• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What happened to Aqib Javed

Bazza

International 12th Man
I was just looking at the list of ODI hat-tricks and wondered if someone knows whether he still has a chance of getting back in the side? He debuted at 17 in the same game as Waqar Younis and in 1991 took 7-37 against India, including a hat-trick. By the time he was 20 he had won a world cup, and I guess from there the only way is dThey were the best bowling figures in an ODI for 10 years and he is still playing at 31, but hasn't played a test or one day international since 1998. By the time he was 20 he had won a world cup, and I guess from there the only way is down but still...what went wrong?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not sure if this is the exact case but I think he was a gambler & at one stage abused an umpire quite badly & was rarely picked for Pakistan after 1994.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Never liked him, and was so happy when he ran away after four deliveries at Dhaka (when India chased down 314) :D
Sachin had hit his first four deliveries for fours and he left the field to get treatment for a finger injury. Afridi bowled the next two and I think SRT got one more four out of that.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Perhaps that was more due to the fact that Sachin is one of the all-time greats, rather than Aquib being crap...

yohanna

Banned
Aqib Javed was a fairly good bowler, his performance in Sharjah was more or less the same as the one outside Sharjah!
Javed was one another victim of Waseem Akram, when Akram became the captain, he tried his level best to keep Aqib away from national team.As far as i can remember, Javed was never involved in gambling. He later made a come back (after a surgical operation) but was less impressive.

Bazza

International 12th Man
I don't know of a Shahid Saeed.

Thanks though to the people who were able to share a bit of knowledge about Aqib Javed.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk ,

I didnt say Javed was crap. He's a good bowler and in some periods did manage to hold his own in the Pak lineup which is saying a lot.
I said his hat trick (and that 7/37) was crap, and that I didn tlike him one bit.

I generally dont like the 'ugly' guys out there- the ones that take 'aggressiveness' to another level. There were a few like that in the Pak team of the mid nineties, notably Aaquib and Sohail. That had nothing to do with his bowling. As for bowling, having watched him over several matches, I did think that he was one half of a bowler outside Sharjah. In Sharjah he must count as one of the most penetrative.

I read a story in '99 or so about how Aaquib stopped sledging. I didnt know he had !
Apparantly he came out abusing a young Sachin Tendulkar who didnt react initially. Once, however, as he crossed over, apparantly he said 'aap gaali kyun dete ho' :D translating to "why do you abuse". Now one would expect that a guy like Aaquib would simply let another volley go, but asked that by this youngster, he apparantly decided to cut it down a bit.

I dont know if anyone else has heard of this one. It did surprise me.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
He's not a leggie is he?!
Surprisingly not, he's now 37, played 1 Test for pakistan back in 1989, bowling 15 overs for no wickets.

He also had 10 ODI's where he took an amazing 3 wickets (2 of those in one game!)

Wonder why he's not around any more. He last played about 7 years ago!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think you're being fair Marc. 11 International matches is a very limited opportunity. There are several players who have done poorly initially but hav picked up momentum with some experience.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
full_length said:
'cos he didnt deserve either.
Well he got them, and however much you say he didn't deserve them, the fact will remain that he got them. Maybe that won't please you, but hell, life's not a bunch of roses.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
full_length said:
'cos he didnt deserve either.
Ramprakash never deserved so many chances for England, but he got them.

That is possibly the most stupid comment I've seen - he took 7 wickets in an ODI, but didn't deserve them?

He took a hat-trick in an ODI, but didn't deserve it?

The hat-trick was Shastri, Azharuddin and Tendulkar, so they were all complete novices with the bat, so he clearly didn't deserve that.

The other 4 he got were Sidhu, Manjrekar, Kapil Dev and Prabhakar - again none of them were much cop were they?

3 LBW's, a bowled and a caught behind, so he was very wayward wasn't he?

krkode

State Captain
Well, like I said, Aaqib Javed isn't that awesome. Sure he's had a great match or two, but so has everybody. His record is very similar to Prasad's, and many consider Prasad to be crap (although I personally don't agree). Same way I don't agree that Javed is crap, but I'd just like to say my opinion, that he isn't special either. After all, he's never really had to carry the Pakistani bowling on his shoulders - there was always Imran Khan, Akram and/or Waqar Younis to do that...Despite that "leisure" he's still not so impressive.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Ramprakash never deserved so many chances for England, but he got them.

That is possibly the most stupid comment I've seen - he took 7 wickets in an ODI, but didn't deserve them?

He took a hat-trick in an ODI, but didn't deserve it?

The hat-trick was Shastri, Azharuddin and Tendulkar, so they were all complete novices with the bat, so he clearly didn't deserve that.

The other 4 he got were Sidhu, Manjrekar, Kapil Dev and Prabhakar - again none of them were much cop were they?

3 LBW's, a bowled and a caught behind, so he was very wayward wasn't he?
Poorly done sarcasm completely wasted. If that was the most stupid thing you've ever heard you should really step out and hear yourself sometime :rolleyes: What did you do , go and dig out the scorecard and figure out everything? When someone's taken seven wickets, he's obviously got most of the team out! What was the big purpose in writing down the names?

I didnt want to get into this but that hat trick was ridiculous. Two of those dismissals were not out, and by a distance. One of them was alright. That series got our goat so much that we refused to go to Sharjah after that unless the administration sorted out some things. I've seen biased home umpiring every other place (and in '91 /'92 or whenever that series was, Sharjah was home for Pakistan) , and dont think much of it generally. I dont think it generally screws up the results any more than the teams themselves do. But it's got to be mentioned when you're talking about individual players, and how such umpiring helped/hurt them.

He's played a lot against India and from the matches I've seen he's not very good anywhere else. Even in Toronto, when the pitch did so much for the bowler (Ganguly won a couple of man of the match awards for his bowling and took 5-16 or something liek that over there) he didn't look very penetrative, didnt trouble us much.