Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Africa Threaten England Tour

Rik

South Africa Threaten England Tour

South Africa are threatening not to tour england this summer because of security concerns.

In response to England's stance on their World Cup match in Harare, Untited Cricket Board of South Africa president Percy Sonn said: "There are a lot of problems in England. We will have to look at their secuirty as well - we will not send our boys into a place we consider to be unsafe"

Yeah like what? Lack of sun? Too much rain? It seems pretty rich coming from a country which has the honour of Johannesburg having the highest crime rate in the world!

Also if they don't tour they will really upset Langeveldt
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Yeah like what? Lack of sun? Too much rain? It seems pretty rich coming from a country which has the honour of Johannesburg having the highest crime rate in the world!
    Well notwithstanding that this is probably brinkmanship, England has suddenly become a target for a terrorist attack with your alliance with the US and of course there was the ricin found recently.

Considering the current political climate and England's stance on the 'War on Terror', its a question which has to be asked. Sure, London is probably relatively safe but it's far from being TOTALLY safe right now and as soon as the coalition attacks Iraq in March, well the safety question will be more pointed. Remember; just because it hasn't happen to England yet doesn't mean it won't. Need I remind you Sept 11th. I bet the people in NY and America thought THEY were totally safe too.............of course it was a mistaken belief. And that being the case, maybe your belief is also mistaken somewhat? Who knows.

Your incredulity is mirrored by the people of Nairobi, I'd bet. I'd say THEY can't understand why another country wouldn't want to tour their very modern city.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Rik
    You have a point but I already thought of that and came to the conclusion it's probably just South Africa trying to get back at England for forfitting their game against Zimbabwe. The problem is Zimbabwe is being run by a facist dictator...England is being run by a clown. There is a distinct difference.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    You have a point but I already thought of that and came to the conclusion it's probably just South Africa trying to get back at England for forfitting their game against Zimbabwe.
    Well I already said that in my first sentence.

Either way, I've in read several places about the rise in violent crime in England ever since you guys instituted tough gun laws a few years ago. The crime rate in Australia has gone in a similar direction, too.

So overall, London's crime rate is in the vicinity of some of the worst places. Where Jo'burg leads the way is in GUN deaths. Surely, no-one will ever top that.

Rik
    Originally posted by Top_Cat
    Well I already said that in my first sentence.

Either way, I've in read several places about the rise in violent crime in England ever since you guys instituted tough gun laws a few years ago. The crime rate in Australia has gone in a similar direction, too.

So overall, London's crime rate is in the vicinity of some of the worst places. Where Jo'burg leads the way is in GUN deaths. Surely, no-one will ever top that.
    London is pretty bad in the place I used to live, Clapham/Brixton. But that is nowhere near the grounds and it's just the South African board being petty now. Although there have been some murders lately there is a stable political situation and it's hard to see anyone sending death threats to touring teams. I'm sorry but it's just not done round here. If I was the ECB I would just tell the South African board to grow up.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Wonder what the Deputy Chief of Police In South Afrcia would say about this (after he laughed off the death threats)
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Rik
    Originally posted by marc71178
    Wonder what the Deputy Chief of Police In South Afrcia would say about this (after he laughed off the death threats)
    I've never seen anyone laugh off a death threat before. It doesn't matter if you recieve them all the time, you still follow them up.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    I guess you never saw the press conference with him?

Rik
    Originally posted by marc71178
    I guess you never saw the press conference with him?
    What I said actually showed that I had seen the press conference...that's why I said...and I quote: "I've never seen anyone laugh off a death threat before"

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Just crossed wires I think...

You're both agreeing, just Rik meant to say "I'd never seen..."
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    I think that we successfully predicted this yesterday.

Oh well. Maybe we can play a couple of series against Canada and Holland.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Pinball Champion!

Re: South Africa Threaten England Tour

Well if you havent noticed, SA do not give a monkeys about what happens in Zimbabwe. White farmer? What white farmer!??
    England will not play in Zimbabwe so SA lose money because Zim might pull out from the WC. SA decide to play tit for tat so they threaten not to go to England due to the money they may lose.
    Trust me, I dont think this is a security issue. I dont think Andrew Hall who survived a shooting in Joburg would have any worries about going to Nottingham or Lords. (And yes Joburg is statistically the most dangerous place outside a warzone, but its still beautiful!)
    I have lost a lot of respect for guys like Ngconde Balfour and Percy Sonn, who continuously talk a load of c***. If they had their way, well I wont comment on what would happen or it might offend some people....
    Oh well the guys keep playing entertaining cricket and they will rise above all this...Im confident they will tour England..

Originally posted by Rik
    South Africa are threatening not to tour england this summer because of security concerns.

In response to England's stance on their World Cup match in Harare, Untited Cricket Board of South Africa president Percy Sonn said: "There are a lot of problems in England. We will have to look at their secuirty as well - we will not send our boys into a place we consider to be unsafe"

Also if they don't tour they will really upset Langeveldt
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

U19 Vice-Captain
    They'll probably end up touring.
    And England may well end up getting away with not playing Zimbabwe.

Is there any chance England changes mind and goes to Zimbabwe?

Pinball Champion!
    Originally posted by full_length
    They'll probably end up touring.
    And England may well end up getting away with not playing Zimbabwe.

Is there any chance England changes mind and goes to Zimbabwe?

No England definitely wont be going to Zim, pity because a lot of work went into the Harare Sports club, and the ground looked a picture last time I saw it...

Rik
    Originally posted by Langeveldt
    No England definitely wont be going to Zim, pity because a lot of work went into the Harare Sports club, and the ground looked a picture last time I saw it...
    Yeah they said they love playing at Harare, it is indeed a lovely ground and the home of WCC's Mashonaland...managed by...ME! 8D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information