• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa Threaten England Tour

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
One thing...if South Africa and Zimbabwe refused to tour England in the summer what would happen? England is not considered a dangerous country by the ICC. What would happen? Would the touring teams be forced to play? Would they end up forfitting the series? If the latter is true then England could gain 2 series wins without doing a thing...

I know the ICC feel Zimbabwe is a safe place, but the current politicial climate does not appear to agree with that view. Also England has had no problem of late and if England loose points by boycotting the match against Zimbabwe if the ICC Panel decide that it is safe enough to play in Zimbabwe, I would hope Zimbabwe and South Africa are treated just as harshly, if not more, if they refuse to tour England on "security concerns."

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
One thing...if South Africa and Zimbabwe refused to tour England in the summer what would happen? England is not considered a dangerous country by the ICC. What would happen? Would the touring teams be forced to play? Would they end up forfitting the series? If the latter is true then England could gain 2 series wins without doing a thing...

I know the ICC feel Zimbabwe is a safe place, but the current politicial climate does not appear to agree with that view. Also England has had no problem of late and if England loose points by boycotting the match against Zimbabwe if the ICC Panel decide that it is safe enough to play in Zimbabwe, I would hope Zimbabwe and South Africa are treated just as harshly, if not more, if they refuse to tour England because of "security concerns."

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's all down to 'perceived threats'.

What kind of message do the 'emergencies' at Gatwick, Heathrow, Leeds/Bradford (today), the closure of roads around Stansted and the like send to the world?

I, for one, would not blame ANYONE under the circumstances for deciding to give England a miss for a while.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
It's all down to 'perceived threats'.

What kind of message do the 'emergencies' at Gatwick, Heathrow, Leeds/Bradford (today), the closure of roads around Stansted and the like send to the world?

I, for one, would not blame ANYONE under the circumstances for deciding to give England a miss for a while.
These threats won't last long. Anyway, they have nothing to do with Cricket. We might end up having Zimbabwe and South Africa and Pakistan refusing to tour because of a war with Iraq the way this is going...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
These threats won't last long. Anyway, they have nothing to do with Cricket. We might end up having Zimbabwe and South Africa and Pakistan refusing to tour because of a war with Iraq the way this is going...
And neither does the situation in Zimbabwe. It has everything to do with safety, either
a) real
or
b) perceived.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
And neither does the situation in Zimbabwe. It has everything to do with safety, either
a) real
or
b) perceived.
Zimbabwe's problem is Mugabe, and he doesn't look like he's going to go in a hurry...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Rik said:
Zimbabwe's problem is Mugabe, and he doesn't look like he's going to go in a hurry...
Well he is 78 or something like that, and I hope he goes so they can start rebuilding Zimbabwe.

He cant have long to go....

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:
Well he is 78 or something like that, and I hope he goes so they can start rebuilding Zimbabwe.

He cant have long to go....
We can only hope

PY

International Coach
full_length said:
If the English think that comparing the security scenario in England and Zimbabwe is an insult to them, they can go hang
"hang"??can you justify that comment please f_l, don't see how the UK can be compared to Zimbabwe when it comes to safety of touring cricketers

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
PROUD+ENGLISH said:
"hang"??can you justify that comment please f_l, don't see how the UK can be compared to Zimbabwe when it comes to safety of touring cricketers
Sheesh I didn't notice that.

Yes...hang, wouldn't you like to explain that?

Also have you ever been to the UK? I've lived here for 19 years...nearly all my life, and I've never even come close to being blown up, murdered because of my beliefs or mixed up in a rigged election. England and Zimbabwe are totally different places, one is a decent place to live if a bit cold and wet, the other is a politicial hotspot with a mad racist dictator in charge...guess which is which...
Also that police chief, frankly to laugh at any death threat, however often you get them, is insensitive, and quite worrying if you ask me. I certianly wouldn't want him running the police force in my country...