• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

TheLad

School Boy/Girl Captain
Maybe Noffke with the ball instead of a spinner is a possibility but I cant see him replacing symonds in the team as an all rounder. Though if they with 4 pace bowlers my tip is for Tait.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Whatever you might think it can't be denied that he would be far more handy compared to Symonds in the current Australian test team.
I dunno i'm not completely sold that Noffke is good enough as a #6 batsman.. i know he's been averaging in the 60s this season.. but ... hasnt he always just been a bowler who is a handy tailender? He must be an allrounder ...but a bowling allrounder rather..
mayb another season succesfully with the bat and i'll see

pup11

International Coach
I dunno i'm not completely sold that Noffke is good enough as a #6 batsman.. i know he's been averaging in the 60s this season.. but ... hasnt he always just been a bowler who is a handy tailender? He must be an allrounder ...but a bowling allrounder rather..
mayb another season succesfully with the bat and i'll see
Given the strength of the Australian top and middle order i think they can afford to take a few risks rather than taking the conservative approach, Symonds batting at 6 is not very likely to play a match-winning knock too often (because he is not a test class batsman and is more than likely to fail when the going gets tough) its the Australian bowling that looks a bit light after Warne and McGrath's retirements meaning it won't be too easy to get those 20 wickets anymore and Noffke is more than likely to strengthen the Australian bowling, so he is certainly an option that should be seriously looked at.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't know why there's so much talk about Noffke batting 6. If he made the team ahead of Symonds, Gilchrist would bat 6, and he is good enough to bat there without question. Noffke as a bowling allrounder at 7 ala Craig White? Maybe - not quite sold on him as a real option there yet though, TBH.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Given the strength of the Australian top and middle order i think they can afford to take a few risks rather than taking the conservative approach, Symonds batting at 6 is not very likely to play a match-winning knock too often (because he is not a test class batsman and is more than likely to fail when the going gets tough) its the Australian bowling that looks a bit light after Warne and McGrath's retirements meaning it won't be too easy to get those 20 wickets anymore and Noffke is more than likely to strengthen the Australian bowling, so he is certainly an option that should be seriously looked at.
true.. but the Aussie top and middle order is prone to fault at times
and Gilly is a lot less likely to fail than in the past
i think Symo can play a matchwinning knock but.. he's the type of batsman that when gets going, can push the field back.. hasn't had the chance yet this summer of course..

i think if our attack struggles to get 20 wickets then it will be considered..but tbh the 4 did a good job v Lanka .. was only Sangakkara brilliance that thwarted them on a pitch doing very little... (and basically it was 3 bowlers with MacGill bowling about 20 full tosses)

in saying that, the value of a bowling allrounder can be oh so deadly.. it is tempting (Y)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, you don't need to watch someone bat to know that an average of 17 (FOR INSTANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) is not that of a top-order batsman or genuine all-rounder, or bowling-all-rounder either.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
true.. but the Aussie top and middle order is prone to fault at times
and Gilly is a lot less likely to fail than in the past
i think Symo can play a matchwinning knock but.. he's the type of batsman that when gets going, can push the field back.. hasn't had the chance yet this summer of course..

i think if our attack struggles to get 20 wickets then it will be considered..but tbh the 4 did a good job v Lanka .. was only Sangakkara brilliance that thwarted them on a pitch doing very little... (and basically it was 3 bowlers with MacGill bowling about 20 full tosses)

in saying that, the value of a bowling allrounder can be oh so deadly.. it is tempting (Y)
I'm not so convinced with out attack. We are lucky Lee had a fantastic series, hope he can back it up. Stu Clark is always going to take wickets, but I think he is showing signs this year of being just a good bowler rather then his exceptional start to his Test Career.

Johnson doesn't appear to be the type of player to run through a batting lineup. He's ok and did quite well, but the jury is still out on him.

MacGill needs to be fit, and I thought it was a pretty interesting move for him to say that he can't get the good players out anymore, that's not a good thing leading into a series against India.

