• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thilan Samaraweera: a victim of black magic?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Sathasivam was a master. And the test players of that era has a very high regards for him. , Sathasivam hit 96 against commonwealth XI, which has Sobers, Worrel, and Ghulam Ahmed, out of a total of 150 on a minefield. And his double century against Tamil Nadu in less than 4 hours is also very well documented.

His tussels against Visitng teams is very well documented. Sobers, Ahmed, Worrel and few others definietly believed he was one of the best they had ever seen.

It's hard to judge what he would have done in test cricket. But I think he's good enough player to average 40+ in test cricket and a legend in ODI cricket.

He's possibly the best ever batsman not to be born in a test country.
There is no doubt in mind that he was the best batsmen outside Test cricket of that era and would have made most Test sides. But lets say he did average 40+ in Test cricket. From what he should against all Test touring sides and Test standard sides he probably would have averaged low 40s. Does that make him better then other batsmen in Sri Lankan's history that averaged 40 odd like Atapattu, Jayasuriya, Tillekerante and Samararweera. No it makes him on par.

Also we never saw what he was capable away from home. Even in tough conditions like when he scored his 96 out of 150, that was a massive turner. How would he cope on bouncy seamer friendly conditions. I back him to do ok, but I'm not sure he would do better then Ranatunga, Attapattu and co.

Aruna Tennekoon averaged 35 against similar standard Test touring sides and against better bowling attacks. He proabably in our top 10 maybe 15 batsmen. Really he another one par with Sathasivam. But remember the same way as he had other top quality batsmen around him.

Really it is Sangakkara, De Silva and Jayawardene and then massive banklet over the rest. There really isn't a standout outside those top three.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
There is no doubt in mind that he was the best batsmen outside Test cricket of that era and would have made most Test sides. But lets say he did average 40+ in Test cricket. From what he should against all Test touring sides and Test standard sides he probably would have averaged low 40s. Does that make him better then other batsmen in Sri Lankan's history that averaged 40 odd like Atapattu, Jayasuriya, Tillekerante and Samararweera. No it makes him on par.

Also we never saw what he was capable away from home. Even in tough conditions like when he scored his 96 out of 150, that was a massive turner. How would he cope on bouncy seamer friendly conditions. I back him to do ok, but I'm not sure he would do better then Ranatunga, Attapattu and co.

Aruna Tennekoon averaged 35 against similar standard Test touring sides and against better bowling attacks. He proabably in our top 10 maybe 15 batsmen. Really he another one par with Sathasivam. But remember the same way as he had other top quality batsmen around him.

Really it is Sangakkara, De Silva and Jayawardene and then massive banklet over the rest. There really isn't a standout outside those top three.
The fact is that Sathasivam excelled on foreign soil. His 96 made on a wet wicket. And compatriots mention about his cavllier type of hooking, pulling and cutting against fast bowlers. And he has done against the fastest in that era as well.

But the uncertainity is there though. But the fact that he was recognised more by his compatriots as a better player than Dilshan, Samaraweera or Jayawardane than latters compatriots. For me, that's a telling diffrence of class.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
And FC de Saram, and infact Tennakoon are regarded next best to Sathasivam. Neither lacked that approach that Sathasivam had, i.e. to take the bull by the horn when it comes to batting.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The fact is that Sathasivam excelled on foreign soil. His 96 made on a wet wicket. And compatriots mention about his cavllier type of hooking, pulling and cutting against fast bowlers. And he has done against the fastest in that era as well.

But the uncertainity is there though. But the fact that he was recognised more by his compatriots as a better player than Dilshan, Samaraweera or Jayawardane than latters compatriots. For me, that's a telling diffrence of class.
Pretty sure he never played a large number of matches outside the sub continent/Malaysia. There a lot of Sri Lankan batsmen over the years that have been very good at playing the hook and pull at home, but struggled with that shot on bouncy pitches.

Jayawardene recoginsed as much by his prior as Sathasivam, if not more. No doubt Dilshan and Samaraweera aren't. But tbh if they played in the same SL side, with basically no other players of Test class. They would be rated in similar standard.

Cus he was aggressive and had no other players of any high standard to compare next to doesn't make him better then guys that have performanced at similar standards over a larger period of matches.

Precambrian

Banned
Even Jayawardene is mediocre outside Asia. From whatever accounts I've read of Mahadevan Sathasivam, he was a man for all pitches.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I think this Test match is pretty much conclusive proof that the guy's given away bowling. For Sangakkara to bowl 10 overs, Jayawardene 7, Paranavitana 5 and Warnapura 9, and him none, that must be the end.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think this Test match is pretty much conclusive proof that the guy's given away bowling. For Sangakkara to bowl 10 overs, Jayawardene 7, Paranavitana 5 and Warnapura 9, and him none, that must be the end.
Yeah, he hasn't bowled in the last season or two of First Class cricket either.

bryce

International Regular
Yeah haha I was about to post something along the same lines, found it fairly staggering tbh

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Big deal. How about we wait and see until he scores a run outside of the subcontinent?

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
Considering SL arent going to play another test till july it would be foolish not to play him in some ODIs now

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Big deal. How about we wait and see until he scores a run outside of the subcontinent?
Same weight is not given when a Aussie, saffie, pom or a Kiwi fails in the subcontinet. No one mentions it. But when a sub continetal player plays poorly outside sc, pounce on it..

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Same weight is not given when a Aussie, saffie, pom or a Kiwi fails in the subcontinet. No one mentions it. But when a sub continetal player plays poorly outside sc, pounce on it..
What crap. Seriously. Despite the fact the majority of wickets on the subcontinent are easier to bat on (such as Pakistani wickets), you only have to look at the way Ponting is viewed to see that players are looked at differently if they don't perform in India or whatever.

Samaraweera will always be an FTB for mine until he makes runs on a pitch that actually does something. Excuse me if I don't appreciate tons against the West Indies of all teams.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
What crap. Seriously. Despite the fact the majority of wickets on the subcontinent are easier to bat on (such as Pakistani wickets), you only have to look at the way Ponting is viewed to see that players are looked at differently if they don't perform in India or whatever.

Samaraweera will always be an FTB for mine until he makes runs on a pitch that actually does something. Excuse me if I don't appreciate tons against the West Indies of all teams.
You are speaking bull crap. Australia has the flattest tracks of all, where batsman averages about 34 per wicket since 2000. India is the next with 33 odd. SL is one of the worst place for batsman to score with average of about 29 per wicket, with NZ and SAF. Better look at the figures before you put out your subjective crap.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Holes all through that argument Migara. Ever thought batsmens averages in Australia are higher because they've had Ponting, Hayden, Gilchrist, Waugh and Hussey dominating damn near anything? Likewise, batsmen in Sri Lanka average lower because they've had one of the most unplayable bowlers ever in their line-up.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer

Samara has played only 2 innings of note on difficult conditons, one was wellington 2005(when batting first), and other Lahore 2004 he made 100 out of 233,