• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who do you think Should Captain Indian Test team?

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
Dhoni, Tendulkar or Ganguly??

I'm sure Dhoni is the right candidate for the job, he's a positive and aggressive person who handles pressure well, same can't be said about Tendulkar.Last time Tendulkar skipped India, he was fairly poor.

Ganguly was also a great skipper, but should he be given another chance to lead the side? I'm not sure about that.

What do u guys think?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Neither Tendy or Ganguly should. They've both done it in the past and have at the most a year or two left. I'm unconvinced about Dhoni but India need to start looking to the future of their cricket, and go with a young captain, ala South Africa and Pakistan. Someone who can lead their side for the next 6 or 7 years, and for lack of a better option I guess it's Dhoni by default.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't want Tendulkar or Ganguly to have captaincy. I think Dhoni could work. It will either be a tragic move or could pay dividends. But either way, it has to be done now.

Ideally Kumble would be an option, but it'd just complicate things further since you'd have Dhoni leading the ODI team with Ganguly, Sachin and (when selected) Dravid all under him. Then you'd have Kumble leading the test team with the same big 3, and then ODI captain Dhoni under him. Far too much crap.

Give it to Dhoni and let it be.

Still not happy with Dravid's move to step down at such an important time. I love Dravid, I understand there is probably more to it, but it was a selfish move for mine.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dravid should be doing it, but since he doesn't want to I think Dhoni is the only option unless India are looking at re-installling Tendulkar or Ganguly in a caretakers role. I don't think Dhoni is ready for the Test captaincy and he has barely proven that he is a Test class cricketer.

Give it to Ganguly for a couple of years.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Anyway since the selectors have been saying that they don't want to go back to the past, i don't think Ganguly would get it. So if they are sticking to what they are saying then Tendulkar shouldn't get it either, which ideally leaves it Dhoni.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I'd give it to Sourav - even if its just for a year. India have a history of going back to ex captains (Patudi, Gavaskar, Kapil dev and Sachin are four examples). I think you have to take the fixtures into account. Pakistan home and Australia away would be a tough baptisim for a new Test captain so I would go for experience so you just have to ask which one of their ex captains has done better when they were captain and you have to say Sourav. Once those two series are out of the way (and Dhoni has more time with the ODI team) then you consider making the switch..

Purple_Forg

Cricket Spectator
i really think dhoni shouldnt be given the captaincy, but theres not realy many other options out there? maybe someone completely random - pathan?

iamdavid

International Debutant
Ganguly!!

Reckon one of the older players needs to get it probably only short-term for the next 12 months or so, let Dhoni at least put his test place in cement and groom him for it (unless another outstanding young candidate should emerge).

Ganguly the standout for me and if he was to be overlooked then either Kumble or Laxman, I pray Tendulkar dosent get near it.

Last edited:

TheEpic

School Boy/Girl Captain
Probably Dhoni for the sake of simplicity, but there's always issues about whether he's Test match standard or not, and it takes more nous to be a success in this form of the game, which he has shown through his batting that he may not have. I'd say Tendulkar because I think he has at least another 2 years at the top left in him, and after that Dhoni will probably be in a position to take over, having hopefully gained more experience, and most importantly, responsibility and intelligence to be able to take it on.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think Tendulkar ought to get it. Ganguly is too polarizing, and Dhoni is not Test class. There is no one else really.

jeevan

International 12th Man
I think Tendulkar ought to get it. Ganguly is too polarizing, and Dhoni is not Test class. There is no one else really.
AWTA. Dhoni needs some sort of apprenticeship at the test captaincy thing.

Though think most people are underestimating Dhoni as a test-class player, eg last day of 1st test in England.

pasag

RTDAS
AWTA. Dhoni needs some sort of apprenticeship at the test captaincy thing.

Though think most people are underestimating Dhoni as a test-class player, eg last day of 1st test in England.
Proved he wasn't Test class if anything, was running down the track going for sixes with the rain coming any minute. Was insane.

Anyways, Ganguly. Agree with Jono though, very poor timing from Dravid.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Proved he wasn't Test class if anything, was running down the wicket going for sixes with the rain coming any minute. Was insane.
With everyone around the bat, attack is occasionally the best form of defence.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Proved he wasn't Test class if anything, was running down the wicket going for sixes with the rain coming any minute. Was insane.
AWTA. Shows exactly why he shouldn't even be in the team. He was going for sixes, he was taking singles off the first ball and letting the #10 and #11 face four-five balls. It was a ridiculous innings.