• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jesse Ryder back?

Olwe

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'd rather spend my hard earned Euros on Jesse Ryder than, for example, Jimmy Ormond.
what is rong with Ormond, he can play really well when he is on form, and he has also palyed with some of the best like Bicknell. in the past he has played very well for surrey and an avg for surrey @ 29.69

Woodster

International Captain
Am looking forward to seeing this guy play in the future. Must have an abundance of potential, because generally if a player is to behave like he has in the past they would be cast aside and marked as a liability for life. Unless they either a) have too much talent that they can get away with a little more than others, b) the national side is struggling so much they are to pin a nations hopes on his shoulders, or c) he does show that he is willing to leave his rather stupid days behind him and grow up. Is Ryder's situation applicable to all three ?

FBU

International Debutant
what is rong with Ormond, he can play really well when he is on form, and he has also palyed with some of the best like Bicknell. in the past he has played very well for surrey and an avg for surrey @ 29.69

2005 36 wickets 27.80
2006 6 wickets 38.16
2007 12 wickets 53.33

Maybe he needs to work on his fitness - 54 wickets in 3 years :huh:

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Like Mark Cosgrove? You mean a talented fat young cricketer who gets into a lot of scrapes?

Anyone got a pic of Ryder? I've never seen him. Surely if he has an attractive (blonde?) girlfirend then he is at least half way to making it as an international cricketer.

Fiery

Banned
Like Mark Cosgrove? You mean a talented fat young cricketer who gets into a lot of scrapes?

Anyone got a pic of Ryder? I've never seen him. Surely if he has an attractive (blonde?) girlfirend then he is at least half way to making it as an international cricketer.

Before he stacked on the beef:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Been in decent bowling form this season, acting as a change bowler. Struck 52 against Otago today too.

Fiery

Banned
Andre Adams must have come back into the picture with his bowling form. 5/12 yesterday for his 2nd 5-fer in 2 games

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
There'll be no grubby paparazzo shots of "Ryder's blonde stunner" for Voltman and Richard. Not from me at least. I live an hour north of the city these days and I'm not about to ask anyone.

Besides, I recommend taking anything half-cut Wellington club cricketers say with a grain of salt. They're far too easily impressed in my experience, and they need to be.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yep, can't remember when his move to New Zealand was discussed here, but it certainly was.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Found this on stuff... By Millmow...

"John Wright has opened up after spending two months getting his eye in.
The former test captain is poised to replace headline-grabber Ric Charlesworth as manager of New Zealand Cricket's high performance programme and he started on a promising note yesterday by going into bat for Wellington dasher Jesse Ryder as a one-day prospect."http://www.stuff.co.nz/4285901a10133.html

Perm

Found this on stuff... By Millmow...

"John Wright has opened up after spending two months getting his eye in.
The former test captain is poised to replace headline-grabber Ric Charlesworth as manager of New Zealand Cricket's high performance programme and he started on a promising note yesterday by going into bat for Wellington dasher Jesse Ryder as a one-day prospect."http://www.stuff.co.nz/4285901a10133.html
Unless I missed something he didn't say anything specifically about Ryder as an ODI prospect, just said that he could be a Black Cap in due time.

EDIT: I also find it quite amusing that Greg Todd is getting mentioned as a potential national batsmen. He's had a career of average proportions but now because he scored two centuries, his name is being tossed around a bit.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Unless I missed something he didn't say anything specifically about Ryder as an ODI prospect, just said that he could be a Black Cap in due time.

EDIT: I also find it quite amusing that Greg Todd is getting mentioned as a potential national batsmen. He's had a career of average proportions but now because he scored two centuries, his name is being tossed around a bit.
The point being that a possible future NZ coach or selector doesnt seem to be disregarding him because of the off the field things that have happened

Fiery

Banned
Eh? He's averaging over 40 which is bloody good for NZ domestic cricket and is a definite prospect...one of the brightest in the country atm. Not sure what you find amusing about that.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Eh? He's averaging over 40 which is bloody good for NZ domestic cricket and is a definite prospect...one of the brightest in the country atm. Not sure what you find amusing about that.
Seen him play a few times and not really that great, doubt he would be good enough for internationals, reminded me of Richard Jones, but a lefty.

Perm

This isn't meant to be a personal attack on you, but FFS barely anybody had mentioned him before the last round of State Championship matches and now, almost purely because he scored twin centuries, people are talking him up as one of the brightest in the country. No offence, but it really ****s me off how short-sighted some people are. Before the last game against Wellington he was averaging 35.84. Sharpen up everybody.

Perm

The point being that a possible future NZ coach or selector doesnt seem to be disregarding him because of the off the field things that have happened
Well quite possibly it's gotten to the stage where the selectors are just looking at somebody who will perform, regardless of what they do away from cricket. Not that I think that's the right way to go about it.