• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Simon Jones eyes England Return (hooraay)

jack_sparrow

U19 Debutant
http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/spor...sets-sights-on-england-return-91466-19979624/

Cricket: Jones sets sights on England return
NEW Worcestershire signing Simon Jones hopes his move to New Road will be the launchpad to help resurrect his England career.

The 28-year-old seamer has signed a two-year contract with the county after spending over a decade with Glamorgan.

Jones has been blighted by injury since playing a pivotal role in the 2005 Ashes series, but admitted the move could be the catalyst to help him add to the 59 wickets he has taken in 18 Test matches for England.

“Playing for England is still an ambition of mine and I hope I can restart my international career,” Jones said.

“Anyone who has played international cricket will tell you it is where you want to be as a professional cricketer.

“But I realise the only way I am going to do that is by doing well in county cricket for Worcestershire, and that has to be my goal for the time being.

“New Road is a great place to bowl so I’m hoping to get some wickets and then I can start pushing for my place in the England side again.”

Jones has suffered a string of injury problems since missing the final Test at the Brit Oval in 2005, which have kept him out of the England frame.

It has also hampered him in domestic cricket where he has made only 14 appearances for Glamorgan in two years.

But following his move to New Road he is confident he is set for a run without any further problems.

“Hopefully now the worst of the injuries are no behind me,” Jones said.

“It has been really hard having gone from playing for England, winning the Ashes, to two years of frustration on the sidelines.

“But now I’m feeling fit, ready to restart my career starting with Worcestershire then maybe, if I am performing well, catch the eye of the selectors.

“My first aim now though is to get a season under my belt here and then see how things develop from there.”

After 12 years with Glamorgan and strong links to the Welsh county, Jones said it was a difficult decision to leave Sophia Gardens.

He also explained that the financial package offered by Worcestershire was not a motivating factor in his decision to move away from Wales.

“It was tough and I received a very good offer to stay but everyone there has respected my decision.

“I am a proud Welshman and representing Glamorgan was an honour for me but the time felt right for a change.

“I have left amicably and there is certainly no hard feelings between myself Matthew Maynard or anyone else at the club.

“Coming to Worcester is a fresh start for me after such a long time with Glamorgan.

“I think I needed a new challenge after being part of the furniture there.

“It was the hardest decision of my cricket career to leave but perhaps I needed a change to help me get back to where I was.

“There were two other counties interested in signing me but having spoke to my dad and some of the people here I decided this was the right move.

“Now can’t wait to get on the pitch and bowl, and show what I am capable of doing.”

I think Mr. Jones is a very exciting and talented player. I for one would be delighted at his return and root for him even if I don't like england.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good to see him back, hopefully he stays injury free and recovers some of the form he showed in the 2005 Ashes series. England need him.

pasag

RTDAS
You see one of these articles on Simon Jones every couple of months usually followed by a 'Jones in latest injury setback' a couple of days later. Best not to get hopes up in this case.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
You see one of these articles on Simon Jones every couple of months usually followed by a 'Jones in latest injury setback' a couple of days later. Best not to get hopes up in this case.
Also applicable to Tresco and to a lesser extent Flintoff.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't see how a change of county is likely to make any difference TBH. It'll take something fairly closely resembling a miracle by now. Mind, there were times when one felt that in the Vaughan case.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dad was injury-prone, son is injury-prone. Co-incidence? Doubt it. Wouldn't be surprised if he barely plays Test cricket again. Terribly sad if the case, though; loved watching him bowl. That ball to knock over Michael Clarke was a gem.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
good luck to him. Hopefully he can perform upto his potential, remain injury free and add to this England attack.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Considering it took him a whole year to get going last time and the odds on him getting crocked again are roughly evens every time he moves, I'm not getting carried away.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
even if he plays again, one wonders if he will be the same Simon Jones of 2005. England's pace bowling stocks aren't struggling but if he can get back, injury free a fit it would be great to see him playing again.