• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That's not a negative. Munaf will be better in my opinion. Assuming, we can field an attack of Zaheer, RP and Munaf - that's about as good as we can realistically expect.
won't be sure of that.... I know it may not swing that much in Aussie conditions but Sree hits the seam a lot more regularly than most bowlers and in places like Melbourne and Perth with the bounce, it might have been a handy thing......

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can see a tour of Australia being a disaster for both S and Munaf in their current states TBH, have never thought S was that remarkable ITFP, and Munaf is patently not right, even if he was off the no-balls in his most recent run-out.

I hope they both miss it and Pathan goes - at least he's unlikely to amount to much either way, so won't lose anything from 3 for 350 in the series.

pup11

International Coach
So has MacGilla been ruled out of this series or is there still some chance of him playing against the Indians, if he misses this series then i can't see him breaking back into the Aussie test side unless the guy who takes his spot performs awfully.

biased indian

International Coach
Can see a tour of Australia being a disaster for both S and Munaf in their current states TBH, have never thought S was that remarkable ITFP, and Munaf is patently not right, even if he was off the no-balls in his most recent run-out.

I hope they both miss it and Pathan goes - at least he's unlikely to amount to much either way, so won't lose anything from 3 for 350 in the series.
pathan is a 100% sure pick for the series...i think...even if we keep the same team that is playing now..Murali K will be definetly out and he will be replaced by pathan..

Couple of thing going for him is that he has already been in one tour of australia..and another thin gis he is decnt bat and on his return even though in ODI he has tend to bowl with a good line and length

iamdavid

International Debutant
So has MacGilla been ruled out of this series or is there still some chance of him playing against the Indians, if he misses this series then i can't see him breaking back into the Aussie test side unless the guy who takes his spot performs awfully.
I think missing the India series is just about the best career move he could make at this stage, firstly by the time he's available he'll be 100% fit, and secondly whoever does play will get murdered and everyone will be crying "where's MacGill we need his experience and class" and he'll be appreciated again. However if he does play he'll be taken to pieces and selectors will likely look elsewhere, permanently.

pup11

International Coach
I think missing the India series is just about the best career move he could make at this stage, firstly by the time he's available he'll be 100% fit, and secondly whoever does play will get murdered and everyone will be crying "where's MacGill we need his experience and class" and he'll be appreciated again. However if he does play he'll be taken to pieces and selectors will likely look elsewhere, permanently.
What makes you think that whoever plays instead of MacGill would get hammered, they might pick a spinner (which i am pretty sure they would) or a fast bowler instead of MacGill and lets be honest Indians aren't as good as they once were against spin bowling they hardly use their feet against spin bowling and bat tentatively against spin that's why even ordinary spin bowlers have been able to tie them down time and again off late and if Australia go in with a quickie Tait/Hilfenhaus then they are also very capable on ripping through the Indian batting line-up, so if MacGill misses this series chances of his comeback would then be extremly bleak.

pup11

International Coach
pathan is a 100% sure pick for the series...i think...even if we keep the same team that is playing now..Murali K will be definetly out and he will be replaced by pathan..

Couple of thing going for him is that he has already been in one tour of australia..and another thin gis he is decnt bat and on his return even though in ODI he has tend to bowl with a good line and length
Pathan should be there in the XI but it wouldn't be right to expect too much from him unless the conditions aren't favourable for swing bowling and that's a big handicap in his bowling, he doesn't seam the ball or neither does he have the pace to worry the batsmen so he would strictly be depending on a bowling a good consistent line and length his batting though gives him an edge over the other Indian bowlers.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, was exactly what I was thinking TBH. Can see Hogg (presuming it'd be him) getting utterly collared (cue him taking 6-70 in the opening Test :ph34r:) and MacGill returning amind "thank-God-for-that"s.

Let's just hope the return disappoints. :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What makes you think that whoever plays instead of MacGill would get hammered, they might pick a spinner (which i am pretty sure they would) or a fast bowler instead of MacGill and lets be honest Indians aren't as good as they once were against spin bowling they hardly use their feet against spin bowling and bat tentatively against spin that's why even ordinary spin bowlers have been able to tie them down time and again off late and if Australia go in with a quickie Tait/Hilfenhaus then they are also very capable on ripping through the Indian batting line-up, so if MacGill misses this series chances of his comeback would then be extremly bleak.
Really, how many ordinary spinners have genuinely tied-down the likes of Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman and Ganguly? (Or Sehwag FTM) Danish Kaneria's about the only one who's come close.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
There's talk that RP SIngh and Sreesanth may both miss the tour to Australia.

If That's the case, India are really stumped for options:

WHo would be the five pacers then in the squad ?
I would say Zaheer, Munaf, Pathan.
After that it's anyone's guess........Bose IMO is no test material, IShant is far too raw and VRV is far too inaccurate.
It would not surprise me if AA gets a recall :laugh:

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's talk that RP SIngh and Sreesanth may both miss the tour to Australia.

If That's the case, India are really stumped for options:

WHo would be the five pacers then in the squad ?
I would say Zaheer, Munaf, Pathan.
After that it's anyone's guess........Bose IMO is no test material, IShant is far too raw and VRV is far too inaccurate.
It would not surprise me if AA gets a recall :laugh:
That laughed, Agarkar has been and almost certainly always will be better than Vikram Rajvir (how on Earth anyone ever put any wraps on him is beyond me, I've not seen many worse bowlers at the international level) and to put Ishant Sharma into Test-cricket right now would be about as stupid as to put the many other young seamers promoted prematurely by Indian selectors down the last 20 years or so.

Which, naturally, is likely to mean he'll be on the plane. But bad habits of a lifetime can change, and it has to start somewhere.

sunilreddy

Banned
My say is Zaheer, Agarkar, Munaf, Pathan, Balaji

Agarkar bowled pretty well on last two tours for Austarlia so he is the 1st choice to share new ball with Zaheer and he can trouble left handers by bringing the ball in.

adharcric

International Coach
My say is Zaheer, Agarkar, Munaf, Pathan, Balaji

Agarkar bowled pretty well on last two tours for Austarlia so he is the 1st choice to share new ball with Zaheer and he can trouble left handers by bringing the ball in.
He's not even in the TN domestic side right now ...

pup11

International Coach
Really, how many ordinary spinners have genuinely tied-down the likes of Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman and Ganguly? (Or Sehwag FTM) Danish Kaneria's about the only one who's come close.
Paul Harris in South Africa, MSP and Shaun Udal in India, Ashley Giles in India (02), Ray Price in India, Afridi and Kaneria in India (05) have all had tasted decent success against the formidable Indian batting line-up who are supposed to be the best players of spin.

biased indian

International Coach
Paul Harris in South Africa, MSP and Shaun Udal in India, Ashley Giles in India (02), Ray Price in India, Afridi and Kaneria in India (05) have all had tasted decent success against the formidable Indian batting line-up who are supposed to be the best players of spin.
can you pls put the series wise performance of any three u have mentioned..

i cannot aces cricinfo from office thst why asking....i am sure not single person will have decent enough figures

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, disagree TBH. Harris took 5-179 in his Test, conceding 3.03-an-over; Giles was economical in Bangalore by bowling often miles outside leg and did reasonably at Ahmedabad on a slow turning surface but it was only 1 Test; Afridi somehow got 5-43 at Bangalore but again - just 1 game; MSP and Udal when they got decent figures bowled mostly at tailenders and the Jaffers and Yuvraj Singhs, who are less acknowledged masters of spin; and Price bowled OK in 2001\02 but he's a far, far more accurate operator than MacGill, and those pitches seemed like proper Indian turners, there's no way he'd cause any great problems on less spin-friendly surfaces.

In any case, good as India's best batsmen may be against spin, it's not like it's impossible for a good spinner to be successful against them, especially in India.