Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Test World Championship

Cricket Spectator

Test World Championship

It is ridiculous that cricket does not have a world cup in what everyone agrees is the highest form of the game - test cricket. It could be easily arranged if there was enough political will. Here is one suggestion. For the sake of argument, starting May 2009.
    1. Qualifying competition: matches based on ICC rankings (1 v 8, 2 v 7, 3 v 6, 4 v 5).
    Preliminary Rnd. (8 v 9): WI v Bang (3T/May-June 09), Bang v WI (3T/Sept 09)
    So Eng v Pak (3T/June-Jly 09), Pak v Eng (3T/Oct 09)
    SL v SA (3T/Aug 09), SA v SL (3T/Jan-Feb 2010)
    Ind v NZ (3T/Oct-Nov 09) NZ v Ind (3T/Jan-Feb 2010)
    Aus v WI (3T/Nov-Dec 09) WI v Aus (3T/Mar-Apr 2010)
    2. Finals. Held in 1 country with 4 finalists. Say Eng 2010.
    Semi Finals based on ICC rankings (1 v 4, 2 v 3)
    So, for sake of argument, let's say: SF1: Aus v SL and SF2: Eng v Ind.
    SF1: 3 Tests: June 1, 15, 29
    SF2: 3 Tests: June 8, 22, July 6
    July 13 - 20: Play off Tests, if necessary.
    Final: 3 Tests: July 27, Aug 10, Aug 24
    Aug 31 - Sept 6: Play off match, if necessary.
    Cricket needs a proper world cup.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I'd be happier if they just re-adopted the sensible Test Championship format TBH. And excluded Bangladesh and, these days, Zimbabwe.

Everyone plays everyone home and away, two points for a win, one for a draw. Series only contribute to points, none of this every-Test-counts crap (if you want to make it that specific why not go the whole hog and count every run?). Series victories are the object of the exercise, no Test-series of less than 3 games, decent trophy that someone actually cares about lifting, you get to keep possession of it until someone else goes ahead of you in the table.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I'd be happier if they just re-adopted the sensible Test Championship format TBH. And excluded Bangladesh and, these days, Zimbabwe.

Everyone plays everyone home and away, two points for a win, one for a draw. Series only contribute to points, none of this every-Test-counts crap (if you want to make it that specific why not go the whole hog and count every run?). Series victories are the object of the exercise, no Test-series of less than 3 games, decent trophy that someone actually cares about lifting, you get to keep possession of it until someone else goes ahead of you in the table.
    I dunno about only series wins.

Because teams are going to start resting players if they've winning or losing a series 2-0 with a game in hand which is not good for Test Cricket in my opinion.

The only real advantage I see from having series points rather then each test, is that some countries it's harder to win on due to ****ty weather or flat pitches.

I would love to see it, would you or wouldn't you have a Test Series Final ?

Nah, bastardises the whole concept of Tests IMO. A series is the only thing of relevance. Hate the idea of "final"s of any sort. That's what ODI cricket is all about.

I also highly doubt that many players will be terribly keen to be rested for a Test. Should happen if the current insane schedule is continued (South Africa played six back-to-back Tests last "summer") but won't be neccessary if it's assauged, something I'd also do, as would almost anyone.

School Boy/Girl Captain skipper's Avatar
    what happened to the asian test championship?

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    World Cups have ruined Tests matches in Soccer and Rugby Union lets hope it never comes to cricket
    You know it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    World Cups have ruined Tests matches in Soccer and Rugby Union lets hope it never comes to cricket
    If anything, I would say club football has.

Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    Oi. Rugby World Cups are awesome. Jeez... just because you are from Australia...

International 12th Man Julian87's Avatar
    You are kidding yourself.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    My god you are a tool sometimes. "None of this every-Test-counts-crap" FFS it's Test cricket, of course every single game should count towards some sort of championship. There is a big difference being beaten 5-0 and being beaten 3-2 in a Test series.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline

Icon5

I wonder how that will help anyone except leave a few less matches for the statisticians to tabulate
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    All these Broad fans are no doubt Kohli fans too. Fans of tosspot wankers.

Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    My god you are a tool sometimes. "None of this every-Test-counts-crap" FFS it's Test cricket, of course every single game should count towards some sort of championship. There is a big difference being beaten 5-0 and being beaten 3-2 in a Test series.
    If every Test counts, so should every run.

There's a reason performances in "dead" Tests tend not to be considered anywhere near as worthy as those in "live" ones - it's because winning the series is infinitely more important than anything else. A convincing scoreline is simply a bonus.

Obviously, a 5-0 whitewash is something a bit special, and also exceptionally rare so does not need to be considered much. I really don't see the point in bringing-up the fact that 5-0 and 3-2 are a fair bit different.

For the intents and purposes of a standard (ie, 3) Test-series, there's really no huge difference between 3-0 and 2-0.

And as I say - if you get pernickity about how the extra Test should count so much, you also need to start deciding that an innings-and-250-run victory cannot possibly be considered the same as a 53-run one, as there's such a big difference.

Matthew Engel's Test Championship generated huge interest even when it was unofficial; right now, who really takes any grand notice of the ridiculously complicated formula I$C$C currently have in place? Not many, I'll tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I wonder how that will help anyone except leave a few less matches for the statisticians to tabulate
    It'll help everyone because you won't need to be a statistician to understand how it works.

A Test Championship simply must be straightforward and capable of appealing to the masses.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by simmy View Post
    Oi. Rugby World Cups are awesome. Jeez... just because you are from Australia...
    When I was a boy the biggest Test was Aust V NZ now we have the joke where teams are playing 2nd 15s so as to protect their best players for the upcoming WC, lets hope it never happens to cricket

Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    what happened to the asian test championship?
    'Twas abolished. One of its main raison d'etre was to test whether a Test World Championship would be possible, and instead I$C$C took (briefly) Matthew Engel's advice and instituted a rolling Championship.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information