• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brant to play @ Essex

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
young QLD bowlerscott brant has been signed by essex as their 2nd overseas player - he is a good bowler, maybe lacking a little in accuracy howeever, a good signing??

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting that they've gone after a young player with no real experience, but I know that Essex wanted Ian Butler a year ago as one of their overseas players.

Andre

International Regular
I think it is a good move. He is a left-armer, so he offers variety, he's young, so it's not as likely he will break down, and he won't get picked by his country, making him avaliable all year.

Plus, I hasten to add, he would not be the most expensive player in their squad.

Bazza

International 12th Man
But he is unproven and if he doesn't offer something an 'ordinary' player won't then it is a bit of a waste IMO. We will have to wait and see how he performs.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Scott Brant is a very good bowler and he will offer a lot to the Essex side.

But i would've thought someone who is more experienced would be a better option, unless they are looking to develop some sought of full time relationship with Brant.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Or maybe it's just another case of "He's Australian so he must be much better" all over again. :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
hourn said:
I agree hes not experienced, but you can't say he hasn't done well.
I wouldn't pick anyone after just 5 games. Anyway I seem to remember he was an up and coming Zimbabwe youngster who moved like Ian Englebracht did.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Brant is an exellent talent but that does not mean he will do exeptionaly well sraight away.

He does have the ability to swing the ball along way in both directions as well as gain good movement of th seam ala Gillespie.

He still has a little bit of work to do with his direction but the fact he can bowl lethal deliverys bodes well for his future.

I remember watching him bowl to M. Beven in an ING cup game were Beven could not lay bat on ball to him and was constantly beaten outside offstump for about 5 overs with the new ball.