• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thilan Samaraweera: a victim of black magic?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, for touring batsman because they have to face Murali.
I am interested to see why it is so difficult for the home batsmen too, unlike in Australia where home batsmen average 40+. looking forwards for your explanation.

No need to get your undies in a bunch, princess. I don't need a dictionary to outsmart you.
I can do this much with my third language. Lets see what you can do with your second and third languages. Don't be a ******. My first language is not Emglish and no one will care if i make a mistake, unlike you, whose first language is English.

Never heard of him
Good. at least do a search on him and see what kind of a player he was. Older members of this forum will also say that he was the best player of spin in last 30 years. your cricketing expriance is limited. just admit it before trying to post like a pundit..
Are you trying to say his a better bat then Kevin Pietersen because he most likely averages 65 in first-class on flat subcontient decks?
He was light years better than Pietersen when came to playing spin. He did it on Indian dustbowls against Warne, Murali and Mushtaq Ahmed. Unlike Pietersen, he dominated spinners every time he played. If you want a poor man's example from current players, see how Virender Sehwag plays spin.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
I am interested to see why it is so difficult for the home batsmen too, unlike in Australia where home batsmen average 40+. looking forwards for your explanation.

I can do this much with my third language. Lets see what you can do with your second and third languages. Don't be a ******. My first language is not Emglish and no one will care if i make a mistake, unlike you, whose first language is English.

Good. at least do a search on him and see what kind of a player he was. Older members of this forum will also say that he was the best player of spin in last 30 years. your cricketing expriance is limited. just admit it before trying to post like a pundit..
He was light years better than Pietersen when came to playing spin. He did it on Indian dustbowls against Warne, Murali and Mushtaq Ahmed. Unlike Pietersen, he dominated spinners every time he played. If you want a poor man's example from current players, see how Virender Sehwag plays spin.
/
Surely only BC LARA can rate as best player of spin in the last 30yrs.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Surely only BC LARA can rate as best player of spin in the last 30yrs.
I would rate him the third, behind Sidhu and Azhar. Miandad was also bloody impressive against spin. not to forget Ganguly and tendulkar also has a fair share at the title

pasag

RTDAS
As I said to wfdu_ben91, cut it out or face a ban.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Cricinfo - 1st Test: Sri Lanka v South Africa at Colombo (SSC), Jul 27-31, 2006

From what I can recall, I don't remember seeing a 600+ run partnership on Australia soil against one of the most formidable teams in world cricket - South Africa. I highly doubt a 600 run partnership would occur outside the subcontient nowadays. This was against Dale Steyn and Makhaya Ntini & Andre Nel when they were at their peak.

Really difficult? The fact that South Africa were able to score over 400 runs in the last innings of the match, without Smith or Kallis against Murali, furthermore demonstrates the flattest of Sri Lankan pitches.

Migara said:
I doubt Murali or Warne would agree with you.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As much as I think Jehan Mubarak is a joke, it the runs that he scores away from Sri Lanka for Sri Lanka A that gives him a half decent average. He averages in the low 30s in Sri Lankan for Colombo CC. Yet from majority of away matches for Sri Lanka A he averages close to 40. If he played on more batter friendly tracks, unlike the Sri Lankan pitches he would have a lot better average.

Pretty much gives you a perfect example of how poor Sri Lankan pitches are.

Code:
Team Matches Inns Not Out Runs HS Ave 100 50 
Colombo Cricket Club 45 76 6 2163 169   30.90  4 13 
Sri Lanka A 37 67 7 2314 140   38.56  2 16
The pitches used for tests do tend to be better than the ones used for FC matches though, so that's not the best measure going around.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The pitches used for tests do tend to be better than the ones used for FC matches though, so that's not the best measure going around.
Apart from the Colombo grounds, the rest as as bowler friendly (spinner friendly) as first class grounds. Galle and Kandy spin square from day one and Dumbulla is generally always has bit too much life (well compared to other International grounds).

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I would rate him the third, behind Sidhu and Azhar. Miandad was also bloody impressive against spin. not to forget Ganguly and tendulkar also has a fair share at the title
What about Flower? He owned the spinners.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
That, that Navjot Indian batsman was the best player of spin? That's why he ranked Tendulkar as the best batsman he'd ever bowled to.
Do you always believe those personal opinions. Chaminda and Manee already agreed with me because they have seen Sidhu in action.

Since you value personal opinions so much this is what cricinfo says about Sidhu.

he could also be a marauding strokeplayer who loved tearing spinners apart.
And his ruthlessness against spinners was legion. He cracked eight sixes in 124 against Sri Lanka - Muralitharan and all - in 1993-94, and hammered four fifties in five innings against the Australians in 1997-98, singling out Shane Warne for a personalised spanking.
Source

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Do you always believe those personal opinions. Chaminda and Manee already agreed with me because they have seen Sidhu in action.
Sidhu Vs Warne would often be carnage like no other. This is not to say that he is the greatest complete batsman but on his day against spinners, he is and will be unmatched.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Same here. Was brutal against spin, quality or not. Loved watching him bat.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Now let's see wfdu_ben91's arguments one by one.

1. Sangakkara is a FTB - proven wrong
2. Pietersen is in the same class as Tendulkar, Lara and Ponting - all of us know it's BS
3. Sri Lankan Tracks are flattest of all. Proven with stats that it's one of the most batsman un friendly places
4. Pietersen is one of the best players of spin - of course can be pardoned because he has not seen Sidhu and Azhar.

So mate, you have no where to go.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, how would you rate him with the other names you mentioned?
I would put him in top 20 for sure. He is in a separate class with dogged players like Dravid, Kallis, Hashan Tillekaratne and Steve Waugh who showed remarkable concentration and waited ages for that loose ball without making mistakes.

Every body like to see batsman comedown the track to the spinners and hoisting them straight, rather than nudging, sweeping, paddling or late cutting. But, the second category is successful as the first lot.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Now let's see wfdu_ben91's arguments one by one.

1. Sangakkara is a FTB - proven wrong
2. Pietersen is in the same class as Tendulkar, Lara and Ponting - all of us know it's BS
3. Sri Lankan Tracks are flattest of all. Proven with stats that it's one of the most batsman un friendly places
4. Pietersen is one of the best players of spin - of course can be pardoned because he has not seen Sidhu and Azhar.

So mate, you have no where to go.
1. Sangakkara isn't a flat track bully but Jayawardene is but Sangakkara certainly isn't as special as what his made out to be. Out of 80 Tests, only 24 have been played outside the subcontient.
2. Yes he is. Only Lara & Tendulkar have played both Warne & McGrath in a similar vain to what Pietersen has. Unlike most other batsman that average 50, Pietersen reserves his runs for the better opposition rather then the weaker. Overall Pietersen is a better batsman then anyone from the subcontient barring Tendulkar & Dravid.
3. I said subcontient pitches as a whole were favourable to subcontient batsman because they are all very much similar. Subcontient players play 80% of their career in the subcontient, so obviously their overall records won't be affected by their statistics outside the subcontient. Funny how you didn't argue against the Jaya/Sanga partnership, eh? Exploited or what?
4. No, you made out that Pietersen was like an elephant in dancing shoes against spin, which I argued against because it is rubbish. If he was such a muppet then he wouldn't of reverse-swept Murali for 6? You took my comments out of context because I always maintained that Pietersen was one of the better overall batsman, so you started throwing random names of batsman that play spin very well.