• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2007/08

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Good effort by a couple of our U19's today, with the still 16 yo Corey Anderson hitting 69*, and Tim Southee picking up a couple of wickets as well.

And good to see Wellington cleaning up against Otago, top start to the season, although it was disappointing to see Ryder again toss his wicket away when he should've gone on to get a big score.

Silver Arrow

School Boy/Girl Captain
Latest update: ND made a early breakthrough this morning with Orchard bowling van Wyk, Anderson still there on 71*

Adams picked up 2 early wickets this morning

Wellington still going along nicely at 434/8

sportychic33

State 12th Man
Latest update: ND made a early breakthrough this morning with Orchard bowling van Wyk, Anderson still there on 71*

Adams picked up 2 early wickets this morning

Wellington still going along nicely at 434/8
Anderson could become a good prospect for future development. Although we need to get him as far away from bracewell and dayle hadlee so that he can keep doing what he is doing without getting completely munted and injury prone.

Fiery

Banned
Anderson could become a good prospect for future development. Although we need to get him as far away from bracewell and dayle hadlee so that he can keep doing what he is doing without getting completely munted and injury prone.
Yeah. He's 16! :blink:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What's wrong with Dayle Hadlee? Thought he was quite well regarded amongst NZ cricketing circles.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
What's wrong with Dayle Hadlee? Thought he was quite well regarded amongst NZ cricketing circles.
I just think its time for a change, we haven't had that much development within our bowling quality online the number of injuries that we have had and how Hadlee has had to rebuild them from injury (eg. Bond). Would love to see Australian coaches implemented for a change.

Flem274*

123/5
Does the overseas player want to qualify for NZ?

Personally I think domestic cricket needs a re-vamp and I've been daying it for a while. Have three teams, basically join up CD and Wellington, Cantabury and Otago, ND and Auckland. The ND can have a decent batting line up and CD have a bowling attack.

From a CD perspective I'm a bit disappointed that they had such a horror collapse. Ingram, Hay and Griggs are far better than that. Our bowling attack is dire though apart from Schaw and McClennahan. Tim Lythe isn't bad though but Hegglun, Hefford and Diamanti suck.

Has Kane Williamson made his FC debut yet?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Does the overseas player want to qualify for NZ?

Personally I think domestic cricket needs a re-vamp and I've been daying it for a while. Have three teams, basically join up CD and Wellington, Cantabury and Otago, ND and Auckland. The ND can have a decent batting line up and CD have a bowling attack.

From a CD perspective I'm a bit disappointed that they had such a horror collapse. Ingram, Hay and Griggs are far better than that. Our bowling attack is dire though apart from Schaw and McClennahan. Tim Lythe isn't bad though but Hegglun, Hefford and Diamanti suck.

Has Kane Williamson made his FC debut yet?
Ughhh no. Not only would that reduce the level of competition in domestic cricket (you'd have what, 6 first class games a year if you played each other team three times), it would reduce the extent of proffessionalism to ridiculously low levels. If young talented cricketers coming through would know that only 40-50 players would get contracts (most of which would go to the experienced and seasoned players), what incentive do you think they'd have to pursue a proffesional cricket career? The only other country in the world I can think of that has so few domestic teams is Zimbabwe, and we all know what titans of the global game they are. I also don't think that simply cutting the size of the competition in half would dramatically improve the performances or abilities of the best players, and it would create a huge gap between club level and domestic level, which for many up and comers, would be hard to handle.

The current number of teams, and the quality of the cricket they play, is fine. Most New Zealanders who've played proffesionally in foreign leagues say the standard of First Class cricket over here is about the same as in English county cricket. Changes do need to be made, to improve the quality of pitches and facilities, to provide better salaries (which should be easier now that NZ Cricket has got a $50 million windfall from Sony) and better coaching and development programmes. I also think the hiring of a decent number of foreign proffessionals (both administrative staff and players) couldn't hurt. And sure, have a North vs South vs Central competitions as a state of origin type series at some point in the season, if it can be fitted in. But making it the main form of domestic cricket is going to far.

And no, Kane Williamson hasn't made his debut yet, and I should't I imagine that he will be anytime this season. He's only 17 afterall.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Ughhh no. Not only would that reduce the level of competition in domestic cricket (you'd have what, 6 first class games a year if you played each other team three times), it would reduce the extent of proffessionalism to ridiculously low levels. If young talented cricketers coming through would know that only 40-50 players would get contracts (most of which would go to the experienced and seasoned players), what incentive do you think they'd have to pursue a proffesional cricket career? The only other country in the world I can think of that has so few domestic teams is Zimbabwe, and we all know what titans of the global game they are. I also don't think that simply cutting the size of the competition in half would dramatically improve the performances or abilities of the best players, and it would create a huge gap between club level and domestic level, which for many up and comers, would be hard to handle.

The current number of teams, and the quality of the cricket they play, is fine. Most New Zealanders who've played proffesionally in foreign leagues say the standard of First Class cricket over here is about the same as in English county cricket. Changes do need to be made, to improve the quality of pitches and facilities, to provide better salaries (which should be easier now that NZ Cricket has got a $50 million windfall from Sony) and better coaching and development programmes. I also think the hiring of a decent number of foreign proffessionals (both administrative staff and players) couldn't hurt. And sure, have a North vs South vs Central competitions as a state of origin type series at some point in the season, if it can be fitted in. But making it the main form of domestic cricket is going to far.
Actualy, you have a very good argument and you've swayed me. The thing is, we have to depend upon a bunch of cowardly cricket politicians to make these, or any other positive changes.

EDIT: Yeah he's young, but they have Corey Anderson in at 16. Though that is due to neccessity.

Fiery

Banned
Actualy, you have a very good argument and you've swayed me. The thing is, we have to depend upon a bunch of cowardly cricket politicians to make these, or any other positive changes.

EDIT: Yeah he's young, but they have Corey Anderson in at 16. Though that is due to neccessity.
Which is not going to happen as long as John Bracewell is still in charge. If Justin Vaughan doesn't act now, or after the current series, in dumping old Braces then he's not taking his job seriously enough. I would like to think he's smart enough...he's a doctor ffs. Bracewell should have gone after the WC....but now I'm rambling..... *mutter, mutter...swig...mutter*

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Which is not going to happen as long as John Bracewell is still in charge. If Justin Vaughan doesn't act now, or after the current series, in dumping old Braces then he's not taking his job seriously enough. I would like to think he's smart enough...he's a doctor ffs. Bracewell should have gone after the WC....but now I'm rambling..... *mutter, mutter...swig...mutter*
You're drinking? I suggest in an hour or two you use some of your anger in your posts.......try not to get banned though.

EDIT: In reply to your post in the other thread, Adams is in that void between domestic quality and international quality. his bolwing isn't good enough to trouble international batsmen and his batting will only be good for 20/20. james franklin will always do a far better job than Adams.

Last edited: