• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

TheLad

School Boy/Girl Captain
Plead guilty. I thought Australia were looking at a big one but Zaheer and Kumble bowled superbly today and kept going hard even when it looked like the aussies were on top. Loved the ball to Ponting it was great. Having said that 337in a day is still a good scoring rate and is not the worse score. There is still a decent score for the Indian batsman to chase.

Matt79

Global Moderator
^^ Nah, I hate anyone who whinges about umpiring decisions. Play the whistle and don't be a gimp if one thing goes against you.

In this case did Clark and Johnson add 30 odd runs for the last wicket solely because Johnson got the benefit of the doubt on a line-ball decision, or because they got a little luck and then India didn't maintain their previously high standard and bowled poorly to a couple of tail-enders?

Fiery

Banned
^^ Nah, I hate anyone who whinges about umpiring decisions. Play the whistle and don't be a gimp if one thing goes against you.

In this case did Clark and Johnson add 30 odd runs for the last wicket solely because Johnson got the benefit of the doubt on a line-ball decision, or because they got a little luck and then India didn't maintain their previously high standard and bowled poorly to a couple of tail-enders?
I love whinging about umpiring decisions tbh. And rugby referees. It's all part of the fun :p

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
I love whinging about umpiring decision tbh. And rugby referees. It's all part of the fun :p
But you've got your tongue-in-cheek half the time (I think). It when people start seriously on the 'we wuz robbed' that it annoys me. The rest of the time its just something we disagree about I guess. ;)

I love getting upset at umpires in AFL, but in cricket I reckon they're actually pretty good and that genuinely poor decisions are both rare and even out in the course of a game.

EDIT: BTW mate, sorry for cracking it with you a couple of weeks ago - you do annoy me sometimes, but I was a bit stressed with some other stuff as well, so you were the poor sod who said the wrong thing at the wrong time and copped the spray...

Fiery

Banned
EDIT: BTW mate, sorry for cracking it with you a couple of weeks ago - you do annoy me sometimes, but I was a bit stressed with some other stuff as well, so you were the poor sod who said the wrong thing at the wrong time and copped the spray
:laugh: Thanks...I'm over it

Fiery

Banned
But you've got your tongue-in-cheek half the time (I think). It when people start seriously on the 'we wuz robbed' that it annoys me. The rest of the time its just something we disagree about I guess. ;)

I love getting upset at umpires in AFL, but in cricket I reckon they're actually pretty good and that genuinely poor decisions are both rare and even out in the course of a game.
It's more the frustration at the lunatics who run the game who refuse to fast-track the use of the technology that's already there. All that happens now is the umpires end up looking like complete dip****s. That's what pisses me off. I realise people make errors but the technology could so easily be implemented and hence this issue avoided ...now.

This is a hoary old chestnut I know

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What a brilliant fight back from India!

That is how you play Australia! None of this 400-2 after day 1 rubbish.

Great day's cricket... absolutely brilliant. Awesome day at the G!

Hayden was brilliant, but Kumble was even better. What a bowler, what a captain!

Athlai

Not Terrible

EDIT: BTW mate, sorry for cracking it with you a couple of weeks ago - you do annoy me sometimes, but I was a bit stressed with some other stuff as well, so you were the poor sod who said the wrong thing at the wrong time and copped the spray...
:naughty:

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man

Hayden was brilliant, but Kumble was even better. What a bowler, what a captain!
Australia didn't do as bad as you think. They have 337, add another 50 runs because of the slow outfield and with one more wicket to go, it's 400 +.

And most of the wickets Kumble actually got were due to bad shots. Hmm, like P Jaques, no batsman should ever get out stumped in a test match, that's just throwing wicket away. And samething with Gilchrist, Symonds, they threw their wickets away.

Hayden was brilliant, you'll see it when Indian batting will struggle to make even 200.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And most of the wickets Kumble actually got were due to bad shots. Hmm, like P Jaques, no batsman should ever get out stumped in a test match, that's just throwing wicket away. And samething with Gilchrist, Symonds, they threw their wickets away.
So every batsman who get stumped is getting themselves out? You're having a lend, surely. I mean if they're stranded down the track having tried to put a spinner into the next postcode, sure, but examples like Jaques today, that's brilliant bowling.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member

Word out, very good to see India putting up this sort of challenge on day 1 in many ways even though 400-2 wouldn't have been a solid platform no doubt:cool:. But this morning had that feel of past series shockers to Australia i.e Lord's 2005, Mumbai 2001 as Slater said the other day Australia have been so dominant if you catch them off guard they with a challenge they don't seem to be a plan B, they just keep coming at you refusing to like accept that you are ahead of them in whatever weakness you may have found in them & has proven in the Ashes & in India 2001 it is to their detriment.

Not to get all excited as yet, but seeing Khan dismissal of Ponting the effect the left-armers variety could have in this series could be a big factor in unsettling the Australian batsmen especially with Kumble likely to be key on some flat decks. Big test for the Australian bowlers now IMO if India's batting maestros bat to potential haha this series could be something special...

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
So every batsman who get stumped is getting themselves out? You're having a lend, surely. I mean if they're stranded down the track having tried to put a spinner into the next postcode, sure, but examples like Jaques today, that's brilliant bowling.
Yeah, exactly, that's just simply not giving the bowler enough cricket. Australia pride themselves on attacking cricket, and every so often, it's going to come unstuck.

Kumble put on a masterclass today. Most of the Aussie batsmen were having trouble picking his wrong'un. Because his wrist is a lot more closed than most leggies (thus his lack of spin), I reckon the difference between that and the wrist position for his wrong'un is minimal. His use of pace and flight was top-drawer too, and even his strange run-up he employed for a couple of balls worked when he got out Gilchrist.

Harbhajan improved with the day, but Kumble was far better, and the wickets reflected that.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I think we'll be looking back at this pitch as less than great too, to be honest. 320-odd, as they are right now, will be a tough chase for India.
Nah, I disagree. Don't see the Indians having that much problem on this pitch in their first inning. India to pile on 600 runs according to me. Then, with a crumbling pitch, unleash Harbhajan and Kumble to try and enforce an innings victory. That should be the aim. Even if we win with 7-8 wickets in hand in the second inning, I wouldn't mind it too much. The good part is that there is a lot of time left in the game. So, Australia might need to make a fair few runs in their second inning to get them out of trouble. Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman are the key for India in that order to set the foundation for a big total.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain

Fantastic day it was, loved it. I reckon India have done pretty well to restrict Australia, and I don't think the pitch is that hard to bat on. It seems like the sort of wicket where you can stay in for a long time with relative ease but scoring runs isn't the easiest thing to do.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Zaheer Khan is a seriously top class bowler these days. It's amazing how much he's come on in the last 12 months or so. His new ball bowling was sensational.

Kumble was the pick though, and owned the day. Great day of test cricket, hopefully a sign of things to come this series.

I'm wondering how close India would have to get to be the clear #2 in test cricket now? England are pretty much out of that equation now anyway, but they lost 5-0, and South Africa lost 2-0 in 3. If India make it an all-round competitive series and manage to win a match, it'll be a fair statement.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Fantastic day it was, loved it. I reckon India have done pretty well to restrict Australia, and I don't think the pitch is that hard to bat on. It seems like the sort of wicket where you can stay in for a long time with relative ease but scoring runs isn't the easiest thing to do.
Yeah agreed. Batting was hard for an hour and it's certianly not a road, but it's a 400+ pitch for a strong batting side, especially batting first. It might be pretty tricky to bat on at the end of the match though.