I really like the idea that our number 7 (Gilly at 6) has the potential to take a few wickets. I don't care if one of the bowlers is under utilized if we run through a lineup, who cares? There are more times that are batters are under utilized, because really there isn't any difference in making 6 dec 550 or all out 550.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Would hope Noffke (say he were to be picked to bat seven) would be aiming for more than "taking a few wickets" TBH.

As he's a genuine bowler, not a Symonds-type batsman who bowls a bit.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Would hope Noffke (say he were to be picked to bat seven) would be aiming for more than "taking a few wickets" TBH.

As he's a genuine bowler, not a Symonds-type batsman who bowls a bit.
Yeah, I meant a few wickets per innings.

The Australian attack seem to spread the wickets round well.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Noffke is definitely test class. His innings today was just spectacular. He had all the answeres for Tait and Gillespie, he especially dominated Gillespie. He only got out because he was trying to push the runs. His bowling was tight, accurate and threatening - but the luck didn't go his way.

Laurrz

International Debutant
I'm not so convinced with out attack. We are lucky Lee had a fantastic series, hope he can back it up. Stu Clark is always going to take wickets, but I think he is showing signs this year of being just a good bowler rather then his exceptional start to his Test Career.

Johnson doesn't appear to be the type of player to run through a batting lineup. He's ok and did quite well, but the jury is still out on him.

MacGill needs to be fit, and I thought it was a pretty interesting move for him to say that he can't get the good players out anymore, that's not a good thing leading into a series against India.

I really like the idea that our number 7 (Gilly at 6) has the potential to take a few wickets. I don't care if one of the bowlers is under utilized if we run through a lineup, who cares? There are more times that are batters are under utilized, because really there isn't any difference in making 6 dec 550 or all out 550.
yea the more i think about it the more i like the idea of having a bowling allrounder there

still, i think its too early to judge our 4 pronged attack so we'll see

(Don't mind Lee Johnson Clark Tait too)

Johnners

Noffke, Tait, Denton or Hilfenhaus for the 4th bowlers spot. Wouldn't mind any of them on current form tbh.

stephen

I'd probably prefer to see Noffke for the 4th seamers spot, provided we're gonna run with Hogg as our spinner. Our lineup could be:

Hayden
Jaques
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Gilchrist
Noffke
Hogg
Lee
Clark
Johnson

Johnners

Hogg will get slaughtered against Indian batsmen in form. Pick 4 seamers, one of Tait/Noffke will just have to consider themselves unlucky to miss out afaic.

stephen

Hogg will get slaughtered against Indian batsmen in form. Pick 4 seamers, one of Tait/Noffke will just have to consider themselves unlucky to miss out afaic.
We still need a spinner to get through the overs and give some variation, particularly on the current MCG wicket. With the order I posted above we have a batting lineup which would easily compare to our current lineup and a bowling attack which is superior.

Johnners

Thing is, as much as I'd like to agree with you, Symonds has done nothing wrong his past 3/4 test matches, and won't be dropped barring injury. Meaning, that really only the 4th bowling spot is up for grabs, and afaic having Noffke or Tait as the 4th bowling option makes the team a whole lot better than having Hogg as our 4th.

stephen

Thing is, as much as I'd like to agree with you, Symonds has done nothing wrong his past 3/4 test matches, and won't be dropped barring injury. Meaning, that really only the 4th bowling spot is up for grabs, and afaic having Noffke or Tait as the 4th bowling option makes the team a whole lot better than having Hogg as our 4th.
I agree that Symonds has done no wrong, but sometimes the hard decisions need to be made for the good of the team. I'm a huge Symonds fan, but Australia should be fielding the team most likely to win them the test match, which I feel is the one I posted.

Laurrz

International Debutant
I agree that Symonds has done no wrong, but sometimes the hard decisions need to be made for the good of the team. I'm a huge Symonds fan, but Australia should be fielding the team most likely to win them the test match, which I feel is the one I posted.
Symo is still better with the bat i recn... plus in the field too (well im assuming..)
and that #6 position.. its more important in batting imo

should Noffke make the team he has to be in the top 4 best bowlers imo...