• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
if it was monday would have been even better...could have watched three days of cricket on a go..

but any way i will miss most part of the last 2 test ..i am getting married on 19th :)
will be so busy
wow... congrats, bi.... :)

Wish you all the very best and hope your marital bliss won't spoil your appetite for cricket. ;) :p

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Let's show these Aussies what we're made of :).

India will win the series, you heard it here first (AS ALWAYS :p).

Craig

World Traveller
Well done BI, remember I want you to comeback even more biased or there will be words. I can see India if they are to win a Test then at the SCG or Adelaide Oval for mine, and perhaps the MCG depending on the wicket but buckley's (for the non-Australians this means zilch) at the WACA.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I hope for this series that India really take the best squad based on both domestic cricket and recent Test form.

I'd say that Ganguly, Laxman and Jaffer should all not be immune from a drop if they perform badly in Pakistan. Likewise, none of the bowlers barring perhaps Zaheer Khan (and Kumble of course) should have any sort of guaranteed tenure,

For the opening slot, I feel that Virender Sehwag, who has always been a stronger unlimited overs batsman than limited overs batsman will be pushing for a place if he is impressive for Delhi. Gautam Gambhir has performed just as well as Sewhag for Delhi in the past years, the difference being that Gambhir opens for Delhi whilst Sehwag is a middle order batsman for them. His partner Chopra is also a fine batsman but one feels that he is not quite up to the standard to deal with and score off the good line and length of Test match bowling.

For the middle order, Subramaniam Badrinath is a fantastically strong contender with 3887 FC runs at 58.01 (not too far behind Dravid or Tendulkar's pure FC averages). Furthermore, Yuvraj Singh cannot be kept away from the Test team much longer. He is the strongest ODI batsman in the team and rarely is your strongest ODI batsman not good in Tests. In his limited time in Tests, he has performed fine and showed no difficiencies with 830 runs at 33.20. This is not to mention Manoj Tiwary who topped the averages in last year's Ranji Trophy at 99.50 off 10 innings and Uthappa who topped the run scorers list with an average over 50!

For the pace bowling, the competition is much less stiff but with Munaf Patel having already put two very impressive FC performances - his anhiliation of Mumbai in the Irani Trophy and impressive 2 for 29 off 22 against Tamil Nadu. If India choose two spinners, it is anyone's guess who will play out of Chawla (youngest but most talented), Powar (good batsman) and Harbhajan (was superb for Surrey in 4 day cricket),

India cannot afford to stick with the formula who scraped past England. Australia, even post McGrath, Warne and Langer are twice the team that India beat 1-0.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I would think their records against Australia will see Harbhajan, Sehwag and Laxman (f he dosent light up the Pakistan series) make the trip for the tests. I think it would be great for Chawla long-term to bring him out here, but not as the second spinner because I dont think he's ready to play test cricket in Australia yet and I reckon Harbhajan would present more of a threat to our batsman anyway.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Ganguly's ***y 100 at the Gabba last they toured Australia was amazing, so hence they should just keep in the team forever :p.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I hope for this series that India really take the best squad based on both domestic cricket and recent Test form.

I'd say that Ganguly, Laxman and Jaffer should all not be immune from a drop if they perform badly in Pakistan. Likewise, none of the bowlers barring perhaps Zaheer Khan (and Kumble of course) should have any sort of guaranteed tenure,

For the opening slot, I feel that Virender Sehwag, who has always been a stronger unlimited overs batsman than limited overs batsman will be pushing for a place if he is impressive for Delhi. Gautam Gambhir has performed just as well as Sewhag for Delhi in the past years, the difference being that Gambhir opens for Delhi whilst Sehwag is a middle order batsman for them. His partner Chopra is also a fine batsman but one feels that he is not quite up to the standard to deal with and score off the good line and length of Test match bowling.

For the middle order, Subramaniam Badrinath is a fantastically strong contender with 3887 FC runs at 58.01 (not too far behind Dravid or Tendulkar's pure FC averages). Furthermore, Yuvraj Singh cannot be kept away from the Test team much longer. He is the strongest ODI batsman in the team and rarely is your strongest ODI batsman not good in Tests. In his limited time in Tests, he has performed fine and showed no difficiencies with 830 runs at 33.20. This is not to mention Manoj Tiwary who topped the averages in last year's Ranji Trophy at 99.50 off 10 innings and Uthappa who topped the run scorers list with an average over 50!

For the pace bowling, the competition is much less stiff but with Munaf Patel having already put two very impressive FC performances - his anhiliation of Mumbai in the Irani Trophy and impressive 2 for 29 off 22 against Tamil Nadu. If India choose two spinners, it is anyone's guess who will play out of Chawla (youngest but most talented), Powar (good batsman) and Harbhajan (was superb for Surrey in 4 day cricket),

India cannot afford to stick with the formula who scraped past England. Australia, even post McGrath, Warne and Langer are twice the team that India beat 1-0.
Yeah, I just posted in my thread about Yuvraj that I get the feeling he'll be in the test team sooner or later, most likely in place of Laxman, who is constantly on knife-edge with regards to his test future.

How much weight they put on Yuvraj's ODI and 20/20 form will remain to be seen, but I don't think Yuvraj will come in place of Jaffer. Whatever happens, we need a good solid, and set opening combination for Australia. Karthik and Jaffer did the job in England, and unless they absolutely bomb out vs. Pakistan (and I mean a whole set of horrible starts), they should remain for the Australian series.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Karthik and Jaffer did the job in England, and unless they absolutely bomb out vs. Pakistan (and I mean a whole set of horrible starts), they should remain for the Australian series.
Jaffer played OK at best, he has always been a below average international opener.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Oh he's definitely nothing special, but the importance of a set opening partnership in Australia cannot be underestimated. A large part of India's success in 2003/04 was Sehwag and Chopra's opening partnerships, blunting the new ball attack and allowing Dravid, Laxman and co. to perform against the old ball.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh he's definitely nothing special, but the importance of a set opening partnership in Australia cannot be underestimated. A large part of India's success in 2003/04 was Sehwag and Chopra's opening partnerships, blunting the new ball attack and allowing Dravid, Laxman and co. to perform against the old ball.
But Chopra in that series consistantly scored 20s and 30s off about 150 balls and so set a platform with an inform Sehwag. Jaffer is one to either score a duck or a hundred at a poor ratio, you don't need that at the top of the order and it certainly cannot be part of a set opening partnership.

If India cannot find a good, inform opener in the height of the FC season, after a 3 Test series against Pakistan and a few months after several India A matches, I lose all hope.