good luck to him. Somehow, though, I doubt this would happen all that often, especially for Australians.

Really, though, you do wonder about Buchanan sometimes - seems to say odd things just for the sake of being odd. Quite unlike myself, obviously. :happy:

sideshowtim

Banned
I have no problem with our administration helping other cricket boards in the means of providing funding, equiptment, and even touring up and coming players from other nations for experience against quality opposition down here....No problem with that at all, so I hope no one accusses me of being anti-progress in terms of other cricket teams.

But to nab our players is just a ridiculous idea.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's ridiculous provided (and as I said, I assume this is a given) the Aussie lads concerned have no desire to play for anyone else.

But if they did fancy it, it'd not be ridiculous.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
My only problem with this idea is that then the individual boards have no incentive to develop their own infrastructure. If the Indian board can just recruit the best players, they'll outbid everyone and get the ten best Aussie players and put an Indian captain to lead them. They can even dismantle what little development they have and get rid of that money drain called FC cricket too.

With all those costs gone, they can afford to pay $20-$30million/year to players. Let's see anyone outbidding that. Wouldn't be that good for the world game IMO.

sideshowtim

Banned
My only problem with this idea is that then the individual boards have no incentive to develop their own infrastructure. If the Indian board can just recruit the best players, they'll outbid everyone and get the ten best Aussie players and put an Indian captain to lead them. They can even dismantle what little development they have and get rid of that money drain called FC cricket too.

With all those costs gone, they can afford to pay $20-$30million/year to players. Let's see anyone outbidding that. Wouldn't be that good for the world game IMO.
Good point. People will say "if they really want to play for Australia, they shouldn't care about the money". But these players have careers to look after. If they're promised stupid amounts of money a year, it's best for them on a personal level, especially given that cricket is a relatively short career.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Good point. People will say "if they really want to play for Australia, they shouldn't care about the money". But these players have careers to look after. If they're promised stupid amounts of money a year, it's best for them on a personal level, especially given that cricket is a relatively short career.
Yeah, Australia have relied on the good will of its rugby players in both codes for a long time too. It's the same representing Oz/more money principle.

Can't help but think the Champions League-esque 20/20 comps in India are the thin end of the wedge for something more sinister.

bond21

Banned
that idea is absolutely ludicrous.

Part of the excietment is beating the poms or the kiwis or whatever, not beating the australians who are wearing england uniforms.

Monty Panesar playing for england when india was touring looked absolutely ridiculous. He looked like he was playing for the wrong team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh: WTF? MSP is born and bred in Northamptonshire you nincompoop.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
that idea is absolutely ludicrous.

Part of the excietment is beating the poms or the kiwis or whatever, not beating the australians who are wearing england uniforms.

Monty Panesar playing for england when india was touring looked absolutely ridiculous. He looked like he was playing for the wrong team.
By that definition, Andrew Symonds should play for the West Indies (and Symonds was actually born outside Australia, unlike MSP)....

Plus MSP wouldn't make the Indian team. :p

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Buchanan must be taking the piss of the rst of global cricket suggesting that only Aussies are good enough to play aginst Aussies

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
One thing Ive worried about in cricket is how International cricket is really the only way to make a good living from the sport.

Other major global sports ie Football, Basketball etc, even Union to an extent, have strong domestic structures where players can earn considerable amounts of money.

The Test and ODI basis for cricket finances means that players have little freedom of movement.

Ive often considered the question, 'If I was good enough to be offered a central contract and I thought it was less than what I deserved, would I have the courage to tell them to piss off?" The alternative to what is offered is currently zero.

Cricket boards have known they have a complete monopoly of their talent and have abused it as the players have no other option but to sign with them.

Now from Packer origins to what is currently happening in India, there are more options available to cricketers now than before but still the vast majority are under the thumb of the boards in order to make a good wage.

I have no issue with a player moving to another country for opportunities and money as long as they commit to that nation for the long term as both opportunities and money are hard to come by in this sport.

howardj

International Coach
Good old John Buchanan. He loves a left-field idea this man. I mean, could you imagine the soul-lessness of international cricket if each country was nothing more than a franchise! We saw how meaningless the players regarded that World XI Test match two years ago.

Go away John - take your left-field, funky ideas somewhere else.

Julian87

State Captain
It is flawed.

But tbh, If i was at a level knowing I would never have a chance of representing Australia, perhaps playing first grade or whatever and a touring team spotted me and said would I want a chance to do this by playing FC cricket in their country i would jump at the chance.