• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Deceased XI vs. Living XI

Who would win the ultimate grudge match?

• Total voters

neville cardus

International Debutant
I am talking about the time prior to that competition and IIRC, Holding and Hadlee were both in that competition and did not even near 145kph.
That's because, as I understand it, speeds were measured differently in that competition. Rather than calculating maximum velocity, as is done today, they went by average speed, so it's only natural that the competitors should've looked pedestrian by their reputations.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
That's because, as I understand it, speeds were measured differently in that competition. Rather than calculating maximum velocity, as is done today, they went by average speed, so it's only natural that the competitors should've looked pedestrian by their reputations.
But the camera was only pointing toward the bowler. If not, it certainly gave that impression.

neville cardus

International Debutant
It was only pointing at the bowler from such an angle that it seemed that the only time it could track the ball was during the release, which is the maximum velocity.
Intriguing. I'll do some research into the matter when I find the time.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Thats what I tried to tell sometime back and raised a few unbelieving guffaws :)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I've never seen any proof of that, and in fact you can see that they often bowled short, which would not make sense if they wanted to maximize their delivery speed. To be it's an urban legend perpetuated by a few disbelieving folks who don't think people have gotten stronger and faster in cricket despite doing so in all other sports.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Boisterous, uninhibited surges of mirth, usually derogatory.
Thanks.

Ok, watching the competition now, lets see what some of the 'great' fast bowlers clocked at...

I remember reading an article which stated that the higher the front arm is when the front foot lands multiplied by the momentum generates pace. I quickly knocked this up while I was watching it; the pictures are taken at the instant of the front foot landing.

Link to article relating to actions when front foot lands: http://www.outwoodcricketclub.co.uk/cricket_tips.htm

In no order:

Those are interesting, who knew that Hadlee had a bent arm or that Roberts' action was biomechanically poor in terms of leverage.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Who would win in the ultimate grudge match between the living and the dead (appropriate for Halloween when these two worlds collide)

Dead XI:

1 Hobbs
2. Hutton
3. Bradman
4. Hammond
5 Headley
6 Barrington
7 Grout (wk)
8 Marshall
9 Trueman
10 O'Reilly
11 Barnes

Living XI:

1 Gavaskar
2 Hayden :ph34r:
3 Ponting
4 Lara
5 Tendulkar
6 Sobers
7 Gilchrist (wk)
8 Imran Khan
9 Warne
10 Muralitharan
11 McGrath
10 years on none of the dead have come back to life nor none of the living perished. Doesn't really explain the absence of Viv Richards though.