• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Better recognition for spinners???

anoop4real

U19 12th Man
Hey we now have Shane Warne - M.Muralitharam trophy for the series played between Australia & Srilanka...which is a better recognition to those world class spinners...IMO India should also name a Trophy in the name of some of her great spinners like Vinoo Mankad, S. Venkataraghavan, Erappali Prasanna etc....so that spinners will get the recognition in a more higher level :)

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No offence, but if you're talking about great Indian spinners and fail to mention the likes of Bishan Bedi, Anil Kumble, Bhagwat Chandrasekhar and Subhash Gupte then you might do well to brush up on your knowledge a touch.

anoop4real

U19 12th Man
No offence, but if you're talking about great Indian spinners and fail to mention the likes of Bishan Bedi, Anil Kumble, Bhagwat Chandrasekhar and Subhash Gupte then you might do well to brush up on your knowledge a touch.
Hey man sorry for not mentioning those names.....I just took some names that came first in my mind... I havent forgotten spinners like Subhash Gupte and B.S.Bedi:)

skipper

School Boy/Girl Captain
What about sponsorships? :unsure:

It is great to see trophies named after legends but will the money savvy BCCI do that? 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Surely India-Pakistan should have a Named Trophy?

Hey - how about the Bedi-Murali Trophy for India-Sri Lanka? :ph34r:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And best recognition for spinners would be to make pitches that crumble on days four and five, and to play on grounds larger than postage stamps.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
I'm not sure how strong this correlation is, but I've noticed that in batsmen dominated games, bowelrs are now getting the MOTM - Lee and Steyn and Denton in the Pura Cup.

Perm

I'm not sure how strong this correlation is, but I've noticed that in batsmen dominated games, bowelrs are now getting the MOTM - Lee and Steyn and Denton in the Pura Cup.
I daresay it's probably because impressive bowling performances are harder to acheive than scoring a big century on a flat pitch.

biased indian

International Coach
As far as india pak goes i think the test series should be named.......

Khan-Kapil......both are due for some recog......

shortpitched713

International Captain
I daresay it's probably because impressive bowling performances are harder to acheive than scoring a big century on a flat pitch.
Flat pitch or no, Lee clearly made a bigger contribution to the win than the next most worthy candidate, Clarke.

Perm

Flat pitch or no, Lee clearly made a bigger contribution to the win than the next most worthy candidate, Clarke.
Indeed. Was just talking about a general game situation. As it is, taking wickets is harder than scoring runs, so bowlers should get more recognition for a good performance.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
And perhaps you could brush up on your people skills. Don't you think he used etc for a reason?

Anyway, onto the thread - I like the Warne-Muralitharan one as it represents the two great spinners of our era.

Speaking of Murali, is there any feasible reason why the Australian papers seem to spell his name "Muthiah Muralidaran"?

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
And perhaps you could brush up on your people skills. Don't you think he used etc for a reason?

Anyway, onto the thread - I like the Warne-Muralitharan one as it represents the two great spinners of our era.

Speaking of Murali, is there any feasible reason why the Australian papers seem to spell his name "Muthiah Muralidaran"?
I heard something from O'Donnell on the cricket show that it is how Murali says it is spelled - so they will spell it as such.

I guess Muralitharan is similar to how Valeri Bojinov's last name isn't actually Bojinov (couldn't think of any other example :laugh: ).

I was interested, though, to see that C9 spell Samaraweera's Christian name as Tilan as opposed to Thilan.

Last edited: