• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ian Botham vs Kapil Dev

Who so you think was a better allrounder?

• Total voters

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It's a nice stereotype.

The reality is, though, that caught-down-leg is always rare, there's no way to cause that;
No one was suggesting that he deliberately attempted to get wickets that way, merely that he took a lot of wickets with bad balls.

archie mac

International Coach
thanks but what don't you agree with?
A lot of cricketers go on past their best, Richards, Mark Waugh, Slater, Donald etc
I don't think you can take just one series but if they are at the top for a period as in the case of Botham 5 years then you can take that as the player we are debating. You could say the same about a certain Pakistani fast bowler:ph34r:

subshakerz

International Coach
A lot of cricketers go on past their best, Richards, Mark Waugh, Slater, Donald etc
I don't think you can take just one series but if they are at the top for a period as in the case of Botham 5 years then you can take that as the player we are debating. You could say the same about a certain Pakistani fast bowler:ph34r:
Using that argument, Waqar Younis from 90-95 is perhaps the greatest fast bower there ever was. Too bad its not true.

R_D

International Debutant
Anyway while we are at it... I haven't read a great deal about Botham so just interested. What lead to him from being such a terrfic player to being pretty average to bad in latter part of his career. Obviousally he wasn't past it but did he have injury or somthing.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway while we are at it... I haven't read a great deal about Botham so just interested. What lead to him from being such a terrfic player to being pretty average to bad in latter part of his career. Obviousally he wasn't past it but did he have injury or somthing.
Over usage.

archie mac

International Coach
Using that argument, Waqar Younis from 90-95 is perhaps the greatest fast bower there ever was. Too bad its not true.
He was a class act, and I have little doubt he is one of the best I have ever watched, maybe a lack of variety cost him being one of the all time greats

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Yes that combined with a back injury:)
Indeed. Btween 1977-83 Botham played 63 tests, bowled 14727 deliveries, Between 1978-84 Kapil played 66 tests bowled 14035 deliveries, btween 1976-82 Imran played 41 tests bowled 10728 deliveries. Not to forget , Botham also batted 100 times compared to Kapil's 98 and Imran's 63. Needless to say he batted much more than those two.

biased indian

International Coach
so wht is the big difference between kapil and botham..thy seem to have bowled and batted almost simillar..may be botham have played more FC ????

biased indian

International Coach
for me its how valuable they where for their team....so my order of the four will be

Hadlee,Imran,Kapil and Botham

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
that's exactly my point...you could say the same about a few other greats as well...and in botham's case as in any of the other cases, taking a 4-5 year period in a 15 year career and stating he was second to bradman doesn't make any sense...his career and his worth as a cricketer is a sum of all the constituent parts, the great, the good, the not so good and the ugly and only makes sense when evaluated as such, especially when considering all-time calibre...

archie mac

International Coach
that's exactly my point...you could say the same about a few other greats as well...and in botham's case as in any of the other cases, taking a 4-5 year period in a 15 year career and stating he was second to bradman doesn't make any sense...his career and his worth as a cricketer is a sum of all the constituent parts, the great, the good, the not so good and the ugly and only makes sense when evaluated as such, especially when considering all-time calibre...
So a batsman averages 60 for 10 years and then 35 for the next 7 he is marked down?

Does not seem right to me, especially if he only stayed on to help the younger players

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So a batsman averages 60 for 10 years and then 35 for the next 7 he is marked down?

Does not seem right to me, especially if he only stayed on to help the younger players
You have to take it in context. For example, I'd rather have somebody who averages 50 over ten years than somebody who averages 65 for five years, and then 35 for the next five. Consistency is the key in cricket, and if you can produce that kind of performance for your country then you will often win matches, despite not generally being regarded as 'match-winners'.

The player in question would be marked down because he couldn't display consistency throughout his career, but quite often people will remark upon the two different phases of his career.

JBH001

International Regular
You've also go to look past the initial 77 - 81 period where Botham was arguably the greatest. He was still very good all the way to 84/85 (though fading with the bat).

I think a reasonable assessment of career can be:
77 - 81: Great.
81 - 84: Very Good/Good.
84 - 87: Mediocre (if that).
87 - 92: really bad.

However, Anil you do make a good point regarding longevity.

Kapil had a long and consistent career, except for the last 3 - 4 years. IIRC he was useless with the ball after the 90/91 series against Australia where he took 25 wickets (I remember reading about his 5 for and Sachin's 100 and Shastri's 200 and Warne's debut in an issue of Sportstar as a boy - do they still publish that magazine in India?) and up until his retirement was merely bowling 15 - 20 overs a game and taking a wicket or so a match until he passed Hadlee. So I guess you could always look at his record until the end of 90/91 series and compare it to Botham's. It would probably make for a fairer assessment (though to even things out you would probably have to look at Botham up until the 86/87 series in Aus)