• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2007/08

Silver Arrow

School Boy/Girl Captain
The 4-day State Championship started today with Matthew Sinclair scoring the first century of the domestic season and finishing day one on 189* helping Central Districts to 304/5 with Tim Lythe on 24*

In Christchurch, Auckland are 259/4 at stumps on with Nicol 41* and de Grandhomme on 13*

In Hamilton, Northern Districts are 219/9 at stumps with Aldridge on 32* and Arnel on 7*

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Get in! Heath's tip before the start of the season, Mark Houghton, bagged 2-12 off 5 overs today. Didn't even expect him to play first class until after Christmas, so well ahead of my schedule. Jesse with 2 wickets too. Keep it up Firebirds.

In other news...

BJ Watling continues to impress as a stonewaller... 166 balls for 58....
Matty Sinclair continues to spank Provincial attacks...
Geoff Barnett proves the stupidity in Phlegm's suggestion of an NZ call up with a duck off 42 balls

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Get in! Heath's tip before the start of the season, Mark Houghton, bagged 2-12 off 5 overs today. Didn't even expect him to play first class until after Christmas, so well ahead of my schedule. Jesse with 2 wickets too. Keep it up Firebirds.

In other news...

BJ Watling continues to impress as a stonewaller... 166 balls for 58....
Matty Sinclair continues to spank Provincial attacks...
Geoff Barnett proves the stupidity in Phlegm's suggestion of an NZ call up with a duck off 42 balls
*sigh* thanks Geoff. he did do well for Canada though, but I doubt he'd compete against the likes of australia.

CD going well, without Greg Hay I think as well. The problem will be the bowling. No Mason, Hamilton or Oram anymore so we may have a major problem.

Jamie How playing pathetically. And this guy is going to play one dayers for NZ shortly.

Oh and the period that foreign players have to wait for before they play for another test side is three years, how long has De Gronholmme been playing? Two years? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that as long as he's in reasonable form he'll be selected as soon as he's elligible.

Isn't BJ Watling a wicketkeeper opener? How old is he and how talented? He's got a good chance of playing England next year if things keep going downhill...:ph34r:

HeathDavisSpeed

Jamie How playing pathetically. And this guy is going to play one dayers for NZ shortly.

Oh and the period that foreign players have to wait for before they play for another test side is three years, how long has De Gronholmme been playing? Two years? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that as long as he's in reasonable form he'll be selected as soon as he's elligible.

Isn't BJ Watling a wicketkeeper opener? How old is he and how talented? He's got a good chance of playing England next year if things keep going downhill...:ph34r:
BJ Watling is a young stonewaller. I think he's 22/23. No chance of him playing against England, Phlegm. Griggs is a better keeper. Christ, Northerns have selected McGlashan as a keeper ahead of Watling as keeper today.

I think de Grandhomme only moved here last year - two years left to qualify - and AGAIN, no need to sink to panic measures. He's a decent player, but he's in the middle order YET AGAIN! We've got a surfeit of middle orderers who are currently better players than him. I'm not ruling him out in the future, but he should be about 9 or 10th in the middle order queue - not first or second!!!

How is poor though. Another one of Bracewell's boys, sadly.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
BJ Watling is a young stonewaller. I think he's 22/23. No chance of him playing against England, Phlegm. Griggs is a better keeper. Christ, Northerns have selected McGlashan as a keeper ahead of Watling as keeper today.

I think de Grandhomme only moved here last year - two years left to qualify - and AGAIN, no need to sink to panic measures. He's a decent player, but he's in the middle order YET AGAIN! We've got a surfeit of middle orderers who are currently better players than him. I'm not ruling him out in the future, but he should be about 9 or 10th in the middle order queue - not first or second!!!

How is poor though. Another one of Bracewell's boys, sadly.
I was under the impression that De Grandhomme was one of the better middle order men.

And i was in no way serious about Watling playing against England, nice to know we have someone who can see off a new ball though.

HeathDavisSpeed

I was under the impression that De Grandhomme was one of the better middle order men.
I do a mean impression of Dave Dobbyn. I'll save that one for when I'm next at a karaoke bar though.

De Grandhomme's a decent talent, but Ryder, Hay, Broom, Nicol, Redmond, Flynn... they're all talented and have a bit more experience. I don't think you need to pressurise a lad who's not even eligible to play for NZ yet (just look at Ray Price as an example for one who changed his mind about playing for his new country).

Mind you, in three years time you might see a 5-6-7 of Myburgh, de Grandhomme, van Wyk and wonder if NZ's a satellite state of South Africa rather than Australia.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Congratu-freakin-lations, Braces - you're a chump. Hand in your coaches badge at NZ Cricket and go back to digging graves.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
CD going well, without Greg Hay I think as well. The problem will be the bowling. No Mason, Hamilton or Oram anymore so we may have a major problem.

Ummmm, How wasn't playing for CD, he's already left for SA. And Greg Hay is. He got out for 10 (doesn't really seem like that exciting a prospect to me).

Fairly interesting day's play. Again nothing good coming out of that supposed bright young star Hamish Bennett, but then again it does sound like a feather bed of a pitch. Which makes it all the more surprising that Auckland batted at less than 2.5.

BJ Watling might be a decent opener, he did average 37 last season. But then again Papps averaged 90 last season, and look how spectacularly he's getting on in the republic.

Disappointed Wellington couldn't bowl Northern out last night. I'm keen to see Tim Southee have a bowl. He had a good end to last season and it'll be interesting to see whether he can follow through with it.

A good start. It's a pity the BC's aren't playing in this, as they could do with being in teams that regularly pass 200.

White Lightning

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
what was the central district top order doing. 3-39 and the only batsman to score was Matt Sinclair....

Also great to see James Marshall captain of northern district. fantastic fella - played for our club a few years back. pretty good batsman as well but has just struggled in first class cricket. I think he, along with countless others are victims of ordinary new zealand pitches....

Also how is Wellington likely to go this season with Anthony Stuart as coach??

Silver Arrow

School Boy/Girl Captain
Northern dismissed for 224, Arnel run out by Matthew Bell for 8, Aldridge left 36 not out.

Last edited:

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Also AWTA. Too concerned with trying to outsmart the opposition, or trying to play mind games, or spewing forth rubbish about skill sets and other crap. Despite having probably the most talented bunch of players overall that we've ever had, we've got technical problems galore, are mentally weak and our fielding seems to have gone down the toilet too. Got to wonder wtf he actually does as a coach.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
mathew sinclair reminds me of the rugby league player cliff lyons... graham lowe once said when hes either hot or either cold no inbetween but you still pick em anyway.