• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Idea for shortened 16 team World Cup with less mismatches

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I won't waste your time with introductions other than its based on the 2006 Champion's trophy so I'll go straight into it

Round one is a knockout stage for lower seesded teams
Round two is the round robin group stage with 4 groups of 3 with the top two going into the quarterfinals
After that there will be straight knockout through to the final

Teams seeded 1-8 go stright into the round two groups as shown

GRP A
T1
T5
Winner of Match 1

GRP B
T2
T6
Winner of Match 2

GRP C
T3
T7
Winner of Match 3

GRP D
T4
T8
Winner of Match 4

Round One Matches

T9 vs. T16 (Match 1)
T10 vs. T15 (Match 2)
T11 vs. T14 (Match 3)
T12 vs. T13 (Match 4)

The seeding will be based on the ICC ODI Chamionship Table and The ICC Trophy.

Feel free to comment

bond21

Banned
get rid of the bad teams completely, theyre just a waste of space

Just have the top 8 teams - Australia, England, India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, West Indies, New Zealand and South Africa

Dizzy #4

International 12th Man
That's boring, I like to see a World Cup where minnows can win big for get thrashed trying! Like Ireland!

Watching all the big teams just isn't the same without the Minnows, that's what makes it fun!

It is also good experance for them!

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year

Just have the top 8 teams - Australia, England, India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, West Indies, New Zealand and South Africa

:laugh: Or even better just give Australia the cup and let them keep it

White Lightning

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
the world cup format was ok, it just went for too long.

the idea of a world cup is to get more teams participating. and its great experience for them.

i think the ICC trophy should be the top 6 teams in the world, with knockout games between 7 and 10, 8 and 9. winners play teams 1 and 2. ranking based on the ICC rankings 6 months prior to commencement of the tournament.... so the icc would be like the world championships. where as the world cup would be more like the olympics where you see the minnows play, and yeah you do get a few floggings but thats life isn't it...

i think the super 8 shouldn't be as long winded either.

world cup format for me should've been the 4 groups of 4. then into 2 groups of 4 (2 qualifiers from each group, and they don't go into the same group). then semi finals, then final. just cuts off a few games.

also play 2 or 3 games a day during the first phase. shouldn't last any more than 9 days really (3 games in 9 days is not that hard). second phase is 12 games - 1 game a day. in only 21 days and we have the semi finalists and finalists decided.

then those games played over the following weekends.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
16 is clearly too many, so 12 would be fine.

3 groups of 4, with 3 of the 9 test sides in each group.
One non-test side in each group.
Top 2 from each group go through, giving us a super 6 instead of super 8.
Then semis & final.

AFAICs the only disadvantages are:
- we wouldn't have had Ireland this time around, but the reduction in pointless thrashings more than compensates
- less exposure/experience for the minnows, but do they really benefit anyway? Highly dubious imo.

Advantages are:
- far less pointless thrashings
- shorter second stage
- first round isn't purely a warm up for most of the test sides

Chemosit

First Class Debutant

In other words just have the Champions trophy twice as often. Despite the WC lasting that extra long time there were far more people interested in its early stages that any stages of the CT. Says something about the excitement that the 'minnows' bring to the game.

Then again, how do you rate the bad teams? Going by some of the results we have had over the last year, every team bar Australia could be excluded. I know, why not make cricket like baseball where only 1 country plays and call it a World Series. A great way to build up already inflated egos while boring the rest of the world to tears.