• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Basit Ali, Was he Talented or Overrated???

Bouncer

State Regular
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU-OkDkP_xI

Basit Ali 127 runs off 79 balls against West Indies - 1993

Please do watch the clip before u comment, this was as good ODI inning as i remember anyone play in early 90's....this inning he walked into middle when Pak were 87-3 in 30 overs and they ended up with 284.

I personally think that he was a good batsman but he decided to play too much like Javed miandad and almost forgot about his own game. He would come in, play out few dot balls, would try to take quick singles, some nudges/improvisations like JM...and when it looked like getting out of hand he would get out slogging.

Eventually lost the spot in team after his differences with Salim Malik and other fixers.... was over rated in my opinion, but could have done better too had he not gotten into controversies.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I dont think many on this forum have heard of Basit Ali ? Perfect example of a a hyped up player based on his performances in Sharjah.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Basit Ali had a tremendous Test debut series against the WIndies leading both aggregates and averages (222 @ 55+) over his more illustrious peers such as Miandad, Inzi, ASohail, RRaja...

He exuded much promise, but alas, as many do, deteriorated rapidly

funnygirl

State Regular
Basit ali is famous for that particular knock in 1993 against WI ,but got overshadowed by Lara's blistering innings in the same match which assured a comfortable victory for the WI.

skipper

School Boy/Girl Captain
He was really talented. Another Pak batsmen wasted comes to my mind, Asif Mujtaba.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
he was a talented batsman although his trying to ape miandad's unique style was really weird, since he wasn't all that good, he faded away, may have faced the vagaries of inconsistent selection as well, not sure about that...

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The thing i remember him most for is being so paranoid when Warnie was discussing where him and Heals were going for dinner one night and ended getting bowled around his legs that ball...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He looked like a very talented player from what I saw of him. I guess perhaps he was a bit wanting on the mental side.

Craig

World Traveller
The thing i remember him most for is being so paranoid when Warnie was discussing where him and Heals were going for dinner one night and ended getting bowled around his legs that ball...
Yeah that was their comeback to the constant time-wasting.