• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Deceased XI vs. Living XI

Who would win the ultimate grudge match?

• Total voters

Days of Grace

International Captain
Who would win in the ultimate grudge match between the living and the dead (appropriate for Halloween when these two worlds collide)

Dead XI:

1 Hobbs
2. Hutton
3. Bradman
4. Hammond
5 Headley
6 Barrington
7 Grout (wk)
8 Marshall
9 Trueman
10 O'Reilly
11 Barnes

Living XI:

1 Gavaskar
2 Hayden :ph34r:
3 Ponting
4 Lara
5 Tendulkar
6 Sobers
7 Gilchrist (wk)
8 Imran Khan
9 Warne
10 Muralitharan
11 McGrath

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dead XI has the better batting, living XI has the better bowling. I still think that any side with Bradman in it will be stronger than a side without him :laugh:

Edit: I would drop Murali for Ambrose. Sobers could bowl fingerspin if necessary.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Marshall, Trueman, Barnes are nothing to sneeze at, and the batting is almost superior by default. I'd be willing to bet that the dead would win. Though I'd have Keith Miller in the dead as well (and a couple other changes to both teams).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Let's look at it position by position:

Hobbs vs. Gavaskar
Winner: The dead

Hutton vs. Hayden

Bradman vs Ponting

Hammond vs. Lara

Headley vs. Tendulkar

Barrington vs Sobers
Winner: The Living

Grout vs. Gilchrist

Bowlers (not comparing in order)

Marshall vs. Imran

Muralitharan vs. Barnes
Winner: The dead (we have to compare a spinner vs. a hybrid as the new team has more spinners than the old one)

Wane vs. O'Reilly
Winner: The living

McGrath vs. Trueman

Thats 7-4. Though the biggest difference would be Bradman, as he is pretty much equivalent to two any other batsmen and any other strengths that the living have simply cannot make that up.

Last edited:

The_Bunny

State Regular

Hobbs vs. Gavaskar

Hutton vs. Hayden

Bradman vs Ponting

Hammond vs. Lara

Headley vs. Tendulkar

Barrington vs Sobers

Grout vs. Gilchrist

Marshall vs. Imran

Muralitharan vs. Barnes
Winner: The dead (we have to compare a spinner vs. a hybrid as the new team has more spinners than the old one)

Wane vs. O'Reilly

McGrath vs. Trueman

Thats 7-4.
The only one I would argue is Headley vs Tendulkar, and The living do have the stronger bowling line up, and while the top order is outclassed by the dead, they have a very good lower order, while the dead batting finishes at 6.

Also agree re Miller, you need someone who can bat at 7 :)

burr

State Vice-Captain
Would the biggest difference really be Bradman? I mean Ponting is a powerhouse if we're considering both at their peak, and it may be a cliche, but there is some truth in the saying bowlers win matches. If we take them all at their peak (eg. 93/4 Warne), I'd say with the explosive brilliance of Warne, Sobers and Gilchrist, I think I'd prefer the living.

shortpitched713

International Captain

Hobbs vs. Gavaskar

Hutton vs. Hayden

Bradman vs Ponting

Hammond vs. Lara

Headley vs. Tendulkar

Barrington vs Sobers

Grout vs. Gilchrist

Marshall vs. Imran

Muralitharan vs. Barnes

Wane vs. O'Reilly

McGrath vs. Trueman

Thats 7-4. Though the biggest difference would be Bradman, as he is pretty much equivalent to two any other batsmen and any other strengths that the living have simply cannot make that up.
Would argue in favor of Gavaskar, Lara, Tendulkar, Imran, and Muralitharan but other than that your analysis looks spot on. :ph34r:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Would argue in favor of Gavaskar, Lara, Tendulkar, Imran, and Muralitharan but other than that your analysis looks spot on. :ph34r:
All right, because I am Indian I am pretty much genetically compelled to overrate Gavaskar, but there is no way he was better than Hobbs. Hammond and Headly vs. Lara and Tendulkar is closer, but I would still go the former. Imran is not better than Marshall while Barnes was a bigger freak than Murali is.

Last edited:

shortpitched713

International Captain
All right, because I am Indian I am pretty much genetically compelled to overrate Gavaskar, but there is no way he was better than Hobbs. Hammond and Headly vs. Lara and Tendulkar is closer, but I would still go the former. Imran is not better than Marshall while Barnes was a bigger freak than Murali is.
They're all debatable imo, and while I would rate Marshall the better bowler than Imran, Imran brings more value to the side as an allrounder.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Wonder how the living XI would have done in each of the era's that they missed that the dead XI played in. Murali playing 60 years ago, wonder how he would've done.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Wonder how the living XI would have done in each of the era's that they missed that the dead XI played in. Murali playing 60 years ago, wonder how he would've done.
Murali on uncovered pitches, would've had to pitch it 10 feet outside of off stump for mine. :laugh:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member

Hobbs vs. Gavaskar

Hutton vs. Hayden

Bradman vs Ponting

Hammond vs. Lara

Headley vs. Tendulkar

Barrington vs Sobers

Grout vs. Gilchrist

Marshall vs. Imran

Muralitharan vs. Barnes

Wane vs. O'Reilly

McGrath vs. Trueman

Don't agree with these TBH..

Days of Grace

International Captain
Who would win in the ultimate grudge match between the living and the dead (appropriate for Halloween when these two worlds collide)

Dead XI:

1 Hobbs
2. Hutton
3. Bradman
4. Hammond
5 Headley
6 Barrington
7 Grout (wk)
8 Marshall
9 Trueman
10 O'Reilly
11 Barnes

Living XI:

1 Gavaskar
2 Hayden :ph34r:
3 Ponting
4 Lara
5 Tendulkar
6 Sobers
7 Gilchrist (wk)
8 Imran Khan
9 Warne
10 Muralitharan
11 McGrath
Changes to the Dead XI:

1 Hobbs
2 Hutton
3 Bradman
4 Hammond
5 Headley
6 Miller
7 Grout (wk)
8 Marshall
9 Trueman
10 O'Reilly
11 Barnes

I thought of putting Miller in for Trueman/Barnes, and leaving Barrington/Compton in the side, but really, if you have Bradman, Hammond, Headley as your middle order FFS, you don't need a gun batsman at no.7 surely??

pasag

RTDAS
SS said:
Muralitharan vs. Barnes
Don't know how straight forward that is tbh.

bagapath

International Captain
here is my 2 cents...

dead xi

hobbs
hutton
bradman *
hammond
compton
miller
ames +
marshall
trueman
barnes
oreilly

reserves: trumper, headley and noble

coach: frank worrell

living xi

gavaskar
greenidge
richards *
tendulkar
lara
sobers
gilchrist +
hadlee
warne
lillee
murali

reserves: imran, ponting and botham

coach: bob simpson

in a five test series staged in lords, bridgetown, kolkatta, capetown and sydney the dead will win 3-2.

Last edited: