• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Strange tactics from India

Looks like they are simply trying to keep Australia out there for as long as possible when they could have bowled before tea, had a break, and continue on afterwards

Now Australia gets 20 minutes break no matter what happens

Opening batsmen will be grateful

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really, it's a combo of the wicket and the lack of a penetrative spinner, even on day 2. At least with a Warne bowling, less liberties would have been taken. Then again, he was one of a kind really.
Not true last year. Remember when he was bowling around the wicket to shut up KP?

Burgey

Not true last year. Remember when he was bowling around the wicket to shut up KP?
Yeah, true it wasn't great bowling.
But only a great bowler could have done it.
This wicket seems a little drier to me than last year's. Could be my memory playing up.

Burgey

Sorry - jaques' stance. Heard Bob Simpson a couple of days ago on the radio and he commented on how, with that stance, it's difficult to move into the correct position if the ball moves. Thought it wasn't a bad point after what happened in Perth tbh.
Does smack 'em though.

bunny

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hey guys. How do you differentiate between a spinning wicket (Sydney), a slow batting wicket (Adelaide), a wicket where there’s significant reverse swing (Melbourne) and a good hard batting wicket (probably Sydney again in the 1st innings)? I mean how do international cricketers figure that out on day 1?

sideshowtim

Banned
No way. The third and fourth innings are a minefield here. India should not declare. I wouldn't like that one bit.
Minefield? Adelaide is generally good for batting until the very end. Don't let England's antics in the Ashes fool you, that pitch was still very good for batting as the Australians demonstrated later in the day.

He's done his team a bit of a dis-service here....Having a crack at the Aussies before tea would've been ideal as it gave us a tricky period to get through and 2 very weary openers from the field all day. They'll be rested up now and no tricky period so...Definitely selfish stuff.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hey guys. How do you differentiate between a spinning wicket (Sydney), a slow batting wicket (Adelaide), a wicket where there’s significant reverse swing (Melbourne) and a good hard batting wicket (probably Sydney again in the 1st innings)? I mean how do international cricketers figure that out on day 1?
You can look at the amount of grass on the wicket, the moisture of the wicket, see the dust and how hard the surface is, etc. All of that will tell you different things. For example, with grass on the wicket, you can expect assistance to the bowlers. If its very dry, it might break up and assist the spinners later on, etc.

Burgey

A lotof the time they don't I reckon. They go by reputation. Most wickets, unless they're green, wet or they're dirt brown on day 1, will be good batting decks. As the game goes on, the character of the deck will change.

Edit: what SS says is true. Welcome btw.

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
This is a joke, we got a way to complacent and underestimated the Indians batting. I'm sorry Hogg-lovers but he just isn't a test player, simple as that. And our fielding has been the worst for as far as I can remember, Hussey just dropped another which makes it around 6 catchable chances dropped - that never happens to the Australians.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Minefield? Adelaide is generally good for batting until the very end. Don't let England's antics in the Ashes fool you, that pitch was still very good for batting as the Australians demonstrated later in the day.

He's done his team a bit of a dis-service here....Having a crack at the Aussies before tea would've been ideal as it gave us a tricky period to get through and 2 very weary openers from the field all day. They'll be rested up now and no tricky period so...Definitely selfish stuff.
Forget England - same thing happened in the India game in 2004. I don't know about selfish, but it would not be a good tactical move to declare now. If India are lucky enough to continue batting, I might declare with enough time to bowl about 10 overs max, so you can get one spell in from your opening bowlers. Maybe.

The pitch is way too good for batting right now for you to just give it up. It's a moot point anyway as the wicket will probably fall soon, but I would be very unhappy with a declaration.

Burgey

While the Aussies continue to serve up this dross, both Noffke and Bollinger keep taking wickets domestically. Even on a road i Sydney today, Bollinger's got the 2 wickets to fall, and Noffke just keeps on keeping on for Qld.

RhyZa

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

It could just be a difference in philosophy, even if you feel it is the wrong one. I don't see see why people always assume these decisions are made for selfish reasons, especially when it's a player who has no history of such acts. He deserves some benefit of the doubt.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Declare?!? Heck no, they shouldn't declare. India should bat out till the last wicket falls and add every single run they can. It would be foolish to declare IMO knowing the history in this ground.