Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 298

Thread: Thilan Samaraweera: a victim of black magic?

  1. #31
    International Captain Migara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colombo, SL
    Posts
    5,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazza_20 View Post
    Never saw them bat before but my Dad rates Anura Tennekoon and Michael Tissera as two of the best batsmen produced by Sri Lanka. Unfortunately, this was before Sri Lanka got Test status.
    Sorry to say that your dad is entirely wrong.

    SL's best batsmen (test and FC)

    Sangakkara
    De Silva
    Sathasivam
    --- day light ---
    Jayawardane
    Tillekaratne
    Ranatunga
    Samaraweera


    In ODIs

    Jayasuriya
    De SIlva
    -- daylight --
    Ranatunga
    Atapattu
    -- broader daylight--
    And the rest.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

    I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

  2. #32
    Cricketer Of The Year Xuhaib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    9,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Sorry to say that your dad is entirely wrong.

    SL's best batsmen (test and FC)

    Sangakkara
    De Silva
    Sathasivam
    --- day light ---
    Jayawardane
    Tillekaratne
    Ranatunga
    Samaraweera


    In ODIs

    Jayasuriya
    De SIlva
    -- daylight --
    Ranatunga
    Atapattu
    -- broader daylight--
    And the rest.
    Jayawardena ahead of De silva for me in tests.

  3. #33
    International Captain Migara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colombo, SL
    Posts
    5,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    Jayawardena ahead of De silva for me in tests.
    If you could remeber the era that de Silva used to take Imran, Wasim and Waqar by horns, and showed the way to belt reverse swing, you would have had different ideas of him.

  4. #34
    Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murali CG
    Posts
    16,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Sorry to say that your dad is entirely wrong.

    SL's best batsmen (test and FC)

    Sangakkara
    De Silva
    Sathasivam
    --- day light ---
    Jayawardane
    Tillekaratne
    Ranatunga
    Samaraweera
    Yet you have Sathasivam in your list. There is a lot of romance given to players from Sri Lanka pre Test Status. Though a lot of later guys still played ODIs and their records in that form weren't a class above the current lot. At best on par and many below the current guys. Then you have someone like Sathasivam who yeah averaged 40 odd against touring sides at home. But how is that different from Dilshan for averages 40 odd in Tests and 45 at home.

    I rate the guys that played prior to Test status as much as anyone. But I think sometimes romance gets in the way of true facts.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

    Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

    RIP WCC and CW Cricket

    Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS


  5. #35
    State 12th Man 0RI0N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Groom Lake
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    If you could remeber the era that de Silva used to take Imran, Wasim and Waqar by horns, and showed the way to belt reverse swing, you would have had different ideas of him.
    de silva then mahela.
    The 80's were a tough time to bat. There were great bowlers in most teams.Add to that SL was new to test cricket.De Silva didnt give a damn about reputation,he took them all on imran,wasim,kapil.the whole lot.They didnt call him Mad Max for nothing.

    Favourite Aravinda innings:WC Semi Final vs India.

  6. #36
    International Captain Migara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colombo, SL
    Posts
    5,760
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    Yet you have Sathasivam in your list. There is a lot of romance given to players from Sri Lanka pre Test Status. Though a lot of later guys still played ODIs and their records in that form weren't a class above the current lot. At best on par and many below the current guys. Then you have someone like Sathasivam who yeah averaged 40 odd against touring sides at home. But how is that different from Dilshan for averages 40 odd in Tests and 45 at home.

    I rate the guys that played prior to Test status as much as anyone. But I think sometimes romance gets in the way of true facts.
    Sathasivam was a master. And the test players of that era has a very high regards for him. , Sathasivam hit 96 against commonwealth XI, which has Sobers, Worrel, and Ghulam Ahmed, out of a total of 150 on a minefield. And his double century against Tamil Nadu in less than 4 hours is also very well documented.

    His tussels against Visitng teams is very well documented. Sobers, Ahmed, Worrel and few others definietly believed he was one of the best they had ever seen.

    It's hard to judge what he would have done in test cricket. But I think he's good enough player to average 40+ in test cricket and a legend in ODI cricket.

    He's possibly the best ever batsman not to be born in a test country.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358
    Wow thread.

    Was about to post a similar thread on Samara, but couldn't have dreamt of the first post.

  8. #38
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Precambrian View Post
    Wow thread.

    Was about to post a similar thread on Samara, but couldn't have dreamt of the first post.
    Especially since I posted it 18 months ago when he wasn't even in the team.
    ~ Cribbage ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Sathasivam was a master. And the test players of that era has a very high regards for him. , Sathasivam hit 96 against commonwealth XI, which has Sobers, Worrel, and Ghulam Ahmed, out of a total of 150 on a minefield. And his double century against Tamil Nadu in less than 4 hours is also very well documented.

    His tussels against Visitng teams is very well documented. Sobers, Ahmed, Worrel and few others definietly believed he was one of the best they had ever seen.

    It's hard to judge what he would have done in test cricket. But I think he's good enough player to average 40+ in test cricket and a legend in ODI cricket.

    He's possibly the best ever batsman not to be born in a test country.
    So true. t's real pity he;s hardly talked about in recent days. Would have been a top class test performer in any country.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Especially since I posted it 18 months ago when he wasn't even in the team.
    Makes it all the more PEWSY.

  11. #41
    Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murali CG
    Posts
    16,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Sathasivam was a master. And the test players of that era has a very high regards for him. , Sathasivam hit 96 against commonwealth XI, which has Sobers, Worrel, and Ghulam Ahmed, out of a total of 150 on a minefield. And his double century against Tamil Nadu in less than 4 hours is also very well documented.

    His tussels against Visitng teams is very well documented. Sobers, Ahmed, Worrel and few others definietly believed he was one of the best they had ever seen.

    It's hard to judge what he would have done in test cricket. But I think he's good enough player to average 40+ in test cricket and a legend in ODI cricket.

    He's possibly the best ever batsman not to be born in a test country.
    There is no doubt in mind that he was the best batsmen outside Test cricket of that era and would have made most Test sides. But lets say he did average 40+ in Test cricket. From what he should against all Test touring sides and Test standard sides he probably would have averaged low 40s. Does that make him better then other batsmen in Sri Lankan's history that averaged 40 odd like Atapattu, Jayasuriya, Tillekerante and Samararweera. No it makes him on par.

    Also we never saw what he was capable away from home. Even in tough conditions like when he scored his 96 out of 150, that was a massive turner. How would he cope on bouncy seamer friendly conditions. I back him to do ok, but I'm not sure he would do better then Ranatunga, Attapattu and co.

    Aruna Tennekoon averaged 35 against similar standard Test touring sides and against better bowling attacks. He proabably in our top 10 maybe 15 batsmen. Really he another one par with Sathasivam. But remember the same way as he had other top quality batsmen around him.

    Really it is Sangakkara, De Silva and Jayawardene and then massive banklet over the rest. There really isn't a standout outside those top three.

  12. #42
    International Captain Migara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colombo, SL
    Posts
    5,760
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    There is no doubt in mind that he was the best batsmen outside Test cricket of that era and would have made most Test sides. But lets say he did average 40+ in Test cricket. From what he should against all Test touring sides and Test standard sides he probably would have averaged low 40s. Does that make him better then other batsmen in Sri Lankan's history that averaged 40 odd like Atapattu, Jayasuriya, Tillekerante and Samararweera. No it makes him on par.

    Also we never saw what he was capable away from home. Even in tough conditions like when he scored his 96 out of 150, that was a massive turner. How would he cope on bouncy seamer friendly conditions. I back him to do ok, but I'm not sure he would do better then Ranatunga, Attapattu and co.

    Aruna Tennekoon averaged 35 against similar standard Test touring sides and against better bowling attacks. He proabably in our top 10 maybe 15 batsmen. Really he another one par with Sathasivam. But remember the same way as he had other top quality batsmen around him.

    Really it is Sangakkara, De Silva and Jayawardene and then massive banklet over the rest. There really isn't a standout outside those top three.
    The fact is that Sathasivam excelled on foreign soil. His 96 made on a wet wicket. And compatriots mention about his cavllier type of hooking, pulling and cutting against fast bowlers. And he has done against the fastest in that era as well.

    But the uncertainity is there though. But the fact that he was recognised more by his compatriots as a better player than Dilshan, Samaraweera or Jayawardane than latters compatriots. For me, that's a telling diffrence of class.

  13. #43
    International Captain Migara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colombo, SL
    Posts
    5,760
    And FC de Saram, and infact Tennakoon are regarded next best to Sathasivam. Neither lacked that approach that Sathasivam had, i.e. to take the bull by the horn when it comes to batting.

  14. #44
    Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murali CG
    Posts
    16,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    The fact is that Sathasivam excelled on foreign soil. His 96 made on a wet wicket. And compatriots mention about his cavllier type of hooking, pulling and cutting against fast bowlers. And he has done against the fastest in that era as well.

    But the uncertainity is there though. But the fact that he was recognised more by his compatriots as a better player than Dilshan, Samaraweera or Jayawardane than latters compatriots. For me, that's a telling diffrence of class.
    Pretty sure he never played a large number of matches outside the sub continent/Malaysia. There a lot of Sri Lankan batsmen over the years that have been very good at playing the hook and pull at home, but struggled with that shot on bouncy pitches.

    Jayawardene recoginsed as much by his prior as Sathasivam, if not more. No doubt Dilshan and Samaraweera aren't. But tbh if they played in the same SL side, with basically no other players of Test class. They would be rated in similar standard.

    Cus he was aggressive and had no other players of any high standard to compare next to doesn't make him better then guys that have performanced at similar standards over a larger period of matches.

  15. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358
    Even Jayawardene is mediocre outside Asia. From whatever accounts I've read of Mahadevan Sathasivam, he was a man for all pitches.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Garry Sobers-A master of black magic?
    By J.J.B.Lewis in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 737
    Last Post: 26-10-2010, 05:35 AM
  2. Animal Magic
    By stumpski in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-07-2007, 06:53 PM
  3. Is the Hussey magic over?
    By pup11 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 01-04-2007, 09:56 PM
  4. Who will be victim 600?
    By Craig in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 11-08-2005, 02:35 PM
  5. Magic of the Cup
    By superkingdave in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-01-2005, 05:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •