• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anil Kumble - India's New Test Captain

Athlai

Not Terrible
Crickets first and foremost job is to do what they can to win - which in the end will be the most entertainment for the masses.

Otherwise they should just take cricket balls and learn to juggle.
In the sporting sense though entertainment is the highest pinnacle.
Everyone wants to be the best, yet why bother does it really mean anything?

Its a bleak way of looking at such an appreciated part of society, yet the harsh reality is sport is just sport.

Yet as cricket is a popular sport, then being a good cricket player would thereby mean you are entertaining your audience.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
What do you think is going on in Dravid's head at this time HB?
lol... I dunno y I am suddenly being picked on here...

All I said was that it SEEMED to me that Dravid was feeling a little lonely out there and I had just speculated on some reasons. Some may have been right, some wrong...

But right now, I think Rahul is just trying to get back to his basics and just trying to bat as long as he can. If that is his frame of mind, I think it will be great for him and for the side. And I do hope that all this appearances of friction within the team are indeed misleading. :)

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That Lara was correct, ie cricketers are first and foremost entertainers. And almost everything makes sense through that lens.
Haha, no way. Maybe the public perceives them that way, but if cricketers felt their primary task was to entertain then it would be very wrong.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
lol... I dunno y I am suddenly being picked on here...
I dont know at all. I asked a serious question. I wonder what he mustrbe thinking watching the first three one dayers against Pakistan, watching Sehwag fail again and yet be selected for the next two games and wondering whether he (Dravid) will ever be selected to play for India in the limited over game again.

jeevan

International 12th Man
That Lara was correct, ie cricketers are first and foremost entertainers. And almost everything makes sense through that lens.
Just to be clear - this is a semi-cynical thought. As befitting the possible state of mind of Dravid. (Dont know the context that Lara said this, but even he has had ample opportunities to see the less wholesome sides of this game/business).

There is irony in the Sehwag / Dravid sidebar to this thread. I believe if Sehwag had even a fraction of the fortitude that Dravid has, Dhoni and Kumble may have never entered the captaincy picture. Sehwag was clearly next in line at one point.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
In the sporting sense though entertainment is the highest pinnacle.
In a sporting sense, the highest pinnacle is being the best. Entertainment is what the fans will get while watching you rise to the top (while cheering for or against you). Sport entertains most often when its at its grittiest. And in a sport like cricket, the excitement ideally builds up over five days and the final couple sessions decide the outcome.

Yet as cricket is a popular sport, then being a good cricket player would thereby mean you are entertaining your audience.
Yes. Your job as a cricketer is to try your best to win - entertainment is a side effect that will come from people watching you give it your all. If you try to do anything else, you cheapen the sport and in the long run do a lot of damage to it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sport entertains most often when its at its grittiest.
Well... to the true conniousseur it does, yes.

Sadly, to the "Joe Bloggs" (© R Cribb) masses it often entertains when at its most slapstick and haphazard - ie, bowlers spraying it all over everywhere and batsmen pounding along at 4.4-an-over.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I dont know at all. I asked a serious question. I wonder what he mustrbe thinking watching the first three one dayers against Pakistan, watching Sehwag fail again and yet be selected for the next two games and wondering whether he (Dravid) will ever be selected to play for India in the limited over game again.
sorry, SJS... misunderstood ur post... should have known better. :(

But yeah, you are right... It must be frustrating for him because the man who was picked as his replacement is not exactly setting the world on fire. It may have been easier for him if it was a policy decision but it obviously isn't which is why Sachin and Sourav are still in the ODI side... I am not sure if his thoughts will be exactly over pleasant at this juncture...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
sorry, SJS... misunderstood ur post... should have known better. :(

But yeah, you are right... It must be frustrating for him because the man who was picked as his replacement is not exactly setting the world on fire. It may have been easier for him if it was a policy decision but it obviously isn't which is why Sachin and Sourav are still in the ODI side... I am not sure if his thoughts will be exactly over pleasant at this juncture...
I would be very frustrated in his place. His 135 odd on the second day of the match against Mumbai came at nearly a run a ball and the attack included Agarkar and Powar. I am sure he was sending a message to Vengsarkar who was watching the game from the pavillion.

Where is the justification of keeping Sehwag in the side particularly when the captain wont even give him an over to bowl as Pakistan successfully chase 317.

I would have understood if for the next two games they brought in someone like Suresh Raina.

Maybe they will open with Sehwag in the next game lets see but if they drop him again, this will be a mockery of fairness in selection.

Vengsarkar is being vindictive here. Sure Dravid can be dropped but not without giving him another chance. The place reserved on the bench for a UP player who is never going to be a first XI player (or any Central Zone player for that matter) is enough to swing the central zone selectors vote.

FRAZ

International Captain