• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anil Kumble - India's New Test Captain

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Kumble to captain in Test series

Cricinfo staff

November 8, 2007

Anil Kumble was named India's captain for the three-Test series against Pakistan. The selectors announced the Test captaincy and retained the same one-day squad for the next two ODIs.

After Sachin Tendulkar declined the captaincy, Kumble appeared as the dark horse in the race, while Mahendra Singh Dhoni was the favourite to get the job.

Kumble had said yesterday that he would do the job if asked to. "I don't know what the big deal is, why so much is being made of this. I have said this before also." The only time Kumble led India was in a one-dayer against India in Chennai in 2001-02.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/story/318897.html

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Anil will become the first bowler since Kapil Dev to lead India in a test match. Having served India for so long, he fully deserves to be the captain.

JerseyGuy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Sanjay Manjrekar rightly said that this is a perfect gift for the man who has given such great service to Indian cricket.:)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Best of luck to Anil Kumble. He's a very patriotic man so I'm sure this is a big honour to him.

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
Does he have much Captaining experience or just playing experience?

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kumble has captained a fair bit UIMM, and is highly regarded.

Excellent choice AFAIC.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Does he have much Captaining experience or just playing experience?
Currently captaining Karnataka state Ranji team, so has captained at the FC level.
And as he himself said, has been vice-captain of the test team as well.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sanjay Manjrekar rightly said that this is a perfect gift for the man who has given such great service to Indian cricket.:)
I wouldn't call the captaincy of the Indian team a 'gift'. It's more like something you'd give to a guy you despised. If I was in the Indian Test team, I wouldn't touch captaincy with a ten foot pole.

Craig

World Traveller
Look this is a good call, but what do people think of this policy of picking or changing captains for each series? For me you pick the best player/option to captain and then pick the team, not chopping and changing.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Calm down !! They didn't remove anyone from captaincy, If you have been following the new lately you would have noticed that Dravid Resigned and Tendulkar refused. Dhoni seems to be too young hence picking Kumble.

Craig

World Traveller
Calm down !! They didn't remove anyone from captaincy, If you have been following the new lately you would have noticed that Dravid Resigned and Tendulkar refused. Dhoni seems to be too young hence picking Kumble.
What the hell are you on about?

I was asking a legatimate question, not attacking anybody, if I wanted to do have a go at the BCCI I would have done so. And no I don't read every thread on here about India, and yes I did see that Dravid resigned and Tendulkar refused the captaincy, but it doesn't mean you have to be a jerk. Sorry but that is how you came across.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Good on Kumble to get the captaincy. Wish him the best of luck starting from the series in Australia.

His tenure starts at home against Pakistan. Should be easier than starting against Australia in Australia.

The pace bowling department is still a bit tender, but hopefully Sreesanth in tests will make a difference. With Dravid finding form in the Ranji match, the batting side gets a huge shot in the arm. So he's not being handed a hot potato.