Thread: Cricket Nations and Rankings

U19 Cricketer

Cricket Nations and Rankings

I was just have a wonder of how the ICC ranks the lower nations of cricket, and after looking at their web-site its clear that Cricket Nations are divided into 3 categories:

1 - Full Members - Test Playing Nations
    2 - Associate Members - Teams which play in the ICC Trophy/WC Qualifying Tournament
    3 - Affiliate Members - Other Nations which play cricket according to the laws of the ICC

Now what i'm still unclear on is:

How does a team go from Affiliate Members to Associate Member??

Do Affiliate Members nations play "international" matches against each other??

If two associate members national teams played each other in a 4-day match or 1-day match, is that classes as a FC match or List A match??

If a full members provincial team plays against an associate members national team, is that classed as a FC match or List A Match??

In the ICC Trophy tournament, the teams were ranked into division 1 and 2, how did they ICC decide these rankings??

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Non-Test Nations are one of my interests, so here goes...

How does a team go from Affiliate Members to Associate Member?
    Application

Do Affiliate Members nations play "international" matches against each other??
    Yes. Daniel Keulder, Namibia's captain, hit 200+ in a 3-day game against Italy

If two associate members national teams played each other in a 4-day match or 1-day match, is that classes as a FC match or List A match??
    Nope.

If a full members provincial team plays against an associate members national team, is that classed as a FC match or List A Match??
    Not sure, I think both teams in a game need to have FC/List A status, there's a full list on CricInfo, will check later when my PC stops dying

In the ICC Trophy tournament, the teams were ranked into division 1 and 2, how did they ICC decide these rankings??
    Previous performances I think, and how well they expected them to perform (more games between high quality opponents was the plan... Didn't work, Namibia were ranked 13...
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

U19 Cricketer
    I didn't think that when associate national teams play each other they were classed as FC or LA. But i think that is abit stupid that say, if they play in the World Cup it counts as a full one day international. but if they play in a tour match its not even a List A game.

CAn you also give us the address on cricinfo where it has List A and FC teams.

Rik
    Originally posted by hourn
    I didn't think that when associate national teams play each other they were classed as FC or LA. But i think that is abit stupid that say, if they play in the World Cup it counts as a full one day international. but if they play in a tour match its not even a List A game.

CAn you also give us the address on cricinfo where it has List A and FC teams.
    I don't know the deal now but in 1996 Ireland and Scotland played a match and Scotland's George Salmond got 181 or something. That was classed as a FC Innings.
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Yes, Ireland vs Scotland has historically been given first class status, but it is now a one day game I think.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    I think that more Interaction should be made bettwen the test playing Counties and Non-test Playing Counties

For example Australia A could play Fiji, Namibia and other counties ok there will thrash them but it will help the development of these Counties

Rik
    Originally posted by chris.hinton
    I think that more Interaction should be made bettwen the test playing Counties and Non-test Playing Counties

For example Australia A could play Fiji, Namibia and other counties ok there will thrash them but it will help the development of these Counties
    True! Australia went to Kenya with another country (who was it?) and I'm sure that helped Kenya. It would help show that the world cares about Cricket wherever it's played.

Thread Information