• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

As an Australian Cricket Fan I'm disgusted...

Scmods

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
At these claims we're racially abusive. Bugger off we are. These claims are an absolute joke. If we want to abuse an opposition player we'll pick on his ability, his lack of ability, his hair, his running style or his girlfriend. But one thing we aren't is racist. Murali himself has said that he has never been racially abused in Australia. So why is there suddenly threats from the ICC that if our fans are racially abusive we'll be banned from hosting games? While NOTHING has been done to the BCCI in regards to Andrew Symonds being racially abused? The hypocrisy is disgusting and outrageous.

We heckle opposition players, but it never has anything to do with race.

Craig

World Traveller
That Symonds thing is one of the most contradictory incidents from both sides it left me thinking 'what happened?' half the time. As rants go, this is top drawer, and I think I'm qualified to give that :p

Scmods

Just to clarify, if anyone IS racially abusive at any Australian grounds, be they Australian or otherwise, then they should be thrown out and banned for life. It is unacceptable. There are a million other things you can shout out, you should never ever bring race into it.

Aritro

International Regular
If we want to abuse an opposition player we'll pick on his ability, his lack of ability, his hair, his running style or his girlfriend. But one thing we aren't is racist.
Anyone who's spent an afternoon in Bay 13 when Australia's playing India/Sri Lanka/Pakistan might be tempted to question whether that's always true. 8-)

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Bay 13 is home to Drunks and people with an extremely low IQ that dont know any better.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm with Scmods on this one. It is extremely hypocritical to threaten Aus and let India off.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
At these claims we're racially abusive. Bugger off we are. These claims are an absolute joke. If we want to abuse an opposition player we'll pick on his ability, his lack of ability, his hair, his running style or his girlfriend. But one thing we aren't is racist. Murali himself has said that he has never been racially abused in Australia.

We heckle opposition players, but it never has anything to do with race.
Im not getting into the whole Indian racism issue as I dont know enough about it.

One thing I will say is that people are a little too sensitive regarding race. For example the above poster mentions abusing a players girlfriend.

To me thats far worse than any racist abuse. Basically, Im a big boy, as are most cricketers, and racist abuse directed at myself is water of a ducks back. Say anything against my wife (or for others girlfriend) then they should get the beat down they deserve.

TBF, the worst Ive got was racist abuse directed at my wife and those things combined are a nightmare.

pasag

RTDAS
Goughy said:
One thing I will say is that people are a little too sensitive regarding race. For example the above poster mentions abusing a players girlfriend.

To me thats far worse than any racist abuse.
Not sure I'm getting you there mate, could you please clarify.

Aritro

International Regular
More correctly known as bogans?
Yep, bogans who congregate in visible sections and occasionally come up with stuff that definitely qualifies as 'racist'.

I think it's important to keep it in perspective and avoid making it a bigger deal than it is, but I also think it's a bit flawed to simply disregard it because it's only bogans doing it. Bogans are part of the crowd too.

And I definitely think it's a bit rich to claim to that it doesn't happen.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Abusing a guys girlfriend or wife is far worse than having a go over ethnicity.
I mean with people being sensitive with regard to racial abuse. Granted things could be worse, although I don't agree that the example you've given is for a second (worse), but I don't think people are being too sensitive in an issue such as this.

Scmods

Abusing a guys girlfriend or wife is far worse than having a go over ethnicity.
Fair call. I was just trying to think of things that weren't race related. I do see your point and agree with it.

I say just keep abuse centred around ability or lackthereof.

Scmods

:laugh:

Anyway, the fact that you'd like to abuse opposition players at all speaks volumes imo.
So in 2003 (might've been 04, can't remember) when Roy hit a pull shot and Kumble ran the complete wrong way and the ball ended up going for 4, I was just meant to sit there silently?

Hell no, you have to give him ****. It's the way of the game. But of course you always praise someone when they do something good, be they your team or opposition.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So in 2003 (might've been 04, can't remember) when Roy hit a pull shot and Kumble ran the complete wrong way and the ball ended up going for 4, I was just meant to sit there silently?

Hell no, you have to give him ****. It's the way of the game. But of course you always praise someone when they do something good, be they your team or opposition.
MCG, first ODI of the VB Series between Aus/Ind/Zim?

I remember that match. Was a good one, no idea how India lost that. Had it in the bag.