• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

AKkAz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hogg will get slaughtered against Indian batsmen in form. Pick 4 seamers, one of Tait/Noffke will just have to consider themselves unlucky to miss out afaic.
You cant completely neglect the role of a spinner!?

iamdavid

International Debutant
Any comments about India's opening combination? I suggest Yuvraj and Jaffer-
I suggest Jaffer and anyone but Yuvraj, like a few other posters I dont think Yuvraj's game around off stump is tight enough to open the batting in Australia, not a great judge of where his off stump is and dosent like to leave alot of balls alone.

Not too fussed who partners Jaffer, whether it be Dinesh K, Sehwag, Chopra or Parthiv Patel (if it were my call I'd go for one of the latter two).

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You cant completely neglect the role of a spinner!?
I'm not neglecting the role of a spinner. What I'm saying is that Tait & Noffke are quite simply better FC bowlers than Hogg is. No point in selecting him when there are 2 clearly superior bowlers available for selection.

Nice Septuple (is there such a word?) post btw

Laurrz

International Debutant
really surprised with Misbah.. he defends and defends but sometimes out of nowhere blasts a huge six.. pretty cool :)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd probably prefer to see Noffke for the 4th seamers spot, provided we're gonna run with Hogg as our spinner. Our lineup could be:

Hayden
Jaques
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Gilchrist
Noffke
Hogg
Lee
Clark
Johnson
Very defensive move. The Indians will rightly think that the Aussies are worried about their ability to bowl them out which, even given the fact they're spanking the Pakistani's around, is a bit hysterical. It smacks of damage control and assuming that the Indians will belt the others. Plus you have the issue of whether Noffke is a Test number 7. He's only been batting really well for QLD for half a season! Throwing him in as a bowling all-rounder for his first Test is crazy, especially since we haven't seen a decent score from Gillie for some time and batting him at 6 is very risky.

Also, I think people have a tendency to over-rate the Indian batting line-up. Only Sachin has had consistent form this past year and one innings from Laxman means little because it could all just fall in a heap with a couple of cheap dismissals. He and Dravid came here last time with a bucket of runs behind them before even setting foot on Australian soil. This time, they don't quite have the same form. Same with Ganguly. I honestly expect the Indian batting to struggle overall.

Pick a spinner or a fourth pacer, not both I reckon. I'm not sure whether Hogg is the man but if I were to go for a fourth pace option, I'd go for Tait. Noffke offers very similar things to Johnston, Clarke and Lee (outside off-stump, swinging away, etc.) and despite his good batting form, for variation I would reckon a really devastating option like Tait is the go. To me, it's a more aggressive option which is what would be needed to capitalise on any tentativeness by the Indians and, to be honest, I would think there will be a bit. Hit them hard first I reckon.

As for what the Aussie selectors will do, I'd say the only spot up for grabs it eh fourth bowler because they'll be loath to change a winning combination. Even that there's been no clear position in the press on Hogg as yet, I reckon he'll get the nod because I would doubt they'd be wanting 20+ overs from Symonds/Clarke on top of their batting duties. The selectors haven't picked four pace bowlers in a side since 1990 and it didn't work very well then.

Laurrz

International Debutant
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Sr...dish-out-plenty/2007/12/04/1196530651628.html

"I think all of that was over-played because it was not the first time in the history of the game that it has happened," he told this month's edition of Inside Cricket.

"I didn't do anything close to what the Australians did.

"I don't want to name any cricketer. But it is just not me, everyone knows who does what on the field.

"Most of them are questioning me of showing youngsters the wrong way to behave but I learned from what I watched on the screen."
interesting..he certainly is brave...but mentally playing against Aus in Aus is pretty challenging

hope he plays... he will be fun to watch.. and the crowd to him lol

pup11

International Coach
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Sr...dish-out-plenty/2007/12/04/1196530651628.html

interesting..he certainly is brave...but mentally playing against Aus in Aus is pretty challenging

hope he plays... he will be fun to watch.. and the crowd to him lol
Now he is just an idiotic personality who wants to put up a brave face and act as if nothing intimidates him, blah.. blah..., he confuses me first he says that he learns (sledging) from what he watches and then he says that what he does on the field is in his nature and that's the way he has played cricket all his life. :confused:
Anyways his ****y attitude would only do him harm against a side like Australia something that he should have already learned by now, but i guess he would need a brain for that something that the poor chap doesn't seem to have. :p

Last edited:

Laurrz

International Debutant
MacGill gone!!

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22869286-23212,00.html

STUART MacGill will miss the first two Tests of the series against India after being booked in for surgery on his right hand.

Cricket Australia’s Medical Officer, Dr Trefor James, examined MacGill in Melbourne on Tuesday and confirmed an operation was necessary.

“Stuart MacGill will undergo surgery in Sydney on Thursday for carpal tunnel syndrome in the right hand, a common problem that causes hand numbness," Dr James said of the leg-spinner.

pup11

International Coach
MacGill gone!!

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22869286-23212,00.html

STUART MacGill will miss the first two Tests of the series against India after being booked in for surgery on his right hand.

Cricket Australia’s Medical Officer, Dr Trefor James, examined MacGill in Melbourne on Tuesday and confirmed an operation was necessary.

“Stuart MacGill will undergo surgery in Sydney on Thursday for carpal tunnel syndrome in the right hand, a common problem that causes hand numbness," Dr James said of the leg-spinner.
:down: That's probably the end of MacGilla's career IMO can't see him making a comeback from all these physical problems, what a shame!

Craig

World Traveller
Pick a name from the hat which will decide who Australia's spinner for the India series.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
MacGill missing makes four pacers the best option - Hoggy isn't in good enough form and he's the only viable option.

Play Tait.