• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Check Murali's action in a Test - Warne

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ausvsl/content/current/story/319550.html

"He should be tested under match conditions," Warne wrote in his column in News Ltd newspapers. "I'm sure he is sick of it all, but it would be well worth the exercise and hassle.

"I think for his own peace of mind and everyone in world cricket, do the testing in the heat of battle - a Test match. Surely the ICC, Sri Lanka and Murali would want that."
The former Australia batsman Michael Slater took part in the 2004 analysis and he said despite going into the trial with doubts about Muralitharan's action, by the end he was totally convinced Muralitharan did not throw - even when bowling the doosra.

"In Australia, there is an almost universal belief Muralitharan is a chucker," Slater said in the Sunday Mail. "But if they were to see this footage they would be amazed. When people see the video, they say, 'I've changed my mind, he's not a chucker'."

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
When I saw the headline I was thinking "here we go again", but I think the suggestion from Warne isn't so bad. He's not disparaging Murali here, although the headline makes it seem that way.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Absolutely exactly what I thought.

Was also going to comment on the Slater comment: "In Australia, there is an almost universal belief Muralitharan is a chucker". Well, I can't comment on the general trend, but on CW, while there've been more Aussies who've called him such than those from anywhere else, I'd say on balance far less Aussies than not tend to believe his action legit.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Absolutely exactly what I thought.

Was also going to comment on the Slater comment: "In Australia, there is an almost universal belief Muralitharan is a chucker". Well, I can't comment on the general trend, but on CW, while there've been more Aussies who've called him such than those from anywhere else, I'd say on balance far less Aussies than not tend to believe his action legit.
Slater's comment is spot on.

I'd say 90% of Aussies with even a passing interest in cricket thinks he chucks.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I wonder how many would choose to ignore all the scientific evidence if Warne hadn't been around to compete. It's an interesting question, because Australia is a country where they think he chucks more than any other place and it can't be a coincidence (especially as historically speaking, Australia has been the where many non-traditional cricketing ideas have been born).

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Slater's comment is spot on.

I'd say 90% of Aussies with even a passing interest in cricket thinks he chucks.
I'd agree. I'd also add that I think a good percentage of that percentage aren't looking to change their minds based on any facts/tests.

I had, in the past, been fervently against his action and it was not till I came here and gotten a dose of education on the matter that I have become better at knowing Murali's action. I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing it and not feeling it is awkward but I think it's done with on my part and right now he is bowling legitimately in my eyes.

I also think the title is extremely misleading. I think Warne's suggestion is perfect actually.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'd agree. I'd also add that I think a good percentage of that percentage aren't looking to change their minds based on any facts/tests.

I had, in the past, been fervently against his action and it was not till I came here and gotten a dose of education on the matter that I have become better at knowing Murali's action. I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing it and not feeling it is awkward but I think it's done with on my part and right now he is bowling legitimately in my eyes.

I also think the title is extremely misleading. I think Warne's suggestion is perfect actually.
Yea, I didn't mean to imply anything else. I think that if it is possible to do it, they should certainly do it. it would be a great idea.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's not Manan's BTW - that is the headline of the piece on CricInfo, and was the first place I spotted it 10 minutes before he started this thread.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
It's not Manan's BTW - that is the headline of the piece on CricInfo, and was the first place I spotted it 10 minutes before he started this thread.
I know it wasn't Manan's. I read the article itself on Cricinfo.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Lose-lose situation for Murali imo. As Kazo has stated, many Australians could care less about facts or evidence, and thus Murali has little to gain from complying with such a Test. Not to mention that it certainly would be a major distraction from the task at hand, which is to win the next Test.

Last edited:

JBH001

International Regular
Lose-lose situation for Murali imo. As Kazo has stated, many Australians could care less about facts or evidence, and thus Murali has little to gain from complying with such a Test. Not to mention that it certainly would be a major distraction from the task at hand, which is to win the next Test.
Agreed. Murali has already done enough to clear his action - especially as many of those tests were conducted under simulated match conditions (speed and bounce of delivery etc) so I dont see why he needs to be constantly looking over his shoulder. Enough is enough. I think this a poor idea and a needless distraction. The only way I can see this as being even remotely legitimate is if other bowlers are also tested in match conditions.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the problem - and in some ways I agree with it - is that being tested in a controlled environment is very different to being tested in a match.

I'm all for the idea - if he's tested in a game and continues to bowl the same only to be cleared, I think you would have many doubters finally concede his action is legal. The only problem people have, I believe, is that he's been tested somewhere he doesn't have to try and spin it as far.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Sorry, it's just been bugging me, but it's couldn't care less, not could care less.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm all for the idea - if he's tested in a game and continues to bowl the same only to be cleared, I think you would have many doubters finally concede his action is legal.
I really doubt it. My guess would be that they'd react "he knows he's being tested so he's obviously going to bowl legally" or some such tomfoolery. It's exactly the same as it would be in a lab.

No, I'm happy, personally, with the lab testing, and that Murali was bowling exactly then as he would in a game.

In any case - how easy would it be to test a player in-game? That's before we even get to the fact that, really, it's completely unfair. A player should be able to concentrate on the game at hand to the maximum extent, not have to be worrying about the fact that 2 deliveries might be 0.663degrees over the limit - which, I gurantee you, some naysayers would use to claim he was a chucker and this proves all for evermore etc. etc.

Julian87

State Captain
As I just said in the other thread. If he came on to bowl in a junior representative match in Australia he would be taken off.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I posted this in the "Cricket on YouTube" thread originally, but is probably germane to this discussion as well.

Murali at 2000 frames per second.

Now that sort of scrutiny might make a lot of bowlers' actions look questionable, but there's no doubt that Murali's delivery from about 1.05-1.15 looks (note "looks") rather ordinary to say the least. & that is the problem; Murali's action has always looked iffy.

shortpitched713

International Captain
:laugh:

Even though TBH I'm less than certain what sp713 means. :unsure:
You don't know what is short pitched bowling???

In any case, I would have thought the meaning of my user name was both fairly self explanatory and irrelevant to the context of the discussion.