• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anil Kumble - India's New Test Captain

pup11

International Coach
As much as i am happy for Kumble i don't see this decision as a foresighted one simply because Kumble is 37 and he won't be around for long and that would mean soon a new captain would be required and constant change in captaincy isn't good, i would have liked Dhoni captaining the test side, agreed he is not an established test player yet but Indian cricket doesn't have too many options atm so they could have gambled with Dhoni.
Anyways good luck to Anil he deserves this honour, so i hope he does well.

pasag

RTDAS
I was really hoping this would happen and am very pleasantly surprised it did. He deserves it so much and the plan to let Dhoni find his straps in the shorter formats before becoming Test captain when Kumble retires is an excellent one.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
What the hell are you on about?

I was asking a legatimate question, not attacking anybody, if I wanted to do have a go at the BCCI I would have done so. And no I don't read every thread on here about India, and yes I did see that Dravid resigned and Tendulkar refused the captaincy, but it doesn't mean you have to be a jerk. Sorry but that is how you came across.
Are you alright Craigos ? Never seen you so angry and agitated. :fear: :fear:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A fairly safe selection for India, which is probably the way their Test team is going at the moment. The middle order of Dravid-Tendulkar-Ganguly-Laxman is still going strong, holding out any youngsters and Anil Kumble keeps plugging away with the ball. As it is, I don't think Dhoni would have been a good choice for the Test captaincy. Yes he is very attacking, and inspired beleif in his players, but I think the age and inexperience of the Twenty20 squad has a lot to do with it. Haven't seen him in ODIs so can't comment.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Sound decision, only real candidates for me were Laxman, Ganguly and Kumble.

Ganguly's batting has been good since he came back in so they dont want to risk that going pear-shaped by making him skipper again (although purely as skipper I reckon he was the best option), Laxman dosent appear to be the player he once was, one poor series looks like all it'll take to dislodge him sadly...so Kumble was the best choice really.

He deserves it, will be very interesting to see how he handles Australia.

Dissector

International Debutant
Excellent decision and really the only possible choice once Tendulkar said no. Kumble may be getting old but he is as commited as ever; something he showed with his maiden test century. He has at least a good couple of years to go and that will give the selectors time to see whether Dhoni is up to it both as captain and test player.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
As much as i am happy for Kumble i don't see this decision as a foresighted one simply because Kumble is 37 and he won't be around for long and that would mean soon a new captain would be required and constant change in captaincy isn't good, i would have liked Dhoni captaining the test side, agreed he is not an established test player yet but Indian cricket doesn't have too many options atm so they could have gambled with Dhoni.
Anyways good luck to Anil he deserves this honour, so i hope he does well.
Just like the tagline for 'American Beuaty', you need to look closer...

Kumble said something like that he will retire after he reaches 600 wickets, this will allow Dhoni around 8-15 mathces to move into Indian captain after that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I was really hoping this would happen and am very pleasantly surprised it did. He deserves it so much and the plan to let Dhoni find his straps in the shorter formats before becoming Test captain when Kumble retires is an excellent one.
I hope it's more a case of seeing whether Dhoni finds his straps as a Test cricketer, something he certainly hasn't done yet and is certainly not a given to do.

I also hope Kumble is not purely targeting 600 Test wickets, and that he'll go on to aim for 800 if he feels he can.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Handing Test captaincy to Kumble is retrogressive: Siddhu

New Delhi, Nov 9 (PTI) Criticising Anil Kumble's appointment as captain of the Indian Test cricket team, former players Ajay Jadeja and Navjot Singh Siddhu said the move was "retrogressive" and the selectors should have handed the reins to ODI skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni.
The 37-year-old leg-spinner was handed the reins of the Test team late last night after a lengthy deliberations during the second one-dayer between India and Pakistan in Mohali.

Jadeja felt the selectors should have given the Test captaincy to Dhoni as India had combined well under his leadership.

"I mean how often do you have a successful captain and a successful team? We have one for the past two-three months. There has been no negativity coming out from the team and everyone seems to look at Dhoni as a leader," Jadeja told NDTV.

"A senior player like Sachin Tendulkar accepts him as a leader and I don't think we should have changed anything at this moment. I mean when you have a leader like Dhoni, it is not appropriate to turn to somebody like Anil," he added.

Siddhu was even more scathing in his criticism and accused the selectors of ignoring the national team's interest by making the surprise appointment.

"Are they not playing with the interest of the country? When you appoint Kumble as captain of the team, it is nothing but a retrograde step. He is a stop-gap arrangement," he opined. PTI

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
What a universally popular decision this is. Amazing. Speaks volumes of the regard in which Kumble is held by one and all.

speedy

Cricket Spectator
Nice to see a bowler becoming captain for once. Every time we see a batsman become a captain and there goes his form. I think Kumble will get the respect of every one and together with the vast experience he has I am sure the appointment could just be the thing India needed.

However, India has been doing extremely well in the test arena which traditionally they are known to be rubbish. It will be a very tough act for Kumble to lead the team to as good as Dravid had done in the past with victories over England and West Indies.