• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jesse Ryder back?

Flem274*

123/5
Hmm remains to be seen but its a start. Lord knows we could do with him in SA if things keep going the way they are.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Jesse Ryder actually behaving like a proffessional cricketer? Hmmmm...I'll believe it when I see it. Still, given how terrible the form of our current test batsmen are, all he needs to do is have a solid season with Wellington, and to keep his nose out of trouble. If he manages that, he'll be in the test and ODI sides by the middle of England's tour to NZ, next year.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My bet's on 62 days, 14 hours and 6 minutes.
FFS does that add anything whatsoever to the discussion? Yet another example of post-boosting by yourself.

Anyway, it would be awesome if Ryder was able to set aside his weight and disciplinary issues and become a more professional cricketer, but I'll beleive it when I see it. No doubt HDS will be able to confirm/deny if he's looking in good shape once the domestic season gets underway.

Craig

World Traveller
It's amazing how people are willing to forgive and forget (well maybe not on the later) when they are starting to get a bit desperate.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I'm willing to forgive because he could actually make a difference to whether we win or lose matches.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
It's amazing how people are willing to forgive and forget (well maybe not on the later) when they are starting to get a bit desperate.
Isn't that part of what makes people human? Recognising that people make mistakes and that if they want to change then you give them another chance?

Happens for criminals so why not for immature young men?

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
That's a big endorcement - you think he is that good?
The boy has prodigious talent.
I was leaving the cricket museum (doing some work there, ahhh dream come true) at the basin yesterday and they were training, didn't notice the big guy so he must have turned it around.

Craig

World Traveller
Isn't that part of what makes people human? Recognising that people make mistakes and that if they want to change then you give them another chance?

Happens for criminals so why not for immature young men?
If you saw some of the backlash against on here when he did a runner off to England, then you could see the reasoning behind my post.

HeathDavisSpeed

FFS does that add anything whatsoever to the discussion? Yet another example of post-boosting by yourself.

Anyway, it would be awesome if Ryder was able to set aside his weight and disciplinary issues and become a more professional cricketer, but I'll beleive it when I see it. No doubt HDS will be able to confirm/deny if he's looking in good shape once the domestic season gets underway.
Can already tell you. He's been in exceptional form for Naenae in the Pearce Cup. He scored another 110 today to add to his 81 last week. Must be pushing nearly 500 runs already for this club season. He's looking thinner - though not thin - and seeing him in the club rooms after the match last week, he was sipping on a Heineken. I got through 3 exports before he finished his first Heiney.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Can already tell you. He's been in exceptional form for Naenae in the Pearce Cup. He scored another 110 today to add to his 81 last week. Must be pushing nearly 500 runs already for this club season. He's looking thinner - though not thin - and seeing him in the club rooms after the match last week, he was sipping on a Heineken. I got through 3 exports before he finished his first Heiney.
If he's as good as people are suggesting shouldn't he be scoring 200's not just 110. Or is this limited overs?

What is so good about him? Who can he be compared to (talent wise)?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rubbish. It's simply a way of saying "probably not that long".

Hopeless cases tend to relapse again before too long - let's hope otherwise for Ryder, but my expectation would be that he won't more than he would.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
If he's as good as people are suggesting shouldn't he be scoring 200's not just 110. Or is this limited overs?

talent wise, he is up with Taylor,, and maybe better.. A lefty too which also helps..Ive heard various commentators and people that know better than me saying he could be as good as Martin Crowe... but thats only talent and potential... I definitely think he should be in the side soon.

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
He's better than pretty much everyone in the Black Caps at the moment and is still nowhere near reaching his full potential, if Bracewell and the selectors didn't have their understandable doubts he'd be an automatic slection IMO. Watching him and Fleming bat together at times last season was quite frankly captivating.

White Lightning

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
How funny i just got back from living in Ireland for a year. When i saw this thread i knew i knew the name Jesse Ryder and it was from his no show over there just after they won the world cup. Phil Simmons was, understandably, rather unhappy to say the least....

I also knew i knew the name Jesse Ryder when i read the newspaper to see he had been a no shown from Ireland... he is quite a talent from the few shots i've seen and given the lack of batting in NZ he can't be discarded too easily... It does put them in a pickle unfortunately but desperate times can call for desperate measures.

Has anybody got a bit of a rap sheet on him aside from being overweight in the past and not showing up for Ireland.

Just out of interest how did Wellington go last season??

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Limited Overs. Top intercity grades only play one day games up until Christmas so they can start the national club 1 day competition after Christmas. Seeing how crap the pitches have been so far this season for batting, its been a fantastic effort by the Big Jesse. No one else will be even close to him.

To give you some idea of how bowler friendly the pitches are this season, someone took 8-14 yesterday and another guy took 5 - 1.

Talent wise, at his best he's the best batsman I've seen in New Zealand since Martin Crowe. More talent than Fleming and a better technique than Taylor.

Flem274*

123/5
After having a look at the casualty list posted in the tour thread I expect him to be in the side this season. Does he get injured much Heath?