• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar declines captaincy

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Who were those that were saying Tendulkar and Ganguly were ganging up on Dravid, in order to get rid of his captaincy and take control themselves?

Bloody conspiracy theorists I swear.

I wholly respect Sachin's decision. He's had it twice, there's really no need for him to have it again.

pup11

International Coach
This is probably one of the wisest things Sachin would ever do in his life, i think he gets criticised enough for his batting nowadays and last thing he wanted was being blasted apart for poor captaincy.
Now i think the only option left is Dhoni, whether that's a good thing or a bad thing that only time will tell!

adharcric

International Coach
Oh dear. Dhoni as captain could be exciting or it could be devastating. Ganguly, please ...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Who were those that were saying Tendulkar and Ganguly were ganging up on Dravid, in order to get rid of his captaincy and take control themselves?

I wholly respect Sachin's decision. He's had it twice, there's really no need for him to have it again.

I am not so sure. You said it was wrong on Dravid when he gave up captaincy because of the lack of captaincy options in the team. Now, isn't Sachin doing the same thing? He is basically declining captaincy at a time when there are no other potential leaders HAVING been the vice-captain in the last test series.

I think there is just a hint of double standards there on ur part, Jono.

AFAIC, both Dravid and Sachin have gone with the soft options here recently. Not that I find too much wrong with either of their moves though. We need both of them as batsmen more than we need them as captains and I did feel that Dhoni was gonna end up the captain whether or not he proved himself to be better than the other keeper batsmen in India. So I am not too fussed about this.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

I am not so sure. You said it was wrong on Dravid when he gave up captaincy because of the lack of captaincy options in the team. Now, isn't Sachin doing the same thing? He is basically declining captaincy at a time when there are no other potential leaders HAVING been the vice-captain in the last test series.

AFAIC, both Dravid and Sachin have gone with the soft options here recently. Not that I find too much wrong with either of their moves though. We need both of them as batsmen more than we need them as captains and I did feel that Dhoni was gonna end up the captain whether or not he proved himself to be better than the other keeper batsmen in India. So I am not too fussed about this.

jammay123

State 12th Man
i reckon that they will pick dhoni. i am not sure sachin made the right desicion because their is no other viable option apart from ganguly and they cant go back their can they?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Good Decision by Tendulkar. Now give the captaincy to Dhoni, please. He has shown that he can handle it.

Ganguly - Hell No.

shortpitched713

International Captain
This is probably one of the wisest things Sachin would ever do in his life, i think he gets criticised enough for his batting nowadays and last thing he wanted was being blasted apart for poor captaincy.
Now i think the only option left is Dhoni, whether that's a good thing or a bad thing that only time will tell!
You don't play cricket to avoid criticism, mate. Thats wholly the wrong mentality to look at it with.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You're utterly insane if you don't want to avoid criticism, however.

Don't see how anyone would want to do anything that encouraged it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

TBH, I don't blame either in the slightest for going with the "soft" options. There's a hell of a lot - obviously - of "the chance to lead your country is wonderful" and all that that's lovely, but too often the simple fact of the matter is overlooked that playing is infinitely more important than leading.

And even if your playing is not being affected by captaincy, so long as people can think it is that's cause for concern.

shortpitched713

International Captain
You're utterly insane if you don't want to avoid criticism, however.

Don't see how anyone would want to do anything that encouraged it.
You play international cricket to help your country win. Anything and everything else is just window dressing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And if you help your country win countless hundreds will still find a way to criticise you.

And he who says "I don't care, my own opinion of myself is all that matters to me" is a) damn rare and b) kidding no-one.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Kumble?

Beyond "it just doesnt sound right" has any one come up with a reason to not have Kumble as the captain for a year or so? Gives Dhoni or any one else time to be groomed into the role.

Kumble has: the respect of his peers, the credentials including place in team and captaining at the first class level (Karnataka state Ranji team, includes Dravid), is
a good cricketing brain and has courage and perseverance in unquestionable quantity.

Will probably be more the cerebral than the emotive type of leader (maybe why there
is the "doesnt sound right" popular opinion) and though he is almost 37 his bowling and
batting in the last 2 years has pretty much been as good as it has ever been (unlike some other seniors).

In fact his overseas bowling in the last 5 years is probably better than it was in the first 12 years. (Seems that way, could be wrong).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And with that in mind, one should find that avoidance of criticism really is a fruitless exercise.
Obviously, but one can never, ever expect anyone to do something that they know will have a substantial chance of increasing already ridiculous amounts of flak they receive from countless quarters.

Unless they're a sadist like Nasser Hussain was so close to being.

Minimising criticism, for most sensible-minded people, is a must.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Beyond "it just doesnt sound right" has any one come up with a reason to not have Kumble as the captain for a year or so? Gives Dhoni or any one else time to be groomed into the role.

Kumble has: the respect of his peers, the credentials including place in team and captaining at the first class level (Karnataka state Ranji team, includes Dravid), is
a good cricketing brain and has courage and perseverance in unquestionable quantity.

Will probably be more the cerebral than the emotive type of leader (maybe why there
is the "doesnt sound right" popular opinion) and though he is almost 37 his bowling and
batting in the last 2 years has pretty much been as good as it has ever been (unlike some other seniors).

In fact his overseas bowling in the last 5 years is probably better than it was in the first 12 years. (Seems that way, could be wrong).
AW completely TBH. Seems madness that Kumble should not be considered, and considered overwhelming favourite.