• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The greatest-ever left-arm finger-spinner

Who was the greatest-ever left-arm finger-spinner

• Total voters

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
If you told me the year, I might be able to guess.

About the only Umpire who ever comes to mind when "old" (ie, pre-1970s) fellaz are concerned is Frank Chester.
Hint No 1. He is not famous for being an umpire

Hint No 2. He is an Australian.

Hint No 3. Till I saw this picture, I hadn't a clue he had ever umpired in any games at all :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hint No 1. He is not famous for being an umpire

Hint No 2. He is an Australian.

Hint No 3. Till I saw this picture, I hadn't a clue he had ever umpired in any games at all :)
Go on, tell me the decade, otherwise there are countless people I could guess and never get it right.

You can't see his face clearly enough to be able to get any clue there.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Caused too much backache?
A surfeit of cricket bad for Umpires as well as players?
I always knew there were less errors back in t' day!
(Note: this last line isn't entirely ironic. While we can never know for certain how many Umpiring errors there were before cricket got proper coverage - probably around the start of the Nine era - it does seem conceivable to me that there were indeed fewer errors in halycon days)
If the stories of the likes of Bob Thoms and Frank Chester are anything to go by, I'd have to agree.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Johnny Wardle. :unsure:
Given that the competition involves such luminaries as David Sincock and Paul Adams... it's really a question that has no right to be asked.
"Least awful left-arm wristspinner" would be a more appropriate question.
George is easily the best I've ever seen.