• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flintoff was drunk

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Who knows TBH. But I think for the time being I'll lean towards Dunc's side - Flintoff's antics are well known.

The one thing that is sort of stalling me favoring Dunc 100% is why it was not made public there and then - I don't remember the situation surrounding the situation at the WC (as in who discovered it), but when Symonds was caught in 2005, the Australian team came out and expelled him.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't think "I am coach and chief selector on tour, my captain and key player was drunk, and I did nothing about it" says a lot for his credentials really. Why on earth was this going on during what was supposed to be the pinacle of these guys careers?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Flintoff > Symonds in so many ways. It's understandable why they would want to cover up such things. Especially given that the bulk occurred during such a disastrous campaign.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
True.

I was sort of leaning towards a no tolerance policy by Australia rather than the prestige of the player though.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Not really a surprise - there were stories at the time that the "Fredalo" affair was not the first instance - but Fletcher should have disciplined him at the start - as the Ausies did with Symonds in 2005 - then he might have got the message before the WC started.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
This just backs up my theory (which I haven't mentioned on these forums before;)) that Flintoff should have taken extended leave from the game for his ankle to fully heal, remoddling of his action and dealing with his alcoholism.

But, I guess hindsight is 20/20.

Flintoff isn't that great a test cricket anyway, Overrated for his two year great form period.

Otherwise he is hardly a good test batsman and has a bowling average over 30.

Great odi player but extremely overrated in tests. I guess he wasted his talent on Alcohol.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
8-) at psxpro.

Either way, I'm completely in favour of such things being hushed-up at the time they happen, all that'll happen if they're made public is people coming-out with more bull**** about disharmony in the camp or some other rubbish along those lines. I'd not have had any problem had the same thing happened with Symonds at Bristol. If people think properly, they'll remember that countless hundreds of people did indeed try to work that incident into an "it's all going wrong for them" with Australia in those few days. They shrugged it off - England didn't, and had a disastrous tour until the last 4 games.

As to why was it going on - ask Flintoff, not DF. If he really has been as irresponsible as first glance makes it look, it almost beggars belief. We all thought he'd gained more sense than that many years ago.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fletcher comes across as an egomaniacal prat

"He let me down" - get real, if he let anybody down, it was himself and his team-mates.

However, given that they won the series in question (this happened in the odis remember) it would seem that it had zero impact.

This is nothing more than an attempt to sell a book via character assassination

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This just backs up my theory (which I haven't mentioned on these forums before;)) that Flintoff should have taken extended leave from the game for his ankle to fully heal, remoddling of his action and dealing with his alcoholism.

But, I guess hindsight is 20/20.
WTF?

He may be a grog monster when he's on the cans, but it doesn't mean he's an alcoholic (unless I've missed something where he's come out and admitted as much).

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
He may be a grog monster when he's on the cans, but it doesn't mean he's an alcoholic (unless I've missed something where he's come out and admitted as much).
Not sure of the exact terminology but if it takes over your professional life then it is a problem.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Not sure of the exact terminology but if it takes over your professional life then it is a problem.
AWTA if it interferes with your professional life then it's a problem. Yet it doesn't need to be made public, but it has happened a lot with Flintoff it seems and the little slaps on the wrist he's been getting hasn't been doing anything.

If there is a next time you'd think they'd have to seriously consider axing him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It may be a problem of some sort (or it may just be a few isolated incidents at the worst possible times) but it's certainly nothing remotely close to alcoholism.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fletcher comes across as an egomaniacal prat

"He let me down" - get real, if he let anybody down, it was himself and his team-mates.

However, given that they won the series in question (this happened in the odis remember) it would seem that it had zero impact.

This is nothing more than an attempt to sell a book via character assassination
8-) If he comes accross as an egomaniacal prat one must question your skills of character judgement. It didn't have zero impact - whether they won the series or not is completely irrelevant (and it's not like the victory was anything but a complete freak anyway). And yes, Flintoff did indeed let himself, and his team-mates down - and also Duncan Fletcher.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
It may be a problem of some sort (or it may just be a few isolated incidents at the worst possible times) but it's certainly nothing remotely close to alcoholism.
Ok, sorry for my error.

wikipedia said:
In common and historic usage, alcoholism refers to any condition that results in the continued consumption of alcoholic beverages despite the health problems and negative social consequences it causes.
No health problems but I feel that social can be used to describe his cricketing career. But I am not gonna argue with you over the exact meaning of a vague term.

Craig

World Traveller
AWTA if it interferes with your professional life then it's a problem. Yet it doesn't need to be made public, but it has happened a lot with Flintoff it seems and the little slaps on the wrist he's been getting hasn't been doing anything.

If there is a next time you'd think they'd have to seriously consider axing him.
Wouldn't sending him to AA or then rehab be the next step, but if nothing gets better...

Athlai

Not Terrible
Wouldn't sending him to AA or then rehab be the next step, but if nothing gets better...
Definitely not our place to say I think, but the English side would have to take some action IMO, and if the cricket is what's most important to Flintoff than his decision should reflect that.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
8-) If he comes accross as an egomaniacal prat one must question your skills of character judgement. It didn't have zero impact - whether they won the series or not is completely irrelevant (and it's not like the victory was anything but a complete freak anyway). And yes, Flintoff did indeed let himself, and his team-mates down - and also Duncan Fletcher.
Reading both of their autobiographies, Kevin Pietersen is certainly more egotistical than Flintoff. But this may say more about KP than Freddie.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ok, sorry for my error.

No health problems but I feel that social can be used to describe his cricketing career. But I am not gonna argue with you over the exact meaning of a vague term.
Basically, alcoholism is to do with addiction to alcohol. Alcohol can cause all sorts of problems without the problematic being specifically addicted.