• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa are the only ones who could challenge Australia

bond21

Banned
We have won our last 14 tests, Sri Lanka were disappointing at the Gabba.

I have been watching SA vs NZ and I think SA is the only team in the world who could challenge Australia.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
At home, perhaps.

Australia in India or Sri Lanka can be a whole different thing to India or Sri Lanka in Australia, though. I really don't see Clark or Johnson being at all effective in subcontinental conditions - or at least not half as effective as they are at home, while MacGill has traditionally struggled there as well. The batting would stand up but the bowling could become a real problem in certain conditions.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia will only struggle when facing a quality bowling attack. Which team has the attack to do that I'm not sure. South Africa and Pakistan are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. India's bowling attack all seem to be in good form at the same time, so perhaps they could give us a run for our money.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
South Africa could indeed challenge Australia - if they could catch their bloody catches like they did in said NZ Test when they play Australia.

Sadly, the last 2 occasions they've faced Australia, in 2005\06 and 2001\02, their catching has gone completely to pot and while England demonstrated in 2005 that you can drop catches against Australia and still win, most other teams' fortunes, and South Africa more than most, show that dropping catches will usually cost you dear.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SA on paper always look solid buuuuut, once they're out on the paddock, the Aussies just seem to make them look second-rate. I think the lack of truly world-class players with the ball puts too much pressure on their batting and their somewhat dour style generally speaking means they don't really force results., Tend to get themselves in a bit of hole sometimes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think their catching makes their bowling look mundane.

And it really is as simple as that.

sideshowtim

Banned
Okay, people need to stop getting carried away here...Let's remember that Australia have just lost Warne and McGrath. Yes, we've won this one Test against Sri Lanka in unfamiliar conditions to them, however I don't think there is much evidence to suggest that this new Australian team is indestructible as some think.

Sri Lanka will be a tough challenge in the next Test as they'd have learnt a lesson from the First test, and we all saw what India did to us last time without Warne and McGrath...Let's just not get carried away here. I'm hearing far too many people commenting on Australia's current dominance as if this side is going to be unstoppable...Now I'm one of the most biased Aussies on here, but at least I can see it's not all gonna be roses! More sides are going to challenge us than you think!

sideshowtim

Banned
Your words say 'we may lose'.

Yet your heart says 'AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE'.
Of course mate.

But if some Aussies think we're going to be as dominant as we once were, I personally think they're gonna be in for a bit of a rude shock. Some people (non Aussies included) are carrying on like we'll be as dominant as ever.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fair enough we've lost Warne and McGrath, but personally I think that's better than losing say Hayden and Ponting. If Australia keeps putting on 500+ all the time it doesn't matter who you have bowling for you, you should win the test, or at least not lose it. Australia will keep winning test, especially with a bowler of MacGill's quality in the side.

sideshowtim

Banned
Fair enough we've lost Warne and McGrath, but personally I think that's better than losing say Hayden and Ponting. If Australia keeps putting on 500+ all the time it doesn't matter who you have bowling for you, you should win the test, or at least not lose it. Australia will keep winning test, especially with a bowler of MacGill's quality in the side.
We're not gonna put on 500 all the time though. It's inevitable that a few of the batsmen will have bad days. Either that or someone from the opposition will have a freak of a day with the ball.

sideshowtim

Banned
In times gone by, when our batsmen did indeed fail, we'd have McGrath and Warne to bail us out. 99 times out of 100 they'd do it. Without those guys, I dunno how easy it'll be for our bowlers, who with all due respect, don't hold a candle to legends like them. I'm not worried about us when we get 500 on the board, it's in tricky conditions and we get significantly less than I'm worried. It also puts significant pressure on our batsmen to perform all the time. That may have a detrimental effect on their performance (Not Punt though, gun under pressure :p).

burr

State Vice-Captain
Do Australians really want their team to be dominant? I mean i am Australian but I couldn't care less if we get beaten occasionally, in fact I'd thoroughly enjoy it. Anyway, I wonder if we played this year in India if we would beat them? That is an interesting question.

sideshowtim

Banned
Do Australians really want their team to be dominant? I mean i am Australian but I couldn't care less if we get beaten occasionally, in fact I'd thoroughly enjoy it. Anyway, I wonder if we played this year in India if we would beat them? That is an interesting question.
Yes, I can honestly say I would love nothing more than to win every single Test that we played.

Flem274*

123/5
The Aussie side will indeed not always put on 500. Can't wait for the next time they run into a Shane Bond wicket spree.

EDIT: In saying that, the Aussies are never a walk in the park. They will be difficult for a few years yet but no one is unbeatable. If teams go into the match with the mindset of some of the posts on here its no wonder Australia dominate.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, I can honestly say I would love nothing more than to win every single Test that we played.
I'm always a bit surprised anyone would do anything else TBH. I mean, there's never, ever any way I'm anything other than disappointed when England lose a Test, and similarly when one gets drawn that we should have won.

Even if many are aware that Australia's dominance is bad for the ecology of the game, you've got to expect that when the game's happening they're rooting 100% for "their boys".

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm always a bit surprised anyone would do anything else TBH. I mean, there's never, ever any way I'm anything other than disappointed when England lose a Test, and similarly when one gets drawn that we should have won.

Even if many are aware that Australia's dominance is bad for the ecology of the game, you've got to expect that when the game's happening they're rooting 100% for "their boys".
Yeah, the fans here all root for their team in each game and are thoroughly dissapointed when they lose. They don't barrack for the opposition when it gets down to a game-by-game basis - certainly not - but if you asked the average fan whether he'd like to see Australia win every game in cricket's future that they were involved in, he'd say no.