Cricket Player Manager
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: ***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2007/08

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    All I know is what I've heard about him on the radio. He's a left arm quickie and he swings the ball A LOT. Really disappointing from Wellington, with three batsmen getting out without playing a shot. Always dangerous to leave against a lefty swinging it into you. Still I haven't lost hope completely. Too experienced campaigners in Parlane and Nevin at the crease, and a forecast of rain tomorrow afternoon could yet let Wellington get away with an undeserved draw.
    Davidson has surprised me. Last time I listened to him he was bowling pies vs Otago in an evening session.

Quickie? How quick?

Spose he has a long way to go though, all our depth is in the bowling so he'll be down the list now that Hadlee has gone from selections meaning random young blokes with talent won't be picked from obscurity (not attacking his policy, just stating a fact).

The cynic in me says if he's any good he'll be injured constantly...
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Davidson has surprised me. Last time I listened to him he was bowling pies vs Otago in an evening session.

Quickie? How quick?

Spose he has a long way to go though, all our depth is in the bowling so he'll be down the list now that Hadlee has gone from selections meaning random young blokes with talent won't be picked from obscurity (not attacking his policy, just stating a fact).

The cynic in me says if he's any good he'll be injured constantly...
    Oh not fast, I was using the term quickie rather broadly. Just somewhere around Franklin's pace. And yeah, given that he's only played 6 games its a bit silly to start thinking about how he'd do in the national set up. Even if he does manage consistent excellence over the next couple of years, he'll always be 2nd in line behind Franklin. Still, excellent effort all the same.

U19 Captain
    What about this Bennett kid? He's only 21 and produced some spell in the first innings taking 7 wickets. But it also goes to show what a green wicket this is, so while bowlers are performing, they are getting a lot of assistance.

Bennett is faster than most in the domestic comp, but he's basically a Harmison type bowler. Relies on bounce, rather than swing, and unfortunately, also like GBH, seems to have a wonky radar. He took 7 wickets, but from what the commentators said it sounded like he was spraying the ball all over the place. Definately a prospect, but one who's a long way from being the finished article.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leslie1 View Post
    What about this Bennett kid? He's only 21 and produced some spell in the first innings taking 7 wickets. But it also goes to show what a green wicket this is, so while bowlers are performing, they are getting a lot of assistance.
    I'm a fan but its his first decent performance in a long time. See how he goes for a few years.

And the wicket is actualy more of a batting wicket that has something in it for the bowlers. The batting has just been poor in the first two innings though admittedly in the last two innings the bowling has really gone up a notch. Gillespie showing his day in, day out inconsistenvy as per usual.

Good effort by him though.

Not surprised the ball has dominated though, Wellington has no (proper) black caps batsmen and Canterburys (Fulton) is out of nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Gillespie showing his day in, day out inconsistenvy as per usual.

Good effort by him though.
    Yes it was. I'd be surprised if he wasn't picked ahead of Mason simply because on his good days Gillespie is a genuine threat to test class batting lineups while Mason is really a less penetrative version of Kyle Mills.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Great work from Wellington, and a very disappointing game from Steve Gellatly. He may not get back in the side come next season, and he'd done well up to this point.

I have to say though, kudos to van Wyk for declaring when he did with a relatively small lead - I know his hand is kind of forced by the weather, but in those circumstances, it must be very tempting to let the guy (Stewart) get his century and hope to roll them on the next day.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Neal Parlane looking likely to guide the wellington boys home. Great stuff.

:sigh:

Knew my saying that would have this effect.

U19 Captain
    Just catching up with the action. What a low scoring final. Canterbury went into this severe underdogs and Wellington just batted negatively.

Just catching up with the action. What a low scoring final. Canterbury went into this severe underdogs and Wellington just batted negatively.
    They didn't in the second innings, they've been batting well over 3 an over all day, and were undoubtedly playing for the win.

U19 Captain
    Davidson bowled pearlers or Wellington top order just didn't want to bat? I heard a lot of shoulder and arms to a delivery that either nets LBW or just plain bowled.

Congrats Canterbury but hard luck Wellington, not being able to assert themselves like they have been all season to get themselves top of the table.

Davidson bowled pearlers or Wellington top order just didn't want to bat? I heard a lot of shoulder and arms to a delivery that either nets LBW or just plain bowled.
    from what I heard, Davidson bowled well, but Wellington batted appaullingly, I suppose because they aimed to just bat out the 4th day, and then have a go at the score the next morning. Whatever the thinking behind the leaving policy, it was seriously flawed.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Well done to Canterbury - they're a much different team from a few years ago when they were practically the black caps, so it's a good performance from them.

No idea how Todd Astle got 4 wickets though.

Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    Well done to Canterbury - they're a much different team from a few years ago when they were practically the black caps, so it's a good performance from them.

No idea how Todd Astle got 4 wickets though.
    Oh Astle's not that bad a leggy. Part time of course, but whenever he bowls he usually picks up a wicket or two, and by that stage of the match there were some pretty pronounced foot marks that he was hitting with some regularity.

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread Information