• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Di Venuto for Test Cricket.

ChipSomeSixes

Cricket Spectator
If Jacques fails at Test level what about Michale DiVenuto? Very consistent opener and despite his age (33) can play.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
I hear Darren Berry's a good keeper. Could be worth a go when Ian Healy retires.
Haha, that made me laugh.

Simple fact is that there is always an eye on a number other than averages - age. Unless you've been established in the side for a while, it is unlikely that you'd be selected.

Also, I'm not 100% sure of the Australian team's stance on Hussey opening, but that could be another option with another middle-order batsmen playing.

On a side note (mainly noticed due to the names such as Hodge, Katich etc being mentioned), I saw Martin Love's name in a Queensland 2nd XI.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Played in some ODI's about 10 years ago, didn't make the most of his oportunity.
Limited overs cricket wasn't the strong aspect of his batting though, so it's pretty hard to judge a good FC player on how they do in ODI cricket.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Limited overs cricket wasn't the strong aspect of his batting though, so it's pretty hard to judge a good FC player on how they do in ODI cricket.
You what? In the 90's he was selected on the basis of his domestic one-day form after he belted several better than run-a-ball 50's. He was never anywhere near the Test side and was certainly considered a one-day player only.

As for whether he'd be considered for the Test side, whilst he's had a decent county season and was great last year for Tas, I do remember him being quite an impulsive sort. He'd be like picking another much older Michael Slater. Decent player and I thought he should have at least been tried in the 90's but now, it's probably too late.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Perm probably a bit young to remember but at the start of Di Venuto career when selected for ODIs he was a top class OD opener and an average middle order FC player. It was only really when he moved up to the top of the order after the dropping of the late Mason, he became more better then average FC player at Pura Cup level. The other thing is played more of his career for Tasmania as middle order batsmen. Its only recently his become a better FC batsmen then OD batsmen, atleast in Australia. He always gunned it in County Cricket in FC.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
On a side note (mainly noticed due to the names such as Hodge, Katich etc being mentioned), I saw Martin Love's name in a Queensland 2nd XI.
Just coming back from a serious injury. He should be back in the Pura Cup within the next few matches...so long as Carseldine stops hitting hundreds.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I've always liked the look of him tbh, he's a pretty similar player to Jaques in terms of technique and temperament.
Unfortunately he didnt really turn it on in Pura Cup cricket until after he was 30....if he were 27 rather than 33 then everybody would be paying attention, but given his age you'd think he'd be well down the que.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You what? In the 90's he was selected on the basis of his domestic one-day form after he belted several better than run-a-ball 50's. He was never anywhere near the Test side and was certainly considered a one-day player only.

As for whether he'd be considered for the Test side, whilst he's had a decent county season and was great last year for Tas, I do remember him being quite an impulsive sort. He'd be like picking another much older Michael Slater. Decent player and I thought he should have at least been tried in the 90's but now, it's probably too late.
As Chaminda said, I'm a little young to remember his feats during the start of his domestic career but I think he'll be remembered as a better FC batsman than List A batsman, but this was obviously not the case at the time of his selection for Australia. My mistake